Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: La Cocedora de Langosta - Ensenada
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 12:40 PM
La Cocedora de Langosta - Ensenada

Suddenly, Ensenada seems to be teeming with wonderful new restaurants. They all have talented and creative chefs using the best and freshest of our locally available ingredients. We consider ourselves very lucky to be living in an area just discovering its great gastronomic resources. We suspect that, someday, Ensenada will be a true “dining destination”.

Yesterday day took us (Bajabound2005, Bajamigo, Sylens & Mr. Sylens, Beachbum1a and Dorbaja) to one of Ensenada’s newest (yet oldest) restaurants, La Cocedera de La Langosta. The sign out front says “desde 1968”, but they just opened in mid-May of the year. Prior to that, we think they were housed within the fish market.

Now they are located in a lovely new building on the road that runs directly behind the new ProTurismo office on Blvd Costero, a stone’s throw from the Fish Market.

Chef Favio prepares a variety of ceviches in two styles: Traditional and Del Compadre. The chef treated our table to a dish of the Especial Del Compadre, which was a combination of shellfish. The Del Compadre Ceviche has sliced jalapeños, red onion, cilantro, and chopped black olives. It was served with crispy tostadas and was absolutely divine.

The ceviche:

Next up was a clam pate served with a few slices of fresh baguette. Very different and delicious. Then came mussels escabeche. Just smelling it was enough. Perfectly cooked mussels (served out of the shell) in a tantalizing sauce that one wanted to just pick up the bowl and drink it (a couple of us did)!

Mussels Escabeche:

Then we ordered different things: oysters on the half shell (big and juicy), chocolate clams on the half shell with cucumber, jalapeño and can’t remember what else. Lobster burritos (3 to a plate!). Oysters Rockefeller: big plump oysters served hot and topped with spinach and bread crumbs with a sauce that required a few more slices of that fresh baguette. And there was the Platillo del Dia – the special of the day which included the full boat of clam pate, mussels escabeche, rock cod (cooked to perfection) served atop a bed of basmati rice, fresh steamed asparagus, roasted golden beets topped with dill flowers. That also came with dessert, which was supposed to be mango mousse (that we were all dying to try) but ended being vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup (no one sent it back!)

Chocolate Clams:

Platillo del Dia:

The bill for six of us, including wine, beer and sodas, was $1297 pesos (or $101 USD). And you can see, we had LOTS of food. And, yes, they take credit cards!

Of course, they do have lobster, served any way you’d like, but none of us ordered that (other than the lobster burritos, which were sweet and tasty) so we cannot speak to it. We’re sure it is certainly as well prepared as anything else we did have the opportunity to taste.

The service was very attentive, and the wait between courses somewhat “leisurely”. However, virtually everything is prepared fresh, and the ambiance is warm and comfortable, so we enjoyed the experience.

La Cocedora has a great selection local wines that you don’t see in stores like Costco or Comercial. In fact, we’ve only seen them in fine restaurants or local wine events. La Contra, inside Restaurant Del Parque (623 Montezuma) also carries these boutique wines. The wines at La Cocedora are available also for retail purchase at very reasonable prices (my favorite white wine, Estacion Porvenir) is just $140 pesos.

And to top it off, La Cocedora also has a retail fish market inside the restaurant offering the freshest of fish and seafoods. So bring your ice chest!

The restaurant is open Tuesday through Sunday, from 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m. The Pescaderia is open daily from 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Directions: Take Blvd Costero to the intersection where you turn to go to Immigration (Pemex on the right). Make a hard left (almost a u-turn). There is a paid parking lot right there. Park in that lot (and take your ticket in with you because they validate). Once you’re in the lot, the restaurant is about half-way through the lot on your left.

The manager, Jonathon, speaks excellent English, as do most of the waiters should you need any help deciphering the menu.

Their website, www.lacocedoradelalangosta.com, is under construction but should be up and running soon. In the meantime, you can find them on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/friends/?added&ref=tn#/profile.p...

