BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hobie Adventure Island kayak
Roderick

[*] posted on 6-9-2009 at 11:32 AM
Hobie Adventure Island kayak

Does anyone have any experience with the Hobie Adventure Island kayak? I have been doing alot of research about small trimaran sailing kayaks and canoes. I have been thinking of buying something to take down the west coast of baja sailing,camping and surfing.
http://www.hobiecat.com/adventure-island/models_adventure_is...

Thanks
Roderick
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 09:29 AM

Roderick
I have two of them (my wife's and mine, red and yellow). One is set up for fishing, the other is as is.
Used them for abou two years now. Fully rigged, mine weighs about 110 lbs. We generally only take one to Baja and carry it on a Toyota FJ.
Except for the weight, we love them. You do have to learn to read the wind if you plan on sailing it much.
Join the Hobie kayak forum. Lots of useful info there!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Roderick

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 11:51 AM

udowinkler,
Thanks for the repy. I have tried a few and I am still looking into it. What do you think about using one on the pacific side? I have alot of surfing , sailing, windsurfing experience.
Where do you normally go? Are there other AI poeple you sail with? I have been on that forum for quite awhile.

Roderick
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 02:15 PM

The weight of the hobie is a bit much. You'll ruin your holiday with a broken back. I am using this one. Way more convenient.

http://www.nautiraid.com/

[Edited on 6-10-2009 by gnukid]
Roderick

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 03:57 PM

Look fun , where would you get one in the US? I'm looking for something a bit larger.Wheres that photo taken? Wheres the sail rig from?
Udo
Elite Nomad

wink.gif posted on 6-11-2009 at 09:49 AM

I don't really hang around other AI's. However I am good friends with Dan and Greg Ketterman, the deisgners of the AI. We have known each other since the seventies.
The Pac side would really be ideal for a sail, especially now that there are tramps available for the amas/akas. It's an exciting addition to an already versatile yak. They can even be modified so a hole with some netting could be sewn in for a fish tank to hold your caught fish.
With the extra room, one could make a US to Cabo yak adventure a breeze. I would take one of the Werner carbon fiber paddles however...much easier on the arms, Roderick.:bounce:

Quote:
Originally posted by Roderick
udowinkler,
Thanks for the repy. I have tried a few and I am still looking into it. What do you think about using one on the pacific side? I have alot of surfing , sailing, windsurfing experience.
Where do you normally go? Are there other AI poeple you sail with? I have been on that forum for quite awhile.

Roderick

[Edited on 6-11-2009 by udowinkler]

Udo

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Look fun , where would you get one in the US? I'm looking for something a bit larger.Wheres that photo taken? Wheres the sail rig from?

Hey, the link I provided in the prior link was to the distributor, ask them.

The kayak is for two and the sail is the one that came with it.

The photo is taken from San Juanico Bay, there are small waves and a great launch at the 1st point, launch at the point behind the rock. When there are small waves like 6 inches you can fly along the coast with the sail and its pretty exciting.

I have had other double kayaks in the 50lbs and up range and it was hard to load and unload reducing use. I think this product is nice since it can be broken down and easily moved by one person. I always design my sport equipment to be able to loaded and unloaded by women. It makes more sense in the long run so everyone can do the work and have fun too.

A heavy kayak is no fun. By the way the inflatable kayaks are not fancy but they work very well for what they are. And they are super convenient for traveling to Baja. If you really want a pro kayak you can setup a reservation with pro outfitters who charge very reasonable rates to meet you and set it up. Its well worth it.

You can pay $2000 and carry a huge kayak everywhere, or pay $50/ per use and have them carry and deliver. The later makes good sense to lighten your load and make travel fun and convenient.
Roderick

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 11:04 AM

I think one big reason I haven't jumped into buying one is I haven't found any other people to go with yet. My wife is not interested so I would need to hook up with other people to sail with. I've had boats before and it's just not that much fun by yourself.
One interesting thing I keep asking myself is why is it you never see anyone cruzing the coast / beach / surf in San Diego when there are four defferent types of small trimarans being made right in So Cal. ???

Roderick
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
One interesting thing I keep asking myself is why is it you never see anyone cruzing the coast / beach / surf in San Diego when there are four defferent types of small trimarans being made right in So Cal. ???
Roderick

lots of sailing going on here in san diego, don't know why you aren't observing such. or are you just looking for tris?

san diego usually has light winds, so sailing is usually kind of boring.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 11:43 AM

You know may also enjoy Stand up Paddle (SUP) which is now a fast growing sport and of course kitesurfing and windsurfing. Get out on a SUP this weekend and try it out for starters.

In Northern California there are hundreds of people out every afternoon at many locations. I think there are many factors, pacific ocean launching presents its own problems, even a 6 inch wave is intimidating to punch through, winds and waves can cause havoc. SOC on shore wind combined with on shore waves present unfavorable conditions. Generally Pacific coast has NorthWest predominent wind. Coastal sailing presents its own set of dangers. Harbors and lakes are far more safe for beginners.

