Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Baja By The Sea at Embarcadero Park in San Diego
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 07:39 PM

And most important the panel of dignitaries who graced the event.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 08:29 PM

What a great event. It was great to see several nomads there, Cyndarouh and Lance, SDRonni and husband (sorry I forgot nice gentelmans name), jeans, Udo and wife Jana, Bob H, Graham and Bonni. I was told that David K was there and also dtbushpilot and BajaGeoff but I missed them. I'm sure many others were there but it was a big crowd and of course Simone (Mrs FDT) and Junior nomad Sofia were also there and a lot of mexicans I know :rolleyes:
It was overcast all day long and I now know why, Overcast was there (who told him he could go?) :lol:
Lots of beer and wine and food for everyone and all for free. I had a lot of fun with Udo chasing down all of the mayors and the governor for a picture, I'm sure he will be posting them. Turns out governor Osuna thought Udo was a gringo, He has to tell you the story.
Thanks to CANIRAC (the restaurants association) for putting on this great event and of course the great help they had from the secretary of tourism.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 09:23 PM

Fun, fun FUN! I will get pics up tomorrow, but I ran into Hugh & Carol Kramer from Discover Baja Travel Club...they've moved their offices to UTC area of San Diego. Then I ran into Celia Diaz of Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee. She had arranged my mother's Coast Guard rescue from Gonzaga a few years ago. She is a sweet woman whose non-profit agency has helped hundreds of injured or ill
Americans make it back home. (For a $30 Membership). She then introduced me to Hugo Torres!

Then I saw MexicoTed (Donovan) who is promoting Baja Expos as far away as Chicago. I guess the government has loosened some money for promotion.

Udo & Janna Winkler were delightful...I didn't get a chance to talk to SDronnie.

Graham & Bonni were the first I met there, (watch for our pic in La Frontera) but I did not find the largest group of Nomads until I got to the Tecate booth.:lol: (Mr. & Mrs. DK, BajaGeoff and Mr. & Mrs. UdoWinkler)

FDT managed to get photo ops for Udo, who wanted to meet all the bigwigs.

The drizzle had stopped by noon and it was comfortable up until late afternoon when the wind came up...

I was telling UDO & Janna about the parties we used to have on both sides of the border....sure do miss them!

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 09:29 PM

We got there about 1:45 and did some food, beer and wine tasting and that was about it. We did see Geoff and Jennifer but they looked pretty busy so we just kept walking. We also ran into David K and Elizabeth and her daughter.

The weather was overcast although it was warm as the wind was very light for being on the bay. The food was really good, we sampled some delicious seafood including Ceviche Scallops, all very tasty.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 08:27 AM

sounds like alot of fun, wishwe lived closer so that we could have attendend.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 08:42 AM
PHOTOS from Saturday's big event!

Baja Angel's daughter Amber joined us for a very fun afternoon near SeaPort Village... The weather was over-cast/ cloudy, but was dry and not too cold for the time we were there (1:00pm to 4:30pm).

It was great seeing and meeting Nomads, too...

The wine and beer samples were generous, but when we got near the food samples... the lines were a kilometer long! That's okay, we know how good the food in Baja is, already!

We hoped to party with Ferna, but everyone said he was still in Tijuana when we got there... When he did arrive late, we couldn't find him... The event has to be labled a huge success by the size of the tunout!!!

Graham and Bonni Mackintosh were the first amigos we bumped into and photographed.

Wine and wine dipping syrup, which was yummy!

BajaSol and Von

BajaSol (Mike) has produced a wonderful video about Baja and hopes to produce a TV show about Baja!

This is a new beer from Mexicali.

Tecate Beer was well represented!

Jennifer and BajaGeoff of BajaBound.com... a major sponsor of Baja Nomad Forums and a great Insurance for Baja bound travelers... here with Baja Nomad 'jeans'.

Udo and Janna join in the photo!

Janna & Udo Winkler join Graham and Bonni Mackintosh here.

More Photos Coming...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 09:04 AM
A BIG TURNOUT! (Part 2 Photos)

Amber, Mexico Ted, Baja Angel

David K and Mexico Ted

David K, Mexico Ted, Baja Sol

Hugh and Carol Kramer of the Discover Baja Travel Club

We got to meet David 'dtbushpilot', and his wife Jill and their doggie cacahuete (peanut)... dt spotted me and came right over and introduced himself... That's the way to do it... Nomads meeting in person!

Can you say LOBSTER?

San Diego mayor, Jerry Sanders was enjoying the day, as well!

Chuck 'Baja Warrior' and his wife Chris enjoyed the day as much as the rest of us!

Anytime a Baja event is announced, I highly recommend you try and come to it!

Until next time, have fun and live life!

[Edited on 5-31-2009 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 11:57 AM

Really cool David! Wish everyone would of been able to make it.

Everything was free couldnt believe it! I really liked the Cucapa Beer it was just like Negro Modelo.

I loved the black mussle soup it was delicous.

They had all you can eat pure Guacamole no plates but you could put

all you wanted on the chips.

READY SET.....................
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 01:51 PM

I think my post is a bit too long. I have written two separate posts on our experience at the Baja By The Sea with all the Nomads, but none showed up so far. I've been writing since 10:30 this morning.
Hopefully this will come through...a test!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 03:17 PM

[Let's how this cut & paste works out]
This time I am saving this in Word and copy & paste it to the board. It’s a lot of work to write two long previous posts and a post a bunch of photos, and click on the post button and nothing comes out.
After leaving the Baja by the Sea Expo last evening we went to the midnight showing (the only one available) of STAR TREK and did not get home until 3 a.m. The picture was better the second time around in IMAX. I highly recommend it.

