BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Asuncion needs a firetruck!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 08:50 AM
Asuncion needs a firetruck!

Last night we had a meeting of the Protecion Civil which is like a volunteer emergency response team that leaps ito action for hurricaines, flooding, earthquakes, accidents, disasters etc. It is a small group of dedicated people in our village who could really use some assistance.

Last year, a woman donated an ambulance which has been well used but it needs new shocks and oxygen tanks. There is little funding for the group particularly now during the economic crisis here. They dont even have money to put deisel in the gas tank....so if you need to go to the hospital, the patient has to pay for the fuel.

The director asked me to post here to see if anyone had any connections to get a retired fire truck somehow. We have no firetruck at the moment and with the community growing it is an important thing to have. No problem if it has USA plates.

The other thing they need are new T-shirts....the ones they have are several years old and have holes etc. I'm gonna do a funds drive here for them to raise some seed money to have for emergencies...mainly for fuel for the ambulance and trucks used to respond to accidents and pull people out of arroyos in hurricaine flooding.

Any assistance or ideas would be appreciated..gracias amigos

[Edited on 5-28-2009 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 09:10 AM

Why not get some prizes donated and have a raffle at the festival? You could include fishing trips, lodging, tours, etc. Sell tickets to Nomads as well as to locals and visitors. I'm sure you could easily raise a significant amount of money as well as generating more tourists/visitors.

Just a thought.

zac

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 09:11 AM

Hola Shari, check your U2U. Paul

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 09:12 AM

Here's what we did in Punta Banda. I sent letters to several municipalities within 50 miles of the border as well as larger cities like LA. Bajaguy set up the LA connection and is "working" the north for us, mostly in Nevada. Bajaguy also distributed a PowerPoint presentation I'd done to plead our case to a few fire departments..

As part of this process, we stumbled across two excellent vehicles that were headed for the auction block. A PB neighbor who lived in that district persuaded the fire board to sell us the trucks at fire sale prices. Both are now on their way to PB. So luck is part of the equation.

We have also received an abundance of fire hoses, nozzles, turnouts, helmets, boots, lightbars, etc., from LA and Point Loma (the contact there is a long-standing member of this board, but I'll leave it up to him to weigh in if he'd like).

I learned that California towns can't give you the stuff because of liability issues, but you can pay a nominal price, like $1, and buy whatever if they're willing or compelled to sell.

When our new trucks arrive (a 1975 International and a 1999 Tahoe first response vehicle, both fully equipped), we MAY have a 1957 Seagrave pumper available, but I don't think it could make it to Asuncion.

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying, "just ask." You may get lucky.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 09:14 AM

The town council may want to consider an annual "assessment" of 100/200 pesos for each parcel that contains a structure.

In lieu of the 100/200 peso "assessment", parcel owners could donate in-kind services to the Fire Dept/community.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 09:32 AM

thanks for the ideas....hey a 1957 Seagrave sounds real funky...the coop could bring it down in their semi! keep the ideas comin!

mexipep
Banned

Mood: curious as a cat

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 10:09 AM
Is it just me but

do most here agree that maybe the Mexican government should pay for their own fire fighting equipment. I am please as punch that you seem compelled to help but everytime you do this the authorities are left off the hook and see no need to help the people they represent.
Give a man a fish or teach him to fish,its your choice but you are not helping these people.

Ban all fishing to non Mexicans.
Conservation has to start somewhere.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 10:13 AM

peppy, what happened to that 'land of single malt' accent you so deftly add to the first few words of your other posts? :?:

mexipep
Banned

Mood: curious as a cat

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 10:18 AM
Ah me stalker

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
peppy, what happened to that 'land of single malt' accent you so deftly add to the first few words of your other posts? :?:

That was for you Pammy, me girl. You see, accents are hard to pick up in singing and through a keyboard in case you did not know. If you plan on stalking me, please send me a picture of yourself and since you have a charter company there,perhaps a picture of your best boat and I will let you know if you are suitable.

Ban all fishing to non Mexicans.
Conservation has to start somewhere.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 12:00 PM

Shari, there are ways to do this more efectively and that would be thru the state or city government of Mulege wich is the municipality Bahia Asuncion belongs to.
First of all the people have to organize and form an association (Un patronato pro-...), then contact Mr. Marco Ehrenberg Stiles at the state governmet, he is the director of international relations for Baja California Sur and you could persue the International Sister Cities program, Manhattan Beach CA is sister city with Mulege based in Santa Rosalia BCS.
These sister cities programs are great. Do it!

http://www.icfdn.org/publications/na2006/003_eme.htm

http://www.bcs.gob.mx/index.php?option=com_content&task=...

[Edited on 5-27-2009 by fdt]

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 03:14 PM

The group Protecion Civil has been trying to go through "proper" government channels and nothing ever happens. they are told there is no money available. I understand the sister city method has worked for other areas so we will follow up on that lead...but ya know, it never hurts to ask. And as this thread proved...it pays to post to get some ideas on where to start.

