Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Pacific Side Sea Kayaking
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 06:11 PM

Even gasoline could be hard to find--remember there's no stores between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro, and El Rosario is a long walk from the beach! San Quintin and Bahia Tortuga would be better bets unless you can find some in the fish camps...(bring something to barter with perhaps). And you can always find a little wood for a fire.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper
Hola, In 1985 a 31 year old woman and a 60 year old man did a trip simular to what you want to do...They did a shakedown trip from Washington to San Diego...Then continued not only to Cabo but all the way up the gulf side ending in Yuma AZ. In 1986 she wrote a book describing the trip, a good read and it may be helpful for planning your adventure:

Keep it Moving, Baja by canoe
by Valerie Fons

published by The Mountaineers
306 2nd. Avenue West, Seattle,Washington 98119

Even though the title says "Baja by Canoe" they traveled by sea kayaks...Good luck and have a wonderful trip...

[Edited on 5-27-2009 by bajagrouper]

That's a great adventure! I used to have the book, lent it to my old girlfriend, never got it back....oy.....I think though that they did the trip in 1983 because I remember them trying to land in Central Baja but were unable to because the El Nino surf that year was HUGE.
amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Hi Jerry and welcome to Nomadlandia! We have a good pal who kayaked here to Bahia Asuncion from Rosarito and had a fantastic time. I lent him our kayak sail and he used it alot and he highly recommended one for anyone kayaking down the west coast. He also paddled alot at night when the wind and waves were at a minimum and the paddling was awesome under the stars. He put in at fish camps and had great experiences with them...they fed him, gave him water etc. and good advice...he spoke elementary spanish.

What is most important is time...time to kill when the weather is bad...too windy or time to stay and enjoy your host village. If you do this and want some contact names along the way...we have lots of relatives and amigos in various camps along this coast so email me for that. Make sure you take a radio for emergencies...stop in and see us for a meal and shower!

What a wonderful woman , Shari I really love you and john . hope to see you guys soon.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 06:32 PM

Amir...the feeling is mutual amigo! We look forward to your return visit...we are still showing people the picture of you with that enormous yellowtail!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 06:51 PM

A Coleman duel fuel stove is a good choice. Very durable. ++C++
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 08:37 PM

'YAK,
It's abvious that you are an adventurer and in solid physical condition. I like Fishbuck's/Shari's idea of setting up relay stations for support, safety, cold cervezas, other.

Please accept one of my guest bedrooms as a stopover here on Punta Banda. I also have the right vehicle and racks to help you haul in/out.

I'm a novice kayaker, but, am thrilled with yakking. Picked up my fleet of 3 this September and will likely end up with a 4th. Might even provide kayak tours in exchange for Pacificos/Vinotinto for visiting nomads here.

Holler as your plan moves forward.

[Edited on 10-21-2009 by bajadock]

seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

'YAK,
It's abvious that you are an adventurer and in solid physical condition. I like Fishbuck's/Shari's idea of setting up relay stations for support, safety, cold cervezas, other.

Please accept one of my guest bedrooms as a stopover here on Punta Banda. I also have the right vehicle and racks to help you haul in/out.

I'm a novice kayaker, but, am thrilled with yakking. Picked up my fleet of 3 this September and will likely end up with a 4th. Might even provide kayak tours in exchange for Pacificos/Vinotinto for visiting nomads here.

Holler as your plan moves forward.

[Edited on 10-21-2009 by bajadock]

Muchas Gracias :spingrin:

I look forward to meeting you.

Jerry
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 06:53 AM

you KNOW you have a warm dry bunk and some Burro tacos when you arrive on our friendly shores too! In rosalillita ask for Martin Arce, Nelo Arce or Chulo and tell em your an amigo of Juan Arce in Asuncion...you'll get the royal treatment.
If it were me, I'd go stoveless...there is lots of little bits of wood for making cooking fires...you'll get good at it. We rarely even bring a grill as we just make one out of old lobster trap bits. You will find several fish camps and will be taken in and fed in all of them as you will be respected for your modus operandi...learn to eat raw fish, roe, shellfish, urchins etc. This will be an adventure you will never forget!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2009 at 01:55 AM

When it comes to eating I usually fair pretty well. I'm hoping the sea life is good, It's my plan for the majority of my protein intake. Anything I should know about shell fish, and urchins?

Past trips have made me feel like technology is doing all the work, this time out I plan on going native.:biggrin:
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2009 at 01:14 PM

Just get a small backpacker stove and take 2-3 canisters - very reliable, a necessity, and will serve you well. If you take a larger stove and then have to find gas for it, will take up space and you may not be able to use it if you run out of fuel. For fish, make charcoal with small sticks and wrap in aluminum foil to cook. Heavy duty aluminum foil is also very handy - can be used as lids for cooking pots to reduce weight, can be re-used, folded flat. Use water bladders instead of gallon containers since they will conform to available space. Use filtered sea water to cook pasta and rice in. Conserve fuel by boiling pasta and then letting it sit in the boiled water to finish cooking. Use a wind screen to keep any wind off your stove and wasting fuel. Only heat beverage water to the temp you want, instead of boiling and then letting it cool off. Plan meals so that most of them are created with just boiled water: oatmeal, pasta, stove top stuffing, dried soup, couscous, etc.
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2009 at 01:29 PM

