Author: Subject: Oppenheimer commentary
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2003 at 12:07 PM
Oppenheimer commentary

From the Miami Herald. 3-20-03

Andres Oppenheimer: The Oppenheimer Report
War could do harm in Latin America

ATLANTA - There are three major reasons why the U.S.-led war on Iraq may hurt Latin America over the next two years, even if it results in a quick U.S. victory.

Judging from what I heard during a conference on Latin America organized by the Carter Center and attended by Latin American officials and 10 former presidents earlier this week, there is a near consensus that the war will hurt Latin America both politically and economically. Among the reasons:

WAR ISSUES

First, the war -- and the postwar effort -- will keep the Bush administration's attention focused on the Persian Gulf for much of the remainder of President Bush's first term. That means that the ambitious Latin American agenda pushed by Bush before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks will fade into near oblivion.

''The war will put us further on the margins,'' Bolivia's vice president, Carlos Mesa, told me. ``If we were relatively unimportant for the United States before the war, we will be even more unimportant from now on.''

Even if the war is short and Saddam Hussein is deposed in one month, the United States would have to lead a reconstruction process, which would probably take at least six months to put in place.

Then, as part of its postwar diplomatic damage control efforts, the Bush administration would most likely call a Middle East conference to solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in early 2004.

By then, Washington would be fully immersed in the 2004 presidential elections, and most foreign policy initiatives would be put off. Which means that, whether Bush is reelected or not, the United States might not resurrect its Latin America agenda -- an expansion of free trade and U.S. incentives for democratic countries -- until 2005.

Second, the Iraq war is likely to worsen the world's economic slump. This will hurt Latin America, which depends heavily on exports to the United States and Europe.

Even oil exporters such as Mexico and Ecuador, which would benefit from a short-term rise in oil prices, are likely to see exports other than oil drop because of a world recession. And virtually all Latin American countries may feel a further tightening of foreign loans, foreign investments, and remittances from their migrant workers living in the United States.

Third, the war on Iraq may strain diplomatic relations between the United States and Latin America, where virtually all big countries -- except Colombia -- have come out against the war.

Earlier this week, U.S. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said the United States was ''disappointed'' with Mexico and Chile's refusal to give Bush its critical votes at the 15-member United Nations Security Council.

Well-placed officials tell me Secretary of State Colin Powell has significantly cooled a friendly relationship with Mexican Foreign Minister Luis Ernesto Derbez.

''What Mexico did does not put that country on the road to leadership, but on the road to irrelevance,'' said Juan Del Aguila, a political scientist at Atlanta's Emory University.

IN OPPOSITION

Mexico and Canada's opposition to President Bush's war plans has fueled speculation in foreign policy circles that, in the event of a successful war, a victorious Bush would drop his earlier plans for strengthening the Canada-U.S.-Mexico partnership, and instead build a new U.S.-Britain-Spain axis that would extend into the U.S.-dependent Eastern European states that support the war.

Suggesting that the recent spat at the U.N. Security Council may not leave hard feelings, Chile's Interior minister, Jos? Miguel Insulza, told me the failure to find a diplomatic solution through the United Nations ''is a closed chapter.'' If the United States emerges from the war without holding grudges, ''there could be a second chapter'' of Latin American cooperation, he said.

Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2003 at 06:08 PM

Things do always seem to come full circle, huh Grover. 200 years from Imperial reign to Imperial reign.

Did you hear Bush just finally moseyed on over to ask congress for the 80 BILLION dollars he predicts the first year of this war will cost? The real cost will make that incredible figure look like small potatoes. No war has ever come in under budget and this certainly won't be the first.

How many starving mouths could that kind of money feed? How many dying Africans could be saved? The numbers just boggle my mind.

And merrily we roll along. - Stephanie
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2003 at 09:16 PM

"Our system is broken because it only represents a few."

Our system only represents the few who care enough to participate.

Last election less than 50% of those eligible voted. Of those that did how many actually participated in the nomination process?

When was the last time you went to a precinct meeting or campaigned for a candidate?

Our system isn't broken.....it's rusty.

Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2003 at 12:05 AM

OK You asked for it, Dave. You got it. When was the last time I went to a precinct committee meeting? After standing on street corners for months getting thousands of signatures to recall ex-Governor Mecham (87), and registering over two thousand people to vote single-handedly, I decided it was time to get involved with the Democratic Party as a precinct committee person. I lasted about three or four months till the stench of party politics made me so sick I could take no more and quit. The final straw was when then Senator Chuy Higuera came to the meeting drunk off his butt and could barely even speak in his congressional update, then bee-lined it to the bar next door. I sat there stymied as the meeting continued without missing a beat. The next month I went in and suggested that we needed a representative in Congress that could stay sober long enough to represent our interests. I was then stone-walled and black-balled by same group, proving once again the old addage "He may be an a-hole, but he's our a-hole!". I got the last laugh a few months later when he was indicted in a sting by the Attorney General's office where he was caught on tape taking a big bribe to allow gambling interests in Arizona. He wanted the shrimp concession too. Must have had some buds in Guaymas.

So, there. Party politics is rotten to the core. Trust me on that one. I'm now an independent, and have still never missed a vote, but I'm a lot poorer than I was just a few years ago as my money seems to have evaporated into the ether with the decline in the stock market. But, see, I don't believe money just evaporates. I believe it now just resides in another pocket.

Stats have it that 5% of the people in this country posess around 80% of the wealth of the country. What do you make of that, Dave? I can vote in every election till I turn ninety and not make a dimes worth of difference in where the money goes. It's in the hands of an aristocracy that preys off the labor of the common man and woman and even more so off those common men and women who live in other countries without minimal protection against corporate robbery.

Rant over.......for today. :roll:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2003 at 05:55 PM

"Party politics is rotten to the core. "

I never said it wasn't. Neither is it easy. But the only way to affect change short of anarchy is through the process.

How do you think the Christian right and ultra-conservatives came to dictate republican policy? One vote, one precinct at a time.

"Tip" said it best. "All politics is local". Once you control a party at a grassroots level you can run a monkey for president. The rest of the populace will follow along lock step. Back that up with judicial support at the highest level and the monkey wins.

Regarding your comments about the stock market:

The market is a zero sum game. For every winner there is a looser. A gamblers paradise and only those in the know consistently make any dough. It ain't fair but neither is life.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2003 at 08:46 PM

Bush wont win reelection.

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2003 at 12:18 PM

Unless people who are disgruntled vote it is hard to unseat an incumbent......I always vote not only becuase it is a right hard fought for and easily lost but also so I have the right to b-tch. All others, well, they can just pipe down.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-26-2003 at 09:34 PM

The funny thing is when a democrat uses U.S. troops (without U.N. approval) it is just fine... i.e. no protestors. To show respect for the decisions the president made, Republicans didn't march in the street and disrupt lives when we invaded Somalia or Kosovo... even though it was perhaps a mistake to do so .

The people protesing, are not against 'war' (otherwise they would have protested during the last president's term). They are against George W. Bush, simply because he is a Republican. :yes:

It is now past time to protest going to Iraq... we are there, like it or not. Now is the time to support the troops. If you don't, that's just more Republican voters you will help create.

Kind of like the way Clinton helped create Republican majorities in congress...:roll:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.