You need to choose your launch locations carefully, have multiple return options and a Plan. You'll really enjoy a combo kayak with detachable trimaran pontoons and sail-in flat water Its simple, flexible and fun. Just get out there, look for enthusiasts and try it out.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 11:46 AM

Wahooo

Roderick

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 12:22 PM

I have always surfed ( Short board) and will continue to due so everyday. I've sailed, wind surfsailed and due to a rock climbing accident years ago don't surf sail anymore. My main interest is to go look for waves in Baja. Using it locally would be a great way to get used to it. Living by the coast in SD there are alot of small to flat days with plenty of wind to use an AI or similar tri. I know there's allot of sailing going on but yes I am talking about with all these deferent cool craft out there why don't I see them cruzing the coast. Where I live in Encinitas alone there are 3 Hobie cats beached and are never used. I do see paddle boards , surf skis and SUPs out there but for me a smaller tri looks good.

I like this "You'll really enjoy a combo kayak with detachable trimaran pontoons and sail-in flat water Its simple, flexible and fun."
That sounds like a hobie AI to me. They just have a few tecnical issue I've been concern with.
Is that you kiting or peddling? For 1600.00 you can convert that kayack to a AI.

Thanks
Roderick
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 12:50 PM

No the photo is not me, I shot it while coaching. The girl pictured is cross-training to return to sailing after an injury.

I would look at used stuff too. As you mention its surprising how many people have gear who do not use it and those who do often have multiple setups. Check out Craigslist.

The answer to your question about why more do not sail the coast is something you are familiar with, the coast presents many joys and many dangers. Hypothermia is a concern.

The product you mention is excellent because you have multiple forms of propulsion to return to shore, wind, paddle and foot so you have a good chance of recovery.

The issue on the pacific is that a shore wave can cause havoc on launching and landing which can easily break the mast and sail, etc...

The real issue is can you lift a 50 pound kayak off your roof over your head. I would say no. This is why the lighter simpler products are more useful for non-professional athletes.

I believe that BajaExpeditions has the product you mention in their storage in La Paz and would be able to set you up for sailing in the Bahia de La Paz or even Lopez Mateos San Carlos or both. Contact them at http://bajaex.com they may have forgotten they have them so remind the operator I told you they are in the storage rafters. You can also rent a hobie on the malecon in La Paz, setup a plan for the early morning say 6am when the breeze is good or later say 3pm.

In La Paz there is a Coromuel south wind in the night and morning, you can use it to sail around and return at 11am as it calms down before it clocks around in the afternoon.

A shot of my friend Christian in Scorpian Bay.

or try kitesurfing

[Edited on 6-11-2009 by gnukid]
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 01:09 PM

Roderick:
Once you jump into the kayaks, Hobie or otherwise, you'll find other people of the same interests and you'll form a connection for getting together at a schedule that suits everyone involved.
Over the last few years, there have been sveral yak excursions that started in Oceanside Harbor and ended in either Mission Bay, or Shelter Island, near Point Loma (San Diego area).
Stop by the Oceanside OEX yak store and Nathan will fill you with adventures and fishing stories.
http://www.oeexpress.com/kayak-fishing.html.
They also sponsor a live web cam at La Jolla shores where you may drive your vehicle up to the water's edge to launch:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.php?page=lajollashoresweb...

This other link will provide further information on AI kayaks from hobie cat. It has other sublinks, including a classifieds section:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forum/community/viewforum.php?f=49

Quote:
One interesting thing I keep asking myself is why is it you never see anyone cruzing the coast / beach / surf in San Diego when there are four different types of small trimarans being made right in So Cal. ???

Roderick

Udo

Roderick

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 04:14 PM

Thanks Udowinnler,
All this great advice will be taken to heart. Thanks for the great LaJolla shore cam. Now I have one to check the surf by. I have talked and demoed an AI through OEX. Nice people. Your right about meeting people once I get something.
Gnukid,
I have been activly looking for used stuff and everything so far is to far to drive , to much or in bad condition but I am keeping my eyes open. There are things out there at the dealers but with tax added I think I will try getting something from a private party. The shot of your freind Christian in Scorpian Bay is cool. it looks like a nice set up. where did he get the sailing rig? When you say "I believe that BajaExpeditions has the product you mention in their storage in La Paz" do you mean an Adventure Island?
If you guy's are ever in the area stop by !

Thanks again
Roderick
www.customglasssigns.com
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2009 at 04:33 PM

Roderick

You can do a google search for more info on nautiraid sail

The kayak is a Nautiraid http://www.nautiraid.com

The sail is a Balogh BSD with BOSS outriggers
http://www.baloghsaildesigns.com/aboUs.html

More info here from people with experience.
http://www.foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.