BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Asuncion needs a firetruck!
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 06:45 AM

Hey, Frank, what's with the "August 30, 2013?"

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 10:25 AM

thank you all for your responses. This group is very dedicated group(not a bunch of drunks as inferred) The fisheries officer, Juan, Juan Luna and his brothers who are good mechanics and other upstanding citizens. Drunks dont like to get up in the middle of the night to assist in search and rescue nor go to meetings or training sessions for no pay.
These guys would learn quickly...and are very happy with the quick response you have offered. We are investigating the sister city suggestion...hey OB would be cool!
Shirts have been donated and will be printed up asap...gracias and a list of needs is being formulated.
Remember...it may be you they are pulling out of an arroyo next when you are sitting on top of your toyota roof in the middle of a raging river.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 01:02 PM

i didn't mean to imply the guy with the truck would be drunk.

the day my toyota gets stuck, anywhere, i'm hanging up my maps.

good luck with all of it. it is nice to see you planning for the worst BEFORE bad stuff happens.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 10:37 PM

Shari, I know we have donated tons of equipment to towns in Baja in years past but I seem to recall hearing a while back that when trying to take equipment down the last time they were stopped at the border and were required to pay duty on the equipment so no one is willing to bring stuff down anymore. Can't say that I blame them. I wouldn't want to have to pay duty or insurance for a fire engine.

In Memory of E-57
desert_hiker

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 10:50 PM

Shari,

My thought as an ex-engineer is why bother with the expense of a truck? Would a few heavy duty flat-bed trailers with poly tanks mounted on top do the job? Ascunsion is fairly flat and high density--the distance is not that far to tow.

A lot of people have trucks already--and the distance is fairly short so I imagine that a 500-gallon tank (about 4,000lbs plus say 2000 lbs for the trailer) or a 1000-gallon tank (about 8,000lbs plus say 2,000lbs for the trailer) can then be mounted on a flat-bed trailer and towed to the location if needed.

As for waterpumps, check with Northern Tools. They sell high pressure engine-driven pumps. These can be mounted on the same or different trailers. Best of all, this should reduce the maintenance burden.

My concern is if you get a 1960's era truck and it breaks down or parts of the pumping system break down, where would you find the parts to fix it?

Best wishes.

Joe.

[Edited on 5-29-2009 by desert_hiker]
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 06:30 AM

Shari,

A truck will definitely be an asset to the community, but the key is to prevent fires from happening in the first place. One thing you can do immediately is to start a campaign to teach fire safety. How do most of your fires start and how can that be avoided? Is it due to propane leaks, shoddy electrical, storing gasoline, kids playing with matches, candles? You'd be amazed at how much you can prevent in the first place. You just need to get enough people involved to make it work or no one will listen to you.

Also be careful about what you eventually buy. A piece of junk that breaks down while guys are fighting fire can cause greater injury and loss of life than doing nothing.

edit spelling

[Edited on 5-29-2009 by BigWooo]

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 06:45 AM

All very good points indeed which I will bring up to the group. Fires are usually human carelessness with candles, cigarettes and sometimes shoddy electrical too and that aint gonna change with education unfortunately.
I imagine the key to helping put out a fire is speed in responding so whatever they use will have to be ready to go at a moments notice. Perhaps the big tank on a truck bed would work with one of the engine driven pumps and some good hoses etc. But we are talking big bucks (for them) to get all of the above. Lots of fund raising and with things as they are here nobody can afford to donate when they cant afford to eat. Lobster season was poor, the coop hasnt paid the workers for a couple months...things are more expensive...the locals cant make ends meet...but that wont stop me from trying!!!
thanks again for all your suggestions...this is really giving the guys a boost.

BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
All very good points indeed which I will bring up to the group. Fires are usually human carelessness with candles, cigarettes and sometimes shoddy electrical too and that aint gonna change with education unfortunately.

