BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Places 47 Years Ago: SANTO DOMINGO (BCS)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 07:28 AM
Baja Places 47 Years Ago: SANTO DOMINGO (BCS)

From the 1958 Lower California Guidebook describing the town between La Purisima and (today's) Ciudad Constitucion, as observed in 1957, 47 years ago.

Santo Domingo (del Pacifico). Pop. 165. Communications: Air mail once a week to La Paz; Army radio. A dusty, windswept, bleak collection of shacks, Santo Domingo is at the northern edge of an important farming area developed since 1940. Several thousand acres are irrigated from wells and planted to wheat, alfalfa, cotton, and other crops. In 1942 the colony of Maria Auxiliadora was established at Santo Domingo by the Sinarquistas, a militant religious (Roman Catholic) group allied with the Spanish Falange. Some 400 destitute peasants from central Mexico were brought here, but only a few families remain. Later other groups of colonists were brought over by the Government and a number of cooperative farming colonies have been formed, extending about 60 mi. south along the Magdalena Plain. The colonists are given land, water, farming implements, and government loans.

There is a small army detachment at Santo Domingo and a military checkpoint where cars are examined. Intoxicating beverages are confiscated. Meals and gasoline are usually available.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 03:09 PM

My entire family comes from Sto Domingo, my grandfather was one of those first soldier settlers that moved there, and pretty much a very good chunk of the population is in one way or another related to me.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 05:58 PM

Hi Jesse, I was thinking about you when I picked this place! Can you tell us about Santo Domingo today? Are there campos on Magdalena Bay near there that might be good for camping, fishing, kayaking? The maps don't show much. What's at La Banqueta? Anyway to cross over to the barrier island with an ATV or vehicle?
Gracias!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2004 at 05:59 PM
David, JESSE

Good old-time stuff David. I read this and thought back about so many of the smaller villages in the old days. Times have certainly changed.

JESSE, what caused you to move north? Did other members of your family join you?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hi Jesse, I was thinking about you when I picked this place! Can you tell us about Santo Domingo today? Are there campos on Magdalena Bay near there that might be good for camping, fishing, kayaking? The maps don't show much. What's at La Banqueta? Anyway to cross over to the barrier island with an ATV or vehicle?
Gracias!

You wont find anything of interest in Sto Domingo, its pretty much a small agricultural settlement these days, and nothing much, Las banquetas is a very interesting place do, theres a lighthouse and a deep channel where you can fish and swim, just be careful with the ocassional lost shark that wonders in the channel from the Pacific.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Humfreville
Good old-time stuff David. I read this and thought back about so many of the smaller villages in the old days. Times have certainly changed.

JESSE, what caused you to move north? Did other members of your family join you?

I was born in Tijuana Mike, my mom was the one that was sent here when she was very young. Many of my cousins from Sto Domingo come here to study, seems the family is full of engineers these days, so they usually stay here where the jobs are. A few stay in Sto Domingo and work as fishermen and farmers, but many also have moved to Cabo, i also have family in Loreto, La Paz, Los Cabos, Mexicali, and here in TJ.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 02:44 PM

Heres a map:

http://www.bajadestinations.com/maps/TBC3maps/StoDomingoElFa...

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 02:46 PM
Sto Domingo

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 06:41 PM
Where....

DavidK.... where do you find all these great info about Baja so many years ago...???

It is really nice and interesting....

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is much more than a dream..."
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 07:27 PM

David Goldbaum's report to Gov. Cantu in 1918 shows only one Santo Domingo and that located near Camalu in the northern district.
"Known as ex-Mission of Santo Domingo.
"The ex-Mission of Santo Domingo is located on the north bank of the Arroya Santo Domingo, 5 kilometers ease of the Pqacific Ocean and 35 kilometers north of San Quintin."

I was hoping to find some earlier reference to the one you are refering to but didn't.

E. W. Nelson, in his Lower California and its Natural Resources, published in 1922 reporting his 1905 survey of Lower Califonria gives this reference:

"November 14 we continued southerly over the same coast plain and about 8 miles from camp passed the deserted ranch of Santo Domingo on the bank of a deep dry wash where some wellmade adobe houses were going to ruin. Here a water hole in the sandy wash enabled us to water our stock. Just south of Santo Domingo, on a large flat extending along the course of the dry wash, we passed through a fine large growth of mesquite trees, indicating permanent water at moderate depth. There is much fine farming land here and all along this coast plain, which needs only water to become very productive."

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2004 at 09:37 PM
Antonio

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
DavidK.... where do you find all these great info about Baja so many years ago...???

It is really nice and interesting....

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is much more than a dream..."

Buenos Tardes, yo tengo muchos libros de la peninsula.

I love your California peninsula antigua and when I cannot be there in person, I have my books and the Internet to take me there vertually!

I have two books about El Rosario, featuring Dona Anita (Mama) Espinoza.

The most complete guide to Baja California (in English) was the Lower California Guidebook by Peter Gerhard and Howard Gulick. First published in 1956, updated in '58, '62, and fianally '67. With additional printings in '64 and '70. In the pre-pavement days it was known as the Baja Bible.

I am using the 1958 edition for my posts on Baja Places 47 Years Ago...

In my web site ( http://VivaBaja.com ), I have a link to allow you to view (and print) the maps drawn by Howard from the '62 edition. It's a look back in time 42 years! Many things have not changed, thank God!

In 1975, the book was totally revised to include the Transpeninsular Highway and other changes, by La Siesta Press publisher Walt Wheelock (with Howard Gulick still as co-author). The title was changed to 'Baja California Guidebook'.

The historic notes from Peter Gerhard, in both versions are exceptional.
Another good guidebook to get for a look at Baja in 1969, is Cliff Cross's "BAJA" guide. Tons of photos of the many ranchos and places and cool 'bird's eye view maps. 1970 edition and 1972 edition with great update notes and sketch maps. The 1974 update edition (includes Transpeninsular Highway) is not as good in my opinion, as Cliff just marked over his maps with a fat black line to add in the highway. Many places the location is not correct and the road log is not updated for the pavement.

I do have Pablo Martinez' A History of Lower California (English translation), a Mexican author. Also 'The History of (Lower) California' by Jesuit Padre Francisco Javier Clavigero in 1786, translated into English in 1937.

Antonio, mi casa es su casa...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.