Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: FAQ's Part 1 - Tipping
rockchalkbajawk

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 08:14 AM
FAQ's Part 1 - Tipping

FAQ's Part One

Heading down to East Cape, and San Jose for some quality time in July.
My Mom and Dad wanted me to find out some things. First off - tipping.
I've always tipped people according to what their services were worth
to me, only to find out later I've been WAY overtipping. That never
bothered me, but Dad is a little different. How much do you tip for
the following?

Pemex dude
Kid that carries out your groceries
Kid that carries your tackle to the boat
Guys on the boat
Guy that assigns the boats at a resort
Guys that knock the heck out of a block of ice to keep your Pacificos cold
rockchalkbajawk

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 08:26 AM

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 08:53 AM
Tipping

Pemex Dude- nothing unless he washes the windows. 3 pesos for bad job 5 pesos for good job 10 pesos for all windows.

Grocery Dude or Dudette- keep a sharp eye on your groceries being loaded. The kids aren't that quick so the guy behind you in line may end up with some of your groceries. 5 to 10 pesos depending on how many groceries and the smile of beneficiary.

Tackle to boat 5 - 10 pesos

Guys on boat 50 - ?? pesos. Depends on whether you have fun and catch fish.

Assigning boat at hotel. Nothing until you are back. Had fun? 50 to 200 pesos, some fish, and muchas thank yous will get you an even better time the next trip.

Block knockers 5 - 10 pesos.

Buena suerte----
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 09:05 AM

I think it always is determined by the persons attitude, the way they treat you. The thing to consider is most locals don't earn alot of money. If you get good service, give freely. I've paid kids not to wash my my windows. The guy at the Pemex station the just ripped you off and smiles about it....forget it. The pangero who just took you for the trip of a lifetime...take care of him.
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 01:26 PM

My husband was one of those, "guys on the boat", for many years, and they do depend on your tips. Salary was about 1100 pesos every 2 weeks ($100), so I would say at least a $20 tip. More if you catch (and release) lots of fish!

My husband has just started doing some welding up here in the states and I can see his arm muscles building back up. They were really big when he was out fishing all day. I tease him about the easy job he used to have, but guess it was pretty strenuous labor.

Have fun down at the cape. My husband and a friend will be there about the 27th of June, I thinking they're staying at Las Palmas? Silver toyota, probably a kayak on the back. H.

P.S. Bohemia should be pretty easy to find, that's what my husband drinks too, when he doesn't have his Don Pedro! :biggrin:
richard nauman
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 01:30 PM
richard nauman

I agree with the advice so far. I always try to make sure the panaga skipper gets a good tip (give it to him personnaly to make sure he gets it). Once in San Quintin at the PEMEX our car was about to be assaulted by a bunch of boys with dirty rags. While my wife handled the filling of the tank I was able to distract them with a grocery bag full or Oranges (we were poor college students and had brought a couple of big sacks of oranges from my parents house because we didn't think we had enough money for food, gas and beer on the trip). They must have been very hungry becuase they all sat down in a row on the curb and peeled and ate the first round in seconds. I kept handing out oranges until it was time to leave. I'll never forget how fast they ate those big oranges or how they smiled when I asked if they wanted one.
RN
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 01:33 PM
I wouldn't have wanted

to be the guy in the next car that didn't have oranges.:lol:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 02:47 PM
tips-loose change

Ever wonder how to get rid of all that change that is not worth much?
Add it to the tip in a cafe.
I always unload my change (even in the US) on top of the real, paper money tip.
Looks impressive, saves wear on the pocket.
My Jalisco born wife (as well as my four foster sons from Baja) never, ever get rid of change. Even after all these years of living in the States they still end up with piles of coin on the dresser.
So, I scoop up Teresa's stash every morning and present it to the first coffee shop stop I make.

Baja Arriba!!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 02:51 PM
Works pretty good

for the toll booths and some pay phones down here as well.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 06:28 PM
Loose change

I always give it (or try to, I always end up with a bunch in the bottem of my purse) the guys in the white suits (Morman missionarys?) at the border.

Tipping is also something I've wondered about. I've never thought it should have anything to do with the "amount of fish you catch" or "how good the food was" that doesn't seem to be in the control of the person (server) you are tipping, I tip by attitude.

One of the biggest tips I've ever given in Baja was to the Panga driver that took MA Hunfreville, Migualito and I on our "Whale Annoying" trip, he seemed to get as big a kick out of it as we did when MA finally got to pet a teashing baby whale (Migualito and I had pet her/him several times, it was teasing MA) this sweet man kept moving the boat and moving it until MA finally got her "feel" I'll never forget her shreek of Joy or his smiles! What was supposed to be an hour and half trip was in reality about 3 plus hours thanks to this kind man. :biggrin:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 07:12 PM
Tipping

" I've never thought it should have anything to do with the "amount of fish you catch" or "how good the food was" that doesn't seem to be in the control of the person (server) you are tipping, I tip by attitude."
I don't think the quality of food was mentioned and it has nothing to do with tipping unless you are tipping the cook. Which is acceptable.
As you say attitude is everything as far as service goes. Brings to mind La Fonda a few years back. Worst service-best food. Tip the cook! In front of the waiter!
As far as fishing goes, tip by the amount of fish you are catching or the amount of fun El Capitano makes you have. They know what's up and they know where to make people catch fish. And they know before you leave the dock.
And by the way, it is HIGHLY illegal for a panga captain to chase whales. Lucky the whale police were busy with some other lawbreakers!
:lol:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2004 at 07:46 PM
No, you are right JR

quanity/quality of food wasn't mentioned (it's just something I thought about, it was mentioned if you are catching fish)

Our Panga Capitano wasn't "chashing" the whale (I would have had a problem with that myself) the baby (with Mom looking on) kept popping up on one side, then dive under to the other side, just as MA reached out to pet her/him (she/he let Miguelito and I pet her several times) she seemed to be teasing MA (MA has a knee proplem and moves slower that we do) our panga driver would just turn the panga around to give MA another chance, when we were ready to give up and head back (fired up the motor) "Baby" came up and just stayed there to let MA pet her! We cut the motor again and spent a few more minutes...then (sadly) headed back, baby broke off to Mom and headed back (I'm sure telling Mom of her/his exciting couple or hours with the silly Gringos!

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2004 at 07:45 AM
That sounds like

There must have been a LOT of laughs!:lol:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2004 at 08:10 AM
JR

Quote "there must have been alot of laughs"

Who? us or the Whales? :o

Really, both I think :) I'm not really sure who enjoyed it more, the whale or us? Mama stayed at comfortable (to baby) distance away, as I said, learning I guess
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 6-18-2004 at 08:43 AM

remember when you used to get a little sticker from the hospital people on the road ? I allways thought that was good luck. I still give but I'd feel better with my sticker;D

All that wonder are not lost
rockchalkbajawk

[*] posted on 6-18-2004 at 09:43 AM
I was right

I have been seriously over-tipping. That's OK though, it makes me and my wife happy. I didn't buy anything from the beach vendors at Punta Colorada last year, but they were so mellow (and it was hot) I bought them all Cokes, and everyone looked at me like I was crazy. On the boat, we went out one day and "almost" hooked one of everything, Blue, Striped, Dorado and Sail. But we gave the Captain and hand each a pair of gloves and $50, (but not the NP$ like suggested above.) They asked us to go out the next day, but we didn't have any more cash. We had such a great time in the 4 ft waves all day we gave Alejandro our Silver Bullet Giant Coors Light can cooler. Wonder if he still has that...:rolleyes:

[Edited on 6-18-2004 by rockchalkbajawk]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.