Also in the food dept. If you can afford to buy some freeze dried fruit and freeze dried dinners they pack well and if you land some place very exausted and spent from a hard day of paddeling, and you have a stove,you can have a decent meal without turning into a scavanger. Also cooking in extreemly windy conditions hunkered into some sand dunes or the likes, trying to escape the wind, a stove comes in very handy. Good luck ++C++
TheColoradoDude
Nomad

Mood: Paz, Amor, y Tacos de Pescado

[*] posted on 10-22-2009 at 01:57 PM

Will you be trolling some rapalas behind your kayak? To me that would be a sure way to catch dinner. Sashimi good!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2009 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seayak
Still planning this trip...

New question...

What type of fuels are available that are with in walking distance of the beach? I'm working out which stove I'm taking with me and how much fuel I can expect to carry if I can't resupply.
On most remote Baja beaches there is ample driftwood for fires making it easier to stretch your fuel.
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2009 at 10:11 PM

I'm figuring on six week window for the trip. However, I don't plan on bringing that much fuel, I was planing on using any natural resources that I could. The stove that I plan on using is an Esbit folding stove. Tiny German folding stove that burns hexamine tablets, I can fit about 21 fuel cubes into the 32 oz cup that I boil with. As for the food that I pack, 80% is dehydrated and requires hot water to rehydrate. The rest of my food I can eat without heating. As for fishing, thought I might troll.

What should I use for lures?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2009 at 09:17 AM

I have an Esbit - the fuel tabs don't get as hot as propane mix fuel, and if there's a bit of a breeze, takes away some heat as well. If you run out of tabs then you have nothing. If 80% of your food is dyhydrated, doesn't that make the stove and its capability of boiling water efficiently an absolute necessity? 21 fuel cubes means 21 meals out of the possible 80 meals (2 hot meals or beverages per day x 42 days) you'll want. That's a lot of scavanging for drift wood in the wind waiting for coals and your water to boil. Don't compromise on this.
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2009 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
I have an Esbit - the fuel tabs don't get as hot as propane mix fuel, and if there's a bit of a breeze, takes away some heat as well. If you run out of tabs then you have nothing. If 80% of your food is dyhydrated, doesn't that make the stove and its capability of boiling water efficiently an absolute necessity? 21 fuel cubes means 21 meals out of the possible 80 meals (2 hot meals or beverages per day x 42 days) you'll want. That's a lot of scavanging for drift wood in the wind waiting for coals and your water to boil. Don't compromise on this.

So far with the esbit set up, with out my wind screen I can boil 2 cups of water in just about 5 minutes. The cubes are said to burn for about 13 minutes, although I've averaged all my burn trial times and came out with an average of 10 minutes. Although the tablets don't have the BTU's of propane, or other liquid fuels they are by far the lightest and most compact fuel that I have used. Not to also mention there easier to budget, ie; one tablet/one boil, vs.mass of fuel/average boil time.
As for the amount of fuel I'll take, not sure yet. I have a six week window and 2 weeks of that is fluff to cover weather, fatigue, lay overs, and the unknown.
Not that it matters, but any idea how long it takes to boil 2 cups of water at sea level with your esbit?;)
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2009 at 02:08 PM

This is comparison of my MSR XKG-EX stove, 775ml pot, 2 fuel cells, and rebuild kit (cigar tube), next to my esbit stove, and cup.

seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2009 at 02:10 PM

top view of cup with stove inside and 18 fuel tablets.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2009 at 02:29 PM

Get a small backpacker's grill for cooking. The fish will taste a lot better when barbqued over a fire. That dehydrated stuff gets old real fast. It really doesn't take very long to set up some rocks and start a fire. Fires are fun. The whole process of searching, eating, sitting around with the coffee, stoking it now and again, writing a journal entry. Given a choice of doing all that in a tent or outside - the choice is obvious.

Last year I spent about 4 weeks eating backpacker's food and after about 2 weeks I couldn't stand the sight of one of those packages. You start skipping meals just to avoid them. But bbq'ed salmon .... no problem.

P.S. Oatmeal breakfast is simple and seemed to give us the most energy.

[Edited on 10-23-2009 by Skipjack Joe]
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2009 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Get a small backpacker's grill for cooking. The fish will taste a lot better when barbqued over a fire. That dehydrated stuff gets old real fast. It really doesn't take very long to set up some rocks and start a fire. Fires are fun. The whole process of searching, eating, sitting around with the coffee, stoking it now and again, writing a journal entry. Given a choice of doing all that in a tent or outside - the choice is obvious.

Last year I spent about 4 weeks eating backpacker's food and after about 2 weeks I couldn't stand the sight of one of those packages. You start skipping meals just to avoid them. But bbq'ed salmon .... no problem.

P.S. Oatmeal breakfast is simple and seemed to give us the most energy.

[Edited on 10-23-2009 by Skipjack Joe]

I'm not keen on the back packer food either, it does however remind me of food. I've been experimenting a little with the idea of small grill or possibly just foil. What would you pack for seasoning fish?
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.