Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: One student's accounting of her SCUBA certification dives
vseasport
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2009 at 10:06 PM
One student's accounting of her SCUBA certification dives

The first lucky thing we saw was a 4-foot guitarfish – I could tell by the excited pointing and the underwater air guitar being played by my 24-year-old son Luke. Simon, Vista Sea Sport Dive Instructor and our Maestro-of-the-Sea extraordinaire, musically mimicked back his own version of an underwater Elvis, so we knew the find was confirmed! The two of us had just accomplished our first backward tank splash down from the dive boat above and began following Simon into the crystal waters on the reef off Cardonal. We easily found ourselves 40 feet down and scheduled for 40 minutes on our first ever descent. ‘Awesome’ was playing on the reel in my mind, and we soon realized the ‘lucky’ sightings were just beginning. The undersea 'sky' was filled with starfish, in an abundance and variety I had never imagined. Now my favorite, the green and yellow Chocolate Chip Starfish, a uniquely beautiful yet pillowy star appears to have plumped up by eating marshmallows with those chocolate chips! My girly interest in starfish waned as Simon found his coveted and seldom seen Zebra Moray Eel and we immediately began tracking it’s gorgeous ribbon-glide from one hiding place to another. With 13 years and 1000’s of dives under his ‘weight’ belt, Simon’s comfort and knowledge are inspiring and we were in awe while he continued to find Green Moray Eels, Jewel Moray Eels, and seemed to be a friend to each as we passed. The long pointers attached to a huge lobster were competing for our attention when something cast a shadow while passing above, and we caught site of a beautiful Hawksbill Turtle. Glide, stroke, glide, stroke, it propelled past and we did our best to keep up with our landlubber fins. Cumbersome though they are on the sand, turtles are graceful and fast and we watched it dance away into the blue. Not to be outdone and with a celebratory note to mark our exceptional and effortless first dive, Simon grabbed my hand for a little gliding ourselves, and I found I was being swirled in a remarkable underwater dance, the music being made by our bubbles!

The endless stream of brilliant reef fish almost overshadowed the myriad coral around which they live, but the specimens big and small were beautiful. And speaking of small, some of the coolest fish finds are the smallest, expertly found and pointed out for our pleasure. The nature of sea slugs, huge shells and clams strewn with sea algae, tube worms that double as undersea flowers, and almost imperceptible krill were subtle in their ability to grab our attention, but were still contribute to the layers of wonder we were discovering below.
Luke and I were grateful that our SCUBA diving bookwork, our pool work, our DVD watching work, were all paying dividends down below. However, I was apprehensive on the second day as we began our first dive, which is to 60 feet. My apprehension translated to too much breathing, my already abnormal buoyancy keeping me from descending. With his calm underwater ways of controlling the student environment, Simon managed to get me to the sea floor along with Luke, when within minutes a school of our Sea of Cortez Mobula Manta Rays came winging by like an orchestrated school of underwater butterflies. I kept remembering my constant quote that Jacques Cousteau calls the Sea of Cortez the world’s aquarium. I absolutely can’t wait to spend more time in it now, not just cruising and fishing on the top of it!
This is a remarkably great area to learn to dive, with a remarkably talented and highly professional team run by Mark Rayor owner of Vista Sea Sport and lead by Simon Cazaly, a British compatriot who has literally dived all over the world. If you’re certified now and haven’t been down for a while, treat yourself and remember again the incredible sights and freedom of the water. If like me you’ve wanted to do it for years but haven’t carved out the time, perhaps this slightly slower season, will provide you the time to relax and enjoy the 'sea' life. Take the chance now to really mine the depths and beauty offered by the Sea of Cortez. I feel fortunate to have shared the experience with my son and can’t encourage you enough to contact Mark at 14-10031 or check his website at www.vistaseasport.com . If you’re going for a dive…call me! Theresa Comber, Awesome Sportfishing and East Cape RV Resort, combertheresa@hotmail.com.

IMG_0668.JPG - 35kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 07:16 AM

Theresa.......It's interesting you came north to EC for your dive and not south to the relatively overpopulated Cabo Pulmo. Not only is diving good off the point, wahoo are also sometimes to be had a little further out but still in sight of the Hideaway. Did you also get in the water on the reef at Punta Pescadero?
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 07:34 AM

Nice advertisment:rolleyes:
bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 12:07 PM

How great that Theresa had the chance to go thru the certification process with her son, an experience both are sure to remember.
:yes:
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 12:19 PM
Advertisement Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_John
Nice advertisment:rolleyes:

Athough you, the reader, can appreciate the entertainment value and literary skills of the poster, its clear that this business person is posting here on Baja Nomad as an undisguised free advertising ploy.

Yes, I might go diving with these people. I imagine that they run a professional shop and are qualified to do what they do. That would be up to me as a diver to do my due dilligence and find out easily enough.

It bugs me that they don't participate in the forums except to blatantly promote their own agenda. Doesn't this stretch the limits of the board's rules just a little bit?
Bajachief

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 03:01 PM

Blatantly promote an agenda?

kinda like
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com

This place still is the "chicken coop group"
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajachief
Blatantly promote an agenda?

kinda like
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com

This place still is the "chicken coop group"

Not the same thing, with respect. There have been numerous Baja business owners who post and give links to their websites. The difference is they share their real day to day personal experiences with the board, the fact of their business is ancillary.

To hear more about vseasport as people and less about their business is what is referenced.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalorena
How great that Theresa had the chance to go thru the certification process with her son, an experience both are sure to remember.
:yes:

:lol:
a post by a friend or family of the original advertiser
:lol:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 04:32 PM

no harm....no foul.

'baja on the fly' also posts here regularly about fishing conditions and no one has complained over ulterior motives on their agenda.

i read VSS's posts as informative about east cape diving and cabo pulmo, they can't help it if they are also a tour guide and outfitter for ocean sports.

their reports are fun to read. my experiences with Raynor's group is that they run a 1st class operation - as does the dive operator in Mulege. I'd like to see more "infomercials" posted from them too. they all should be called "postfomercials":light::lol::lol: if the web owner or moderator thinks differently then he can delete or admonish, right?

2 for one ticketing soon coming on Screaming Airlines by the way....NOT!!:coolup:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2009 at 11:58 PM
"A Baja Business Bitt"

I like your response Mike.

Perhaps a forum of Baja business owners, written by the owner. Multi-industry, the collective thread and thought of the businesses of Baja.

In their own voice and manner they can talk about their business, who they are, location, their service, seasonal specials... just their space.

Bitt, chosen with nod to the computer age, websites serve all of us as we choose nowdays . What more unique way to share the pulse of the land than by the entrepreneur of the 21st Century, the owners of Baja businesses?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 07:35 AM
that is an excellent idea!

good show.

this is my 2 bitts worth.

what say you Doug? time to birth a new sub forum??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 5-23-2009 at 07:49 AM

Living here in Los Barriles, I must say that what has me confused about the above negative comments regarding Theresa's story "advertising about her own business" is her story is not about her business; it is about Mark Rayor's Vista Sea Sport, totally different business from her's, if anything Mark is her competitor for Sea Sports, i.e. getting people out on a boat to have fun in the Sea of Cortez. I think that Theresa should be commended for her story. I guess I can understand the confusion as her handle is vseasport which one could confuse with VistaSeaSport?

Anyway, She only referred to her own business in one sentence at the end. Her story was about diving, she doesn't have a dive shop, Vista Sea Sport is not her business, it is Mark Rayors.

edited for spelling, (as usual).

[Edited on 5-23-2009 by Eli]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.