BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  10
Author: Subject: Our First Biosphere Reserve Bracelets in Asuncion!!!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
If you plan on being anywhere in a biosphere reserve in mexico for more than a week, it's better to get the passport for 260 pesos which is good for any reserve in the country for a year...

260 pesos or $20.00 at the current exchange rate for a year pass is so dirt cheap that even I can afford it and I'm the cheapskate riding around on a 18 year old bike. I budget around $50.00/year for FMT and another $20.00 that is used toward local projects will be a small part of my Baja travel budget. I am surprised at this carping about such a small deal, an annual pass for the price of a few margaritas. Get some perspective here!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
Originally posted by shari
If you plan on being anywhere in a biosphere reserve in mexico for more than a week, it's better to get the passport for 260 pesos which is good for any reserve in the country for a year...

260 pesos or $20.00 at the current exchange rate for a year pass is so dirt cheap that even I can afford it and I'm the cheapskate riding around on a 18 year old bike. I budget around $50.00/year for FMT and another $20.00 that is used toward local projects will be a small part of my Baja travel budget. I am surprised at this carping about such a small deal, an annual pass for the price of a few margaritas. Get some perspective here!

Thank you---well stated

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
"Is suporting the local projects to preserve the future such a big deal"

What projects? Like I said, what are the tangible benefits? Or is this just another $5 that creates some useless job for somebody.
Is anyone actually doing anythere to protect and improve the preserve. Or is collecting $5 all there is to it?

It is a choice---no one has to fish or take advantage of any other tourist service in Bahia Asunsion.

LIke anywhere else, if one does not like the policy, they do not have to visit.

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by jdtrotter]

Nice attitude. But you didn't answer the question. Is that because you don't know what this $5 goes to exactly. Does anyone.
If this is just a $5 fee with no tangible benefit to the person paying, just say so.
Don't try to pretend this is some sort of noