Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Diving in Baja
Martin

biggrin.gif posted on 6-17-2004 at 12:20 AM
Diving in Baja

Greetings from the UK.

I will be coming out to Baja California in Late October to do some (lots of) scuba diving.

Is this the best time to go?
Where are the best places to dive and also the best places to stay for a moderate budget.

All replies would be most welcome.

Many thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 12:33 AM

Hello Martin, welcome to this great forum on Mexico's magic peninsula of Baja (Bah-ha) California!

I hope you get many great answers here. I am not a scuba diver, but will get the ball rolling with a recommendation of Cabo Pulmo (Baja's only living coral reef and a protected reserve). There are dive shops and places to stay.

I have not been to Cabo Pulmo in 30 years, so it is not the same place I remember! Use your search engine and see what pops up for Cabo Pulmo. I also recommend going to http://BajaExpo.com and click on the link for 'East Cape' then look for details on Cabo Pulmo. Check other places for lots of details, too.

Late October should be great, and not too chilly in the water, yet.

[Edited on 6-17-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 09:42 PM
The best diving in Baja...

IMHO is at the islands in and to the north of La Paz Bay. They are reachable by day boats and liveaboards based out of La Paz. La Paz is a delightful city and has all kinds of accommodations. There are several excellent dive operations in La Paz. The east cape, from Cabo San Lucas to Bahia de Los Muertos to the north, offers some interesting diving on shallow living coral reefs. Cabo Pulmo is one of them, by far the best known and often incorrectly thought to be the only living coral reef in North America. However there are actually many living coral reefs in the east cape area, ranging from small patch reefs to what I consider to be the best of the living coral reefs which is about one-half mile off of Punta Pescadero. I have dived both Pescadero and Pulmo many times and they are both interesting, but Pescadero appears to be larger (no-one, to my knowledge, has ever mapped it) and in slightly deeper water (generally about 60fsw) and not only offers the typical reef fish and critters, but a better chance for seeing pelagics like mobulas, yellowfin tuna, and large schools of jack crevalle (toro). Have a great trip,

++Ken++

PS October is, IMHO, the BEST time for diving in the Sea of Cortez.

[Edited on 6-18-2004 by Ken Bondy]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 09:44 PM

October is about the best month to visit us, welcome and enjoy our casa.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 10:19 PM
Actually

There are quite a few of them besides "the only living coral reef in wherever" but, I certainly wouldn't reveal their locations on here!:light:
Thanks Gato. I was just about to start some ridiculous rant:lol:

[Edited on 6/18/2004 by jrbaja]
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 6-18-2004 at 08:46 AM

Martin... Ken is right about La Paz, it is a great place to dive and is very diver friendly. I have had great dives also in Loreto and Cabo San Lucas. It all depends on how much time you have to be in Baja. Being new to the area, I would probably stay on the cape and rent a car to travel to the dive sites. I also believe there is a Baja Dive book on the market that might help.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-18-2004 at 11:47 AM
simple.....

la paz or pulmo, anything else is 3rd rate.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2004 at 10:41 AM

Islas Encantdas is great if you are looking for expedition style stuff. Out in the middle of nowhere with cool wildlife.

I got to agree with mike though, down south has great diving.

Hey mike how about a 2nd rate rating for me?

GTB

"Ill go feel sorry for myself in paradise..."
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2004 at 10:43 AM

We usualy freedive out here though because of the great spearfishing.

GTB

"The nice thing about freediving is the tank fills are free..."
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2004 at 01:00 PM
Isla San Pedro

http://www.cruisecortez.com/sanpedro.htm
Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2004 at 08:20 AM
Tons of places

Tons of great places to dive in Baja?. I would suggest looking at http://www.bajaevents.com/diving.html ? quit a few places to pick from,,,, budget to fly you down and land you on a deserted beach?

Have fun and find Nimo??

Tio Rocky
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2004 at 06:23 PM
and Dale's operation

is at least in the top 3 i'll bet!!

www.gonetobaja.com

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 06:31 AM
bet right

You bet right Captain,,,,

Ever check out his trip "side effects"? Pretty funny?.

http://bajaevents.com/sanfelipe/gonetobaja/sideeffects.html

Dude runs some good smack?
6flora6
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2004 at 06:03 PM

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by 6flora6]
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2004 at 11:23 AM
Diving

I love you guys,

Ill take top 3 placement any day. By the way, Im going to have the guys from world wide fishing guides http://www.worldwidefishingguide.com go out to the islands with me next week july 7-11 on a 3 day islands trip and they are going to film the whole thing and put it on TV. When I get more details Ill post them and let you guys know when it will be on.