Like the ambulance...it's a real good thing to have around when ya need one. the thought that someone's house could be saved if there was a firetruck in town is inspiring.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 04:38 PM

Marco Ehrenberg?? Wow. Ferna, you have just tweaked a long forgotten memory. I guess that just like in the US, once you are in a certain class, your future is assured.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
You could save a typical small house in most villages with a flatbed truck with a 2500 liter tinaco on it and a typical gas powered pump.
It does not take much water to put out what appears to be a large fire. It's more about knowledge of fire behavior.
Besides, you have to figure in the response time. It takes about 5, 10 minutes at the most once a fire is past it's incipient stage to fully involve a room and subsequently the structure depending on fuel load and ventilation.
You might be better off asking for hoses and nozzles to equip somebody's water truck and compensating that person for his/her availability.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
The group Protecion Civil has been trying to go through "proper" government channels and nothing ever happens. they are told there is no money available. I understand the sister city method has worked for other areas so we will follow up on that lead...but ya know, it never hurts to ask. And as this thread proved...it pays to post to get some ideas on where to start.

Like the ambulance...it's a real good thing to have around when ya need one. the thought that someone's house could be saved if there was a firetruck in town is inspiring.

what he said....

much easier to arrange, not to mention the training/maintenance are minimal for all involved.

1st lesson = surround and drown!!!!!!

with time interior searches, along with techniques for securing utilities and fire suppression will become second nature.

[Edited on 5-28-2009 by woody in ob]

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 06:54 PM

hmm...interesting idea about just getting some hoses hooked up to someones truck...problem is who's truck and will the guy be willing to take on the challenge...and be available at a moments notice in an emergency. We KNOW the protecion civil volunteers would but nobody has a truck like that but maybe some fund raising could get a big water tank and some hoses....wouldnt ya need some kind of pressure pump? I'm all for learning about fire prevention..what the heck is a time interior search and how do you secure a utility??
Maybe one of those hunky guys from the firemans calendar could come and do a workshop here!!!! I'm likin THAT idea

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
thanks for the ideas....hey a 1957 Seagrave sounds real funky...the coop could bring it down in their semi! keep the ideas comin!

This is actually part of the problem Shari.

How long do you think the fine volunteer folks in Asuncion could keep a truck like that maintained to a "ready at a moments notice" level? There have been many well intentioned fire departments who have cleaned up a truck that was otherwise headed for the bone yard (where it probably belonged) and donated it to some unfortunate "sister city" in Mexico. Lots of photo-op and good feelings but the reality is that they are just passing their junk on to someone else that will be depending on it while their house burns down because the truck won't start.

I know that you feel that anything is better than nothing and in some ways you're right. I wish that the well meaning fire departments that want to help their less fortunate bretheren would roll out one of the trucks that they depend on to do their job today and ship it South. They wouldn't use outdated equipment that they wouldn't bet their life on, why should the fine folks in Asuncion be expected to?

I don't have the answer, only fuel for the fire......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:

This is actually part of the problem Shari.

How long do you think the fine volunteer folks in Asuncion could keep a truck like that maintained to a "ready at a moments notice" level? There have been many well intentioned fire departments who have cleaned up a truck that was otherwise headed for the bone yard (where it probably belonged) and donated it to some unfortunate "sister city" in Mexico. Lots of photo-op and good feelings but the reality is that they are just passing their junk on to someone else that will be depending on it while their house burns down because the truck won't start.

I know that you feel that anything is better than nothing and in some ways you're right. I wish that the well meaning fire departments that want to help their less fortunate bretheren would roll out one of the trucks that they depend on to do their job today and ship it South. They wouldn't use outdated equipment that they wouldn't bet their life on, why should the fine folks in Asuncion be expected to?

I don't have the answer, only fuel for the fire......dt

I would like to add here that the truck is of little use unless the firemem can be trained in how to fight a fire. Otherwise not really effective .... Good Luck

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
what the heck is a time interior search and how do you secure a utility??

Maybe one of those hunky guys from the firemans calendar could come and do a workshop here!!!! I'm likin THAT idea

part 1: interior search = some SMART volunteer, not drunk person goes inside to make sure everyone has exited the structure and is accounted for, usually with a nozzle set to a semi-fog pattern leading the way.

part 2: utilities = making sure you aren't putting water on a fire that is involving your electrical system. you also might wanna turn off the gas supply at some time during the marshmellow roast, you know, to prevent ka-boom.

the hunky stuff is best left for the imagination....... whilst Juan is fishing:wow:

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 08:27 PM

Shari I'm sure a lot of us nomad firefighters would be happy to provide training but as for myself I'm sorry to tell you it has been far too many years since I have graced a calendar

In Memory of E-57
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 08:39 PM

hey woodman...thanks for that....uh huh....all makes good sense indeed. A workshop would really be great to train the volunteers.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2009 at 08:59 PM

all good stuff Frank, but a smooth bore? that'll blow the fire right ACROSS the road into the next house. maybe with a certain amount of gloved finger pressure i guess it'll do.....

it's been a while, whaddo i know???

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.