BajaNomad Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Asuncion needs a firetruck!
bajaguy
Select Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

posted on 5-29-2009 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote

I think it would be easier to obtain a 2000gal water truck (Tender in fire speak) with a couple of pumps and some hand lines. just paint it red or yellow and stick some lights and a siren on it......with some simple plumbing mods could add sprinklers or nozzles for brush work........you could also rent it out for water work around town and make some extra $$$

We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm........George Orwell

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it

I support GOD, Israel, those serving in the United States military, the Boy Scouts of America, Chic-fil-A and the Second Amendment
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: feliz de la vida

posted on 5-29-2009 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote

this is a great idea...I received a possible donation of some 1" and 1 1/2" hoses, nozzles and some gear. Problem is it is in Portola CA. Anybody coming down who might pick it up...even if someone could get it to a pals place in Sacramento or San Diego that would be fine....we're cookin now nomads...got a shirt donation and printing in the works too....who's got the lights and siren??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bajaguy
Select Nomad

posted on 5-29-2009 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote

If you can get it to Reno I might be able to get it to San Diego if you have a contact there

We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm........George Orwell

I support GOD, Israel, those serving in the United States military, the Boy Scouts of America, Chic-fil-A and the Second Amendment
Alan
Super Nomad

posted on 5-30-2009 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote

You need to remember that not all pumps are created equal. For a "surround and drown" tactic (Which is probably your best tactic given the lack of SCBA's, protective equipment and proper training) a 2000 gal water tender would probably best meet your needs. If you can confine the fire to the house of origin you will have done well. If the wind is blowing, confining your fire to the zip code of origin may be the best you can hope for.

With that said nearly all commercial water trucks come with a pump. Unfortunately these are typically high volume/low pressure pumps that are driven by a PTO off the transmission. They are effective for watering roads for dust abatement but not for developing effective hose streams. To develop effective hose streams you need to add a pressure pump (ideally a fire rated pump). Look for one that is rated at around 200 gpm at at least 150 psi. There are many self contained units available on the market, especially look at the used equipment market. Older units are readily available powered by an air-cooled VW engine which most mechanics in Mexico are pure geniuses with.

[Edited on 5-30-2009 by Alan]

In Memory of E-57
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

posted on 5-30-2009 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote

No matter what we find the biggest issue will probably be getting it across the border. I'm guessing that if I were to come up with a used brush type fire truck (small, 1ton) it would be next to impossible to import it. I've heard lots of horror stories of a good deed gone wrong at the border.

Anybody have any insight or suggestions?.....dt

"Life is tough".....life is tougher if you're stupid.....
bajaguy
Select Nomad

posted on 5-31-2009 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote

Plenty of insight, plenty of suggestions......u2u me

BajaWarrior
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Anxious to get south

posted on 5-31-2009 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I think it would be easier to obtain a 2000gal water truck (Tender in fire speak) with a couple of pumps and some hand lines. just paint it red or yellow and stick some lights and a siren on it......with some simple plumbing mods could add sprinklers or nozzles for brush work........you could also rent it out for water work around town and make some extra $$$

This is a great idea. A water truck can be purchased more easily in Tijuana, Ensenada, or Mexicali than importing. Renting it out for income is a good idea as long as there is a driver along with it so it is not abused...

Perhaps some water tanks with pumps mounted on pickup bed trailers, has to be a few junk trucks around that could be converted to trailers...

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

posted on 6-1-2009 at 05:10 AM Reply With Quote

What kind of fires are you fighting?

Are they widfire/brushfires? Or are they domestic house fires?

My impression of construction in Baja is that a lot of concrete is used, and that's not flammable.

Depending on the causes of the fires, that should dictate your "attack" strategy. If it's domestic and the likely culprit is faulty wiring, then that's where you need to educate people. If it's natural, and the culprit is excess garbage in vacant areas, then maybe that's the area that needs the education focus.
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member BajaNuts's Aim
shari
Select Nomad

posted on 6-1-2009 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote

There are many many wood houses here and most fires are due to human error...cigarettes left burning while passed out! candles, bad wiring is rampant...shorts in a system because of the salt air.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

posted on 6-2-2009 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote

Bajaguy, Terry, has the right idea...I have been to asuncion and I am a firefighter (ret.) Most "firefighting" there will be exposure protection, mop up and brush or dump type fires...No one there is qualified to do entry,earch type stuff...and most likely won't in the near future.. a water tender with either a pto type pump or a portable would work best...one inch lines are useless for structure fires except for mop up...no entering buildings...not equiped or trained...we are talking structure protection here.
They need 1 1/12 inch lines, combo nozzels and used turnouts or just nomes pants and shirts, and gloves...and practice.....but that's just my opinion.......

Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill on the same night!!
Krishnamurphy...2014
bajaguy
Select Nomad

posted on 6-2-2009 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote

Your opinion is well received, sir!!!!

woody with a view
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: everchangin'

posted on 6-2-2009 at 02:53 AM Reply With Quote

until this gets sorted out, have every member of the community install a fire alarm in their casitas. it's a small price to pay....

here is an example of a cheap fire alarm:
:biggrin::wow::light:

woody with a view has attached this image:
image0011.jpg - 24.66kb

oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

posted on 6-2-2009 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote

Woody.....

thanks for that "smoke/fire alarm" that made me laugh enough to bring tears to my eyes.... I guess I just needed to laugh today... if that alarm would work I could be talked into donating to a fund to supply them to the residents....
shari
Select Nomad

posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote

woodman....definately wins the Laugh of the Week prize...thanks I needed that after a hot stuffy day in Sta.Rosalia dealing with incompetent officials!!!

bajaguy
Select Nomad

posted on 6-3-2009 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote

incompetent officials...............

Shari....quit repeating yourself

Pages:  1  2  3
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top

Google

BajaNomad.com Web

All Content Copyright © 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.