Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Fishing advice
BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 03:21 PM

i spent some time in that area paddling a little boat with my 10 yr old. We killed it with chunked bait drifting along the bottom next to the rockpiles. We simply paddled slowly with a tiny weight and the bait bouncing along the bottom and the bass/cabrilla came flying out of the rocks. Small ones, but tons of fun.

Aq
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
I'm beginning to think fishing just may be too dangerous myself.;)

Ken

Me too ken. The last time I was down South I cast directly into a passing pelican. The lure hit him in the rear end and stuck. My first reaction was to push down on the spool with my thumb to avoid the dreaded braided line backlash. I could smell the burning flesh before my brain could tell my thumb to let go of the spool. Then to make matters worse the pelican nearly put my eye out with his beak while I tried to get the hook out of him. I don't have pictures or a video but I do still have a bit of a callous on my thumb.

Think maybe I will take up a safer hobby like surfing or watching TV......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
bajamommy

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 09:47 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I tried to post pix yesterday, but it didn't work. Here's trying again.

Pelican2.gif - 39kB
bajamommy

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 09:48 PM
barracuda

and here's the fish...

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by bajamommy]

barracuda2.gif - 44kB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 11:28 PM

Those inflatable rafts are great for the pacific lagoons. Don't know if your heart is set on Conception Bay but if you stop for a day or two at a lagoon with that raft I guarantee you will put a smile on his face.

It is normal, that is normal, to catch a spotted bay bass on every other cast if you know what to do. Go to Laguna Manuela and launch near the entrance in the early morning before the afternoon winds come up. Paddle into the lagoon around the first bend and just beach fish. When tired, paddle to a different spot. I did that as a grown up with flyrod. There won't be any monsters but at that age action is more important anyway.

Tired of the lagoon? Take the road or a pleasant walk to the lighthouse and fish the pocket beaches below for corbina. Attached picture is that of Alex when he was 11 near the lighthouse. The setup you see is good for shore fishing: ugly stick rod ($45) and penn 550SS reel ($85 at cabelas.com). You want to get him equipment that's made for saltwater or it will corrode and break down and ruin his vacation.

I can provide a lot more info if necessary.

Cheers

Picture-079.jpg - 46kB
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.