BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hurricane Window Protection?
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 11:15 AM
Hurricane Window Protection?

Does anyone know a place I can go to to purchase Hurricane window protection in Cabo or La Paz?

Any suggestions on what type of hurricane protection is best or offers affordability and value?

I heard of these new ArmorPanel soft material ones...does anyone have any experience with this type of protection?

My casa is on the ocean south of Todos Santos and has lots of windows.

btw in hindsight I would have incorporated Hurricane protection into the design and building of the casa.

Thanks,

pacside
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 11:32 AM

You can get high dollar shutters. Or you can use plywood cut to size with corresponding anchor mounts in the window frames. Label/number the plywood panels to the windows. Tedious to put up and take down, but it'll save your windows and possibly your casa.:)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
You can get high dollar shutters. Or you can use plywood cut to size with corresponding anchor mounts in the window frames. Label/number the plywood panels to the windows. Tedious to put up and take down, but it'll save your windows and possibly your casa.:)

This is what we did and we have the plywood covers stored in our Bodega.

We also have a standing arrangement with a local friend to put up the covers if we are not there and there is a problem.

But we do not have a lot of windows, and it sounds like yours might be quite large????

Will be interested to hear what you end up with.

Diane

wsdunc
Nomad

Mood: Upbeat

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 12:45 PM

I reseached this a while ago, and it seemed that maybe the most functional solution is storm panels. Shutters can be very expensive, and plywood may not be strong enough? Anyhow, Google storm panels and see what comes up. Many are made from corrugated aluminum, some from plexiglass. I hadn't thought about it before, but closing yourself in to ride out a storm and having the power go out with all the windows covered would not be good, so a few plexiglass panels mixed in with mostly metal sounded like the right thing to me.
Steve
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 12:51 PM

I also made plywood covers and man does it get dark when they're installed. I like the plexiglass idea. My thought on store bought shutters is that if the plywood isn't strong enough it won't matter much cuz the roof would be gone too.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 01:04 PM

Several outfits in Cabo advertise hurricane protection in the Gazette. Contact them (Google Gazette) and maybe they can give you a pricing idea by e mail.

I do know that roll up shutters are expensive, but probably the best.

[Edited on 6-18-2009 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 01:47 PM

After years of using plywood we changed to fabric shutters 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. It is relatively easy to install the anchoring system and they are easy to put up when a storm is coming, even in a light breeze. They are rated for the worst conditions in Florida, especially flying debris. The other plus is that they are somewhat transparent so you can see through them and light still gets in. We have large windows on our second floor and I have no trouble istalling them at the end of a 20 ft. ladder.( 5 ft. by 22 ft. of glass) The cost is between the cost of plywood and the cost of aluminum panels. We ordered them over the internet and they were delivered in 2 weeks. Go to: http://www.hurricanefabric.com/index.php
The only negative is that they do not help secure your house from burglars.
Paul
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
After years of using plywood we changed to fabric shutters 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. It is relatively easy to install the anchoring system and they are easy to put up when a storm is coming, even in a light breeze. They are rated for the worst conditions in Florida, especially flying debris. The other plus is that they are somewhat transparent so you can see through them and light still gets in. We have large windows on our second floor and I have no trouble istalling them at the end of a 20 ft. ladder.( 5 ft. by 22 ft. of glass) The cost is between the cost of plywood and the cost of aluminum panels. We ordered them over the internet and they were delivered in 2 weeks. Go to: http://www.hurricanefabric.com/index.php
The only negative is that they do not help secure your house from burglars.
Paul

Paulclark
thanks for this info. did you purchase directly from this website? Do you have permanently installed anchors on the outside? if so, are they unsightly or minimal? do you know if this material is similar to what some are calling armorpanel (sp?)?
thanks
pacside
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Several outfits in Cabo advertise hurricane protection in the Gazette. Contact them (Google Gazette) and maybe they can give you a pricing idea by e mail.

I do know that roll up shutters are expensive, but probably the best.

[Edited on 6-18-2009 by vandenberg]

thanks vandenberg. yes i have seen those ads. i was just wondering if anyone had a recommendation on material type and/or company someone has used personally down there. yea the toll up shutters seem to be expensive. i like the hurricane fabric idea paulclark mentions. i'm not a big fan of the plywood. i don't want unsightly anchoring system on outside.
pacside
Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 10:06 PM