Fox sports west

We are bringing an underwater camera, a real professional one. Its going to be dead tide. Great time to spearfish!

Just got back from two days and it was windy the whole time. We have had alot of wind this year.

I still need to get you guys out to the islands Mike and Tio,

check your tide charts and tell me when you want to go, Dead tide only...

GTB

[Edited on 7-3-2004 by gonetobaja]
Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2004 at 09:30 AM

Only if I can bring my obnoxious seadoo?? and you promise not to spear me?. or shoot a potato gun at me??getting me drunk is ok =)

This is Tio just before he goes over.... dumb &^%%$#
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2004 at 01:54 PM
Sea DOOOOOOOO

That would be an interesting trio Tio, Maybe one day We could get a bunch of you jetski dudes and do a jetski Island trip. I could bring the extra fuel in my boat. you would probably have to put your sea do in the back of your truck because the road down here right now is a trailer killer.

I have had trouble logging on, I think my computer needs a new fuel filter or something....

Or an oil change?

I like my spearguns better, much less technikel stuff, Load, aim, shoot.

Dive down and look fer a fish, If ya see em then you take a shot, hopefully ya hit em.

If ya miss, do it over. Thats nice and simple for a guy like me.

Im leaving on wendsday. I already got the jitters. I have never been on TV before and I am very nervous if everything is going to be ok.

If I could only controll the weather and fish Id be ok...:lol:

Im gonna try to say "bajanomad.com" during the show and get us shameless plug for the site...

Hey mike you never told me what that aviator/radio handheld thing was that you can talk to airplanes with. Im thinking of getting one.

GTB
"Beer in this part of baja tastes better because of the relative location to the lunar gravitational pull causing optimum carbonation release. This release in conjuntion with the tilting of the bottle enables the barley and hops to co-mingle with the carbonation release creating a perfect mix of flavoring and refreshment not possible in any other part of the world. Also the lime helps too..."

Dr. Chugo Pacifico
Head director of carbonation reaserch
Playa Escondida BC
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2004 at 05:41 PM
Dale, my bird down for several weeks

but when it gets ready plus or minus end of july/ 1st of august we are going to hit your place!

oh, the hand held Av band vhf... quite a story...i need to do a complete write up one day, but the outline goes like this:

flew my then '67 mooney M-20 F with da wife from PHX to Yucatan peninsula dec ' 1990 for a 3 week stupendous vaca, cozumel, isla mujeras, chichen itza, tulum, the works - 3 weeks man!

coming home was in IFR solid cloud and light rain leaving Minatlatan heading for Brownsfield TX. - filed IFR but expected easy stuff.

Weather got heavier 30 min north, rain much harder, started coming thru the glareshield via the maintenance panel which on the pre "J" models was fore of the plexiglass glare shield. Long story short....we lost (shorted out) the volt reg, the generator and soon ran the batt to zilch. still in solid IFR conditions at least 300 miles south of the border we lost all radio and navagational aids, the worst thing period when IFR. and we are in the soup.

Wife dug out the ICOM a - 22 hand held which i bought specifically as a back up when i got my instrument ticket, we relayed to San angelo FSS via tampico and they sent a U.S. customs Citation to find us and lead us to VFR conditions which were to be found only at Del Rio TX, we made it with about 15 min fuel left. was 3 hours after we lost all electrical in the plane. with out that radio i would have had to turn towards the gulf and slowly simply descend to the water, or until vis got ok, which ever came 1st. then follow the coast as best i could. we didn't carry a raft then.

the jet took a picture of us when we got into the clear, the pilots sent it to me with a short letter. it hangs on my office wall to remind me that life is at best a gamble to be taken seriously at all times.

Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2004 at 01:00 PM
Beer & Fish

Hey Dr. Chugo Pacifico,

I may use that on my site if it's ok.... but of course I would be Dr. Chugo Corona...

About the seadoo thing,,,, I'm putting together a new site called Baja Taco Tours (www.bajatacotours.com) ... just started it.... it's going to be taco tours, tequila tours, atv & fishing tours "with" Tio Rocky in Ensenada,,,, I have Greg Row, 5X Baja 500 and 3X Baja 1000 Champion hooked up to do the ATV part... maybe we should do a watercraft tour??? Spend the night in Ens getting all ^%$#@*& up then truck over to your side of Baja for a couple of days.... could be good for both of us....

Tio
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2004 at 09:40 PM

Im in for any baja related stuff...

By the way Dr. Pacifico is a real dude, I was talking to him...

Im serious...

GTB
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.