View of the Ensenada Harbor, Saturday, June 20, 2009

Next week, we'll be visiting another new pearl in Ensenada with Udo Winkler and Mrs. Udo!

and the oysters on the half shell!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 01:39 PM

Wow, that is a lot of food for the price!We are going down next month and will be sure to check it out.Good thing you mentioned the hours.Closed at 5 pm??Early dinner then!Geez my tummy is growling now....

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 03:39 PM

Can't wait to try that one out. It was recently reviewed at "Masa Assassin" here, with a glowing review.....................

http://masaassassin.blogspot.com/search/label/Ensenada%20Res...

Thanks for your review.

[Edited on 6-21-2009 by tripledigitken]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Can't wait to try that one out. It was recently reviewed at "Masa Assassin" here, with a glowing review.....................

"Glowing" and perhaps "Growing" as well. Not sure what they meant by this:

"The rice was incredibly delicious and tasted homemade"

None the less, the place looks great. I'll try it.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 06:14 PM

Dennis, that was not from OUR review! But you're right, that does sound a little crazy!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Dennis, that was not from OUR review! But you're right, that does sound a little crazy!

I know. Ken credited it to massassasssassin.
MasaAssassin

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 10:06 PM

Great Review BB, I wish I could have tried more when I went but their were only 2 of us :(

About the rice tasting homemade..... that was meant as compliment, the rice coming out of my wifes kitchen is a high benchmark:P

Saludos, Masa
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 10:28 PM

those oysters look great. it all looks great! I'm going!

Thanks for the review
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2009 at 11:33 PM

It certainly looks great, and I wish them the best. But recent times make me wonder who and why open a restaurant these days.
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 07:18 AM

Just want to confirm what a great dining experience this was!
I had the Oysters Rockefeller and they were soooooo good!
One of the extra niceties about dining with several people is you usually get the opportunity to sample some other dishes and today was no exception.
If you're a lover of seafood (like I am), come by and try this restaurant out. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Just do it!
dorbaja

Mood: Muy contenta...

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 01:03 PM

This review was RIGHT ON TARGET!!! I'm re-drooling just thinking about this wonderful foodie experience. Not only were the food and wine excellent, the place has a terrific vibe. YUM!!!

NAMASTE
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dorbaja
the place has a terrific vibe. YUM!!!

Sounds delicious. What is it?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 01:12 PM

Just make sure it's well-cooked.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Just make sure it's well-cooked.

My pans are always hot but, what is a VIBE? Is it a shellfish or, might it be one of our Baja finned varietys?
Maybe BajaDorrie can jump in here with clarification.
C'mon down, Dorrie. We need you.
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 04:03 PM

We're going next Thursday afternoon if the wife can get off of work early!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigboy
We're going next Thursday afternoon if the wife can get off of work early!

Tell her to take charge of her life. It only happens once. :lol::lol:
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 04:42 PM

Dennis,

She knows it.......... hopefully soon!
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
It certainly looks great, and I wish them the best. But recent times make me wonder who and why open a restaurant these days.

I see what you mean, but this place was BUSY! I think anything new and different succeeds...at first. The ? is can they keep up the momentum? "Different" is the key word...they have to keep up with being "different"!

Masa: Next time you're in Ensenada, let's get together because we can put together a table of 8 in no time! That assures everyone getting to taste lots of yummies!

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 06:03 AM

CLOSED MONDAY. Except if you knock on the back door and ask very nicely if you can buy some ceviche. Miriam and Jonathon took my friend and I inside for a tour, a Bohemia and a red wine and a sampling of other wines.

When they could only produce 1/2 of the ceviche I needed "to go"(chef is off when the restaurant is closed) they offered to deliver for my party tuesday 40 minutes south of downtown Ensenada. yikes.

If they are this friendly when closed, I can't wait to go back when they have their "it's showtime" attitude full on.

larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2009 at 09:15 AM

BajaBound. Thanks for this great recommendation. My wife and I drove 600 miles, from Oakland, on Friday to eat there based on your comments and photos. It exceeded our expectations. This is the freshest, and best prepared seafood you can get. The entire staff really cares about what they are doing.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.