Depending on the opening size the anchors are placed on the top and bottom or two sides. Our 22 ft. by 5 ft. openings have anchors every 12" on the top and sides and were not required on the bottom. The anchors are permanently installed, are flush with the wall and leave a 3/8 inch hole. I have painted over them and they are not obvious. The material is similar in texture and appearance to trampoline fabric and comes in grey, brown and black. The web site I noted has a simple order form and calculation sheet. The fabric comes without anchors attached to the fabric, so the first step was to attach the anchors to the fabric, which was simple once you got a system going and then holding the fabric in place and marking the wall anchor locations and drilling and installing the wall anchors. We have 3 windows that are 22 ft. by 5 ft. each plus 5 windows that are 5ft. by 5 ft. and it took me 2 days to do the installation. When a storm is coming it takes me about 1 1/2 hours to put all the shutters up -- and that is up a 20 ft. ladder.
I am impressed with them and like the ease of storage. Your welcome to come and look at them installed if you are out my way. I did purchase them directly from the web site and my neighbor did too. Paul
pacside
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2009 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
Depending on the opening size the anchors are placed on the top and bottom or two sides. Our 22 ft. by 5 ft. openings have anchors every 12" on the top and sides and were not required on the bottom. The anchors are permanently installed, are flush with the wall and leave a 3/8 inch hole. I have painted over them and they are not obvious. The material is similar in texture and appearance to trampoline fabric and comes in grey, brown and black. The web site I noted has a simple order form and calculation sheet. The fabric comes without anchors attached to the fabric, so the first step was to attach the anchors to the fabric, which was simple once you got a system going and then holding the fabric in place and marking the wall anchor locations and drilling and installing the wall anchors. We have 3 windows that are 22 ft. by 5 ft. each plus 5 windows that are 5ft. by 5 ft. and it took me 2 days to do the installation. When a storm is coming it takes me about 1 1/2 hours to put all the shutters up -- and that is up a 20 ft. ladder.
I am impressed with them and like the ease of storage. Your welcome to come and look at them installed if you are out my way. I did purchase them directly from the web site and my neighbor did too. Paul

Thanks Paul...we will be your way in a couple weeks. I'll u2u when we are down there as I would like to see them.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 01:26 AM

Husb and i have been doing a lot of research latley on this very topic to determine what type of windows and window protection we'll be importing for the construction of our BCS home.

We had roll down shutters made for our small guest casita by Wheatbelt in Kansas and they are a high quality product and have worked out well.

But the cost of shutters for multiple larger windows and patio doors on our main house would be way over the top.

We looked in to using laminated impact/storm glass on the windows we'll be bringing down but the major window manufacturers who offer "storm or security" glass only offer it on their East Coast products.

So we're leaning towards using an impact/security window film by 3m that's applied to the interior side of the glass. It's supposed to be the best of it's kind, is invisible, requires no special care and has a long life expectancy. It's not reflective and doesn't have the mirror look of the old fashioned window films.

They test the product by shooting 2x4's out of cannons and have guys wacking the windows with sledge hammers. The outside of the glass may shatter but the film holds the pieces together so it stays intact and in place in the window and a potential intruder can't break through.

You can purchase the 3m film and install in yourself but since I can't even apply shelf paper without messing it up, we're going to let professionals do it after the windows are built and before we ship them to BCS. The 3m film is not cheap but I don't have an exact quote yet.

The hurricane fabric is an interesting option for the upstairs window storm protection-thanks for the tip.
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 04:38 AM

Pacside, check your U2U. My neighbor in Centenario does custom installations of the trampoline fabric screens. Wonderful.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 08:17 AM

Paulclark,

Would you post some pictures of the fabric window protection?

thanks

Paulclark
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 08:39 AM

I don't have any pictures of my shutters -- and I won't be putting them up until a storm is on its way. If you go to: http://www.hurricanefabric.com/hurricane_protection/hurrican...
you will see some good photos which accurately show the shutters installed.
During high season we undo one side or the top and roll them up between storms.
Paul
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 08:41 AM

Thanks Paul.

msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2009 at 09:27 PM
storm protection

Well I'll tell what I am doing for huricane protection. I am in the window / glass business and I have windows in my Baja home. I have some Kolbe & Kolbe wood aluminum clad windows in our bedroom and a gable shape "angle top" large area of glass in storefront aluminum that faces south and a huge exposure to storm winds......

Going south the end of July and have gotten my metal materials ready to fabricate/ install at that time.

1" sq tube with cross support. welded top hinges. welded slab at base with cut out to bolt/ lock bottom. expaneded metal mesh covering the frame.

lift for window awnings, shade, lower and bolt down and no problems. I know this will more than take care of the needs..

if you want some info just send me a note.

marty
submarine_dbk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 06:08 AM
Polycarbonate Corrugated Storm Panels

We have been looking at the 16mm Polycarbonate corrugated storm panels manufactured by Gallina. Very strong, lightweight, allow a lot of light to penetrate, Dade County Certified as well. Also like the idea of the glass films, but I don't believe they will do much to slow down wind driven rain.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 12:37 PM

Three homeowners in The Orchard in Mulege fabricated plywood coverings with weatherstripping and bolts anchored into the frames. They can be unbolted, leaving the anchors in place.

In Mulege, our damage is caused by the river flooding. The hurricanes are usually downgraded to TS status by the time they reach that far north and wind damage is usually minimal, but they still bring lots of water with them.

The hope is, that they will seal and make the house water tight. They were big projects by these guys. Each window and door opening is slightly different. The houses were custom built. No such thing as a standard opening.

They were all built this spring and haven't been tested. Hopefully they won't be. The coverings were built and anchored really well and look to me like it will work. As I see it, they'd better hope that water doesn't get in and then not have an outlet except for the shower drain. There is also the question of unequal water pressure if all the water is on the outside and none on the inside. I have joked with them that they'd better round up two of each species because that sucker is going to float. Seriously though, I hope they work as intended.

For the rest of us, we will watch and see what happens. We have gotten pretty good at cleanup.

Hurricane protection.jpg - 5kB

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-18-2009 at 03:13 PM

Common sense says "this will not work"

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.