I've got to disagree on that one. Even with the cultural differences I think you can educate people not to set candles on combustible surfaces, or next to drapes that will blow with the wind into the flame, or why stereo cable is not good to use to power your TV and stereo, or why garden hoses don't make good propane lines. Most people don't think about the consequences of their actions. Some can't afford to make the changes, but those that can might.

fishsticker
Junior Nomad

Mood: Margarita Time

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 07:11 AM

San Bernadino was just given a new firetruck 2 days ago bt the San Manuel Native American tribe. Maybe they will donate the one the new one is replacing.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 07:42 AM

Shari,

A lot of great ideas have been posted here already on your need for a fire engine. For your town, I think a water truck or water tender would be best for your needs. In my opinion, a fire engine generally carries a lot of equipment that you guys would never need - for instance, they are designed to carry 1200 feet of hose or more for hose lays, etc. You would not need this much hose since you do not have hydrants. Also, old fire engines are a P.I.T.A.!!! (maintenance wise)
I would think that you guys would only need something that could pump two handlines at the most. For this, the water truck with an independent water pump as previously mentioned from Northern tools would do the trick. You could put a gated wye off of the pump so that you could have 2 lines and control them easily. You need something that carries a large amount of water with a reliable pump. The water truck could also possibly be used for other needs in your community.
We have donated equipment (fire engines, ambulances, etc.) to our sister city and the process can be a real nightmare. Equipment that is donated disappears along the way to it's destination and many hassles are encountered along the way.....

Here is one example of a pump:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/produc...
Not necessarily this exact pump, but you get the idea!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 07:58 AM

OK...so education is important...people here wont go to meetings, unless there is some sort of giveaway prize...but maybe a flyer would work...or maybe at a coop general meeting where you have a captive audience...a short presentation could be given on fire safety.
Fund raising for a water tank, pump, fuel etc. is in order too.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
OK...so education is important...people here wont go to meetings, unless there is some sort of giveaway prize...but maybe a flyer would work...or maybe at a coop general meeting where you have a captive audience...a short presentation could be given on fire safety.
Fund raising for a water tank, pump, fuel etc. is in order too.

How about educating the kids at school?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 08:13 AM

How about home/business inspections by the Bomberos to educate home and business owners....this would also get the Bomberos out into the community for more visibility

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 09:48 AM

Shari,
The firetruck that I wrote you about that I saw in La Paz years ago certainly wasn't "brand new" but at he same time it wasn't from the 1960's. I'll forward any information that I get from Chief Callahan as soon as I receive it. I'll also see what I can find out about opening an account on the Sister Cities web site. Buena Suerte, Paul and Shelley

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 10:01 AM

The director of the Proteccion civil group's brother is a great mechanic and could maintain a decent vehicle like they do with the ambulance they got donated.....it would be cool to have a sister city for a variety of projects.

Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 10:11 AM

Many great expert and experienced comments here. One thing I have not read, is water capacity of a water truck. I drove a 2,000 gallon air force surplus water truck with a gasoline powered pump on the National Grasslands Lab one summer. (lots of fun when the water gets to sloshing and double clutched for every gear change). Is a 2,000 gallon capacity reasonable for fighting a small wooden house fire? I suppose bigger has a greater margin of safety, but what is a reasonable lower limit?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 10:27 AM

I think it would be easier to obtain a 2000gal water truck (Tender in fire speak) with a couple of pumps and some hand lines. just paint it red or yellow and stick some lights and a siren on it......with some simple plumbing mods could add sprinklers or nozzles for brush work........you could also rent it out for water work around town and make some extra $$$

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 10:47 AM

this is a great idea...I received a possible donation of some 1" and 1 1/2" hoses, nozzles and some gear. Problem is it is in Portola CA. Anybody coming down who might pick it up...even if someone could get it to a pals place in Sacramento or San Diego that would be fine....we're cookin now nomads...got a shirt donation and printing in the works too....who's got the lights and siren??

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 10:56 AM

If you can get it to Reno I might be able to get it to San Diego if you have a contact there

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 07:39 AM

You need to remember that not all pumps are created equal. For a "surround and drown" tactic (Which is probably your best tactic given the lack of SCBA's, protective equipment and proper training) a 2000 gal water tender would probably best meet your needs. If you can confine the fire to the house of origin you will have done well. If the wind is blowing, confining your fire to the zip code of origin may be the best you can hope for.

With that said nearly all commercial water trucks come with a pump. Unfortunately these are typically high volume/low pressure pumps that are driven by a PTO off the transmission. They are effective for watering roads for dust abatement but not for developing effective hose streams. To develop effective hose streams you need to add a pressure pump (ideally a fire rated pump). Look for one that is rated at around 200 gpm at at least 150 psi. There are many self contained units available on the market, especially look at the used equipment market. Older units are readily available powered by an air-cooled VW engine which most mechanics in Mexico are pure geniuses with.

[Edited on 5-30-2009 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.