I know that we have had several posts so far on the subject, but would like to share my wife Jana’s and mine views.
Our primary objective was to visit with Nomads at the gathering, but the members did not start showing up until after one, and food was being served at about 1:15 pm. We are the type to open and close the party so we showed up at 11:00 a.m. Some of the booths were still setting up, but there were some munchies already available at some booths. We tried a sardine pate (sounds terrible until you taste it). YUMMO! We also tried the choros and choro chowder. Also a great find. The guacamole booth was also starting early. I am guessing that they brought the guacamole from Mexico, because whole avocados are not permitted.
We stood in line at several booths that included lobster burritos, marlin burritos, pizza, sushi (three booths), fish tacos, ceviche, caracol ensalada, paella that was more like a gumbo, Carne asada, varietal cheeses, about 8 different wines, wine syrup, and varietal olive oils. Did I mention a WHOLE fish taco per person? There were also about 8 other burrito booths, plus some chimichanga burritos, and five booths of beer, plus Los Remedios Restaurante Bar and Cantina in TJ was giving away margaritas. Many hotels were giving away 20% discount coupons, including the El Cortez in San Felipe.
After our feeding frenzy we went in search of Nomads expecting them to proudly wear their Baja Nomads shirts. Only David and I wore our shirts. Although DTbushpilot, and his lovely wife Jill who was cuddling Cacahuete, tapped my on my shoulder and immediately introduced himself. Great people! Then we mozied some more and found a large gathering of Nomads (where else?) at the Tecate beer booth. There were David K, Elizabeth and her daughter Amber, Baja Sol, Von and Bob H, Then along came Graham Macintosh and his wife Bonni. Great get-together. It was as if we were long time friends and hadn’t seen each other in years. Then about three p.m. Fernando with his daughter in tow and his sexy wife Simone show up. What a great person. I figured he knew all of the dignitaries that were there so I asked him to introduce me. The Governor of Baja was on his way out to his armor plated SUV so we had to run to catch up with his entourage. Fortunately he stopped for another interview and I managed to speak with him for a few moments. He was all smiles and gleeful that a Gringo came over to see him, but there was a look of disappointment in his face when I spoke to him in perfect Spanish and he uttered that he thought I was a gringo and I end up being a local from Baja. Jana, Jean, and Fernando really got a kick out of the Governor’s comments.
And thanks to Fernando I managed to get my photo taken with several Mayors.
In all it was a great experience. There were probably a few thousand in attendance with a 50/50 split between San Diegans and Spanish speaking people. In the parking lots, there was a large contingent of Baja license plates.
I feel this was a great success for the Baja tourism board. And even tough we were in the U.S., the aromas, music, and Spanish language, really made one feel that we were south of the border.
I think I’ll post only three photos at a time. It’s a lot of work to do this and then post and nothing happens.
Udo & Jana

Here are two of the 8 kilo lobsters that the Lobster House from Puerto Nuevo brought over.

The veggie booth from the Ensenada region:

The excellent carne asada served.

About a 30 kilo tuna display from the tuna pens between Ensenada and El Mirador

Udo

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 03:27 PM

Amazing when you press the right buttons!

The paella from the Lobster House in Puerto Nuevo

Hugo Torres (Mayor of Rosarito) and the Secretary of Baja Tourism, cook burritos for the crowd.

Fernando, Simone, their cute dughter, my wife and me, with xolo the mascot from the Tijuana national soccer tieam.

The Mayor of Tecate, myself, and the secretary of tourism discuss the short border waits at Tecate plus the famous bakery across from the park in Tecate.

Udo

Pops
Nomad

Mood: Therianthropic

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 03:34 PM

choros ???? choro chowder ????:rolleyes:

If you make something idiot proof, someone will always make a better idiot.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 03:35 PM

Last of my photos, and six hours after my first try.

Mayor Torres and I discuss the breathtaking beaches in Rosarito

Baja's Governor, Mr Milan, and I share a laugh. You should have seen his body guards when I walked up!

Ensenada's Mayor and I discuss the tourist trade and cruise business

[Edited on 5-31-2009 by udowinkler]

Udo

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 04:19 PM

WOW....If this is going to be an annual event, I'll bet next year it'll get a lot more much deserved respect. Sorry I missed it.
Did anyone mention Baja/Med or is that something you're supposed to discern yourself?

Oh yeah...one more thing...Are those lobsters in season now or are they stuffed table decorations?
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 04:26 PM

I touched them, Dennis, they were real. As you can see, however, they had been cooked. They even brought a third one for the paella gumbo.
They were not on ice, therefore they were trash after the event. Shame.

Udo

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pops
choros ???? choro chowder ????:rolleyes:

Choros are the coastal mussels available on most of the west coast of Baja. The choro bisque was a take on lobster bisque. I was really delicious.
They are a world different from the New Zeland mussels we see in the U.S. The flavor is much softer in the Baja choros.

Udo

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
I touched them, Dennis, they were real. As you can see, however, they had been cooked. They even brought a third one for the paella gumbo.
They were not on ice, therefore they were trash after the event. Shame.

Kind of wasteful, for sure. Three bucks worth of ice would have saved them from the trash can. I'll let someone else make a political statement about this. I'm not in the mood.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 09:15 PM

Udo... wow, what a great reporter you are! Glad you got to touch all the important items from Baja... including the governor!

Thanks for your take on yesterday's BIG event!!!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 09:50 PM

Thanks David. It was soooo nice to meet Elizabeth finally! You two are great people to hang around with.
Jean was great also, but she liked hanging around the margarita booth, which my wife liked too!

Udo

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 10:00 PM

Thank you Udo...

Perhaps a Baja-isk fiesta here sometime? I have the Baja-theme movies and a keg of Tecate in the kegerator to share!

Hope to visit with you and la esposa Jana, mas en la futura!:D

[Edited on 6-1-2009 by David K]

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.