BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Asuncion needs a firetruck!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 09:50 AM

No matter what we find the biggest issue will probably be getting it across the border. I'm guessing that if I were to come up with a used brush type fire truck (small, 1ton) it would be next to impossible to import it. I've heard lots of horror stories of a good deed gone wrong at the border.

Anybody have any insight or suggestions?.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 09:36 AM

Plenty of insight, plenty of suggestions......u2u me

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I think it would be easier to obtain a 2000gal water truck (Tender in fire speak) with a couple of pumps and some hand lines. just paint it red or yellow and stick some lights and a siren on it......with some simple plumbing mods could add sprinklers or nozzles for brush work........you could also rent it out for water work around town and make some extra $$$

This is a great idea. A water truck can be purchased more easily in Tijuana, Ensenada, or Mexicali than importing. Renting it out for income is a good idea as long as there is a driver along with it so it is not abused...

Perhaps some water tanks with pumps mounted on pickup bed trailers, has to be a few junk trucks around that could be converted to trailers...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 5-31-2009 at 10:10 PM

What kind of fires are you fighting?

Are they widfire/brushfires? Or are they domestic house fires?

My impression of construction in Baja is that a lot of concrete is used, and that's not flammable.

Depending on the causes of the fires, that should dictate your "attack" strategy. If it's domestic and the likely culprit is faulty wiring, then that's where you need to educate people. If it's natural, and the culprit is excess garbage in vacant areas, then maybe that's the area that needs the education focus.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 08:32 AM

There are many many wood houses here and most fires are due to human error...cigarettes left burning while passed out! candles, bad wiring is rampant...shorts in a system because of the salt air.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 06:59 PM

Bajaguy, Terry, has the right idea...I have been to asuncion and I am a firefighter (ret.) Most "firefighting" there will be exposure protection, mop up and brush or dump type fires...No one there is qualified to do entry,earch type stuff...and most likely won't in the near future.. a water tender with either a pto type pump or a portable would work best...one inch lines are useless for structure fires except for mop up...no entering buildings...not equiped or trained...we are talking structure protection here.
They need 1 1/12 inch lines, combo nozzels and used turnouts or just nomes pants and shirts, and gloves...and practice.....but that's just my opinion.......

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 07:04 PM

Your opinion is well received, sir!!!!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 07:53 PM

until this gets sorted out, have every member of the community install a fire alarm in their casitas. it's a small price to pay....

here is an example of a cheap fire alarm:
:biggrin::wow::light:

image0011.jpg - 25kB

oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 09:57 AM

Woody.....

thanks for that "smoke/fire alarm" that made me laugh enough to bring tears to my eyes.... I guess I just needed to laugh today... if that alarm would work I could be talked into donating to a fund to supply them to the residents....
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 08:06 PM

woodman....definately wins the Laugh of the Week prize...thanks I needed that after a hot stuffy day in Sta.Rosalia dealing with incompetent officials!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 08:07 PM

incompetent officials...............

Shari....quit repeating yourself

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.