Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Baja By The Sea at Embarcadero Park in San Diego
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 10:02 PM

We made our way to Seaport Village to find all the parking lots full. We pulled the plug and decided to go for a long walk up at Balboa Park and Hillcrest.

Next time-

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 10:14 PM

It was quite an event Zac... perhaps too crowded for most of us... but the free beer and wine flowed without delay! We arrived at 1:00pm and the lot was very full... but just cruised slowly and people were leaving constantly, opening up parking spots. It is like fishing, just be patient... Sorry we missed you... Haven't seen you and Tracy (or the baby) in a while!

Did you run in the Rock 'n Roll marathon today?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler

They were not on ice, therefore they were trash after the event. Shame.

I am quite positive that they were not trash, they were used for the burritos along with many others they brought, those 2 were hollow and the Paella I would not not compare it to gumbo (a soup) but if we need to look for a similarity it would be more like Jambalaya (Simones step dad has a Cajun party once a year).

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 08:40 AM

We were there, but way too early. We were in San Diego only for the day and our schedule brought us to Seaport Village about 10am. We knew we were too early so we wandered the village for a while and took our first run through the event about 11:30, just to see what was happening. Not much at that time. We made about 3 cruises through the event, last one about 1:00, still not much happening. We were amused by the fact that the truck bringing lots of the food supplies arrived at the event about noon! That's when the light bulb went off and we realized that a Baja event would naturally be happening on Baja time:biggrin::biggrin:
We were so hoping to meet some Nomads, and now that I see the pix posted I realize we shadowed Udo and Jana for quite a while (Udo, we couldn't see your Baja Nomad logo underneath your yellow windbreaker....) and even chatted offhand with them. Saw Hugh & Carol sitting on a bench.
It sounds like the party got started about 1:30 and I wish we'd taken one more run at it. But we were tired and wet and cold and decided to head north to Pacific Beach where we knew we could have a bowl of clam chowder (not the best) at the Green Flash, I could put my ocean deprived tootsies in the Pacific, and walk the Crystal Pier (my favorite place north of the border!).
I'm glad you all had a wonderful time and like Dennis I say please encourage one next year.
(Udo, sent you a U2U)
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 11:09 AM

I arrived around 3:30pm with a couple of friends of mine. It was just a fantastic event! The Tecate beer was flowing quickly and you could just stand around their tent and have your fair share. Then the food lines. Not too bad - some booths were beginning to run out of food around 5pm. TJ beer had plenty, and after four or five times in line the small sample cup was upgraded to a 12-oz cup! Those guys know how to market their beer! I could not believe how much food was being served. After waiting in the first line - you take your plate and eat your food while standing in another line. And, on and on and on you go!

Does anyone know if this is going to be an annual event? I surely hope it helps boost tourism in Baja!

It was nice to see Ferna and his wife again and meet Udo - but, missed everyone else. It was pretty crowded. I'd like to go back again.

Bob H

[Edited on 6-1-2009 by Bob H]
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 12:00 PM

What a nice event! I was surprised there were so many there, considering the weather. Yes, parking was at a premium. It was nice to see Ferna again, and to meet Jeans, Udo and Jana. Being there, with all the food, sights, sounds and smells, really made me want to go back down to Baja. We haven't been in a while..........must remedy that! Did get a chance to talk to Mayor Torres, who told me that the convention center going up just north of Rosarito will be completed in a year. Is that realistic???? (don't laugh at me!)
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
What a nice event! I was surprised there were so many there, considering the weather. Yes, parking was at a premium. It was nice to see Ferna again, and to meet Jeans, Udo and Jana. Being there, with all the food, sights, sounds and smells, really made me want to go back down to Baja. We haven't been in a while..........must remedy that! Did get a chance to talk to Mayor Torres, who told me that the convention center going up just north of Rosarito will be completed in a year. Is that realistic???? (don't laugh at me!)

Realistic to build it in a year or fill it with conventioneers? My observation is that when Meixco needs to do someting fast- it can. Most US companies wouldn't consider an out-of-country convention for liability reasons. Considering his is the biggest hotel owner in the area- he would personally benefit of course. And he would need to get it all done before the next election- because every election seems to reset the time and money clock on all projects.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
jeans was great also, but she liked hanging around the margarita booth, which my wife liked too!

Hey....no fair...they just kept coming by with the tray, I helped to lighten his load! :saint:

The poor guy never made it out very far before getting mobbed.

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 02:16 PM

Great seeing everyone on Saturday. The event was a lot of fun and well put together. Only setback seemed to be the parking, which was difficult.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thank you Udo...

Perhaps a Baja-isk fiesta here sometime? I have the Baja-theme movies and a keg of Tecate in the kegerator to share!

Hope to visit with you and la esposa Jana, mas en la futura!:D

[Edited on 6-1-2009 by David K]

I'll make things easier for a lot of people...if we have a Baja-isk fiesta, I promise to do some or most of the cooking. I have enough "stuff" to feed 500. All we need are a few tables.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
I'll make things easier for a lot of people...if we have a Baja-isk fiesta, I promise to do some or most of the cooking. I have enough "stuff" to feed 500. All we need are a few tables.

Let's have it at Whoooooosh's house. It'll only take a couple of months to drain the moat, disarm the Claymores, de-fang the wolves, steralize the hostesses, cap the lazers, cleanse the air, shoot the neighbors and otherwise tidy up the place for company. The perfect venue.

Just kiddin', Whoooosh. You're one of my favorite people here, for sure.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 06:52 PM
Yayy! More Baja Parties

The good vibes will chase out the bad history (well, at least I am hoping).

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Pops
Nomad

Mood: Therianthropic

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
The good vibes will chase out the bad history (well, at least I am hoping).

Bad history ???

What am I missing ??:?:

If you make something idiot proof, someone will always make a better idiot.
Pops
Nomad

Mood: Therianthropic

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you Udo...

Perhaps a Baja-isk fiesta here sometime? I have the Baja-theme movies and a keg of Tecate in the kegerator to share!

What happened to DK's post ??? :?:

If you make something idiot proof, someone will always make a better idiot.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Let's have it at Whoooooosh's house. It'll only take a couple of months to drain the moat, disarm the Claymores, de-fang the wolves, steralize the hostesses, cap the lazers, cleanse the air, shoot the neighbors and otherwise tidy up the place for company. The perfect venue.

Just kiddin', Whoooosh. You're one of my favorite people here, for sure.

No offense taken of course. My falcons always need fresh road-kill to feast on Senor Sinned. It does have a tinge of truth though- all the neighbors laughed and thought a prison was going in when my house was being built. They think I'm a genius now though.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pops
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you Udo...

What happened to DK's post ??? :?:

Mike, nothing's missing that I posted in this thread (that I can see)???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 12:19 AM

To digress to answer CaptMike’s question [page 2 of this topic]. Scotch whisky! A subject close to my heart. Yet I’m definitely no connoisseur… not of any spirits. [e.g. At my last blind tequila tasting, at the Pyramid Resort, I enthusiastically voted for the cheapest Tequila!]

But in the early 1980s I took part in a charity event in Scotland which involved stopping at most of the distilleries, collecting bottles of their best to auction and raffle to raise money for disadvantaged kids. Invariably, we did the tour and sampled the products.

All those malts tasted great to me… but I recall especially liking Glenmorangie. Might have been because I bought a bottle to take to my dear old Highland dad, and shared it with him while I spent many happy and fascinating hours recording his experiences in WW2. We drank it with just a little water. The association and circumstance probably counted as much as the quality of the whisky.

Likewise, when I was walking around the coast of Baja and found a bottle of Japanese whisky on Malarrimo Beach, it warmed me by many a campfire, and not surprisingly, no malt whisky ever tasted better.

And when I was on Guardian Angel Island and a minikeg of Heineken was dropped to me by parachute, it seemed the best beer in the world. Even warm Milwaukee’s Worst would have been very welcome in the circumstances. Guess I’m easy.

But without a doubt the Baja beer and wines on Saturday were perfect for washing down all that truly delicious seafood, wonderful cheeses, etc. And my fondest memory – After finishing a plate of that yummy “farmed” tuna, I was looking for a place to put plate in trash when someone breezed by, took the plate and placed a margarita in my hand. Baja was doing itself proud!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 03:31 AM

As I recall, it was fairly unanimous that the "cheap" tequila was best at the Book Sighing/Tequila tasting Pyrimid party. But my memory is a little foggy on that one.
Man, I wish I was there with you guys!
Any photos?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 05:52 AM

thx Graham!
i'll get some and try it. the Glen morangie that is.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
As I recall, it was fairly unanimous that the "cheap" tequila was best at the Book Sighing/Tequila tasting Pyrimid party.

EL CHARRO My favorite cheap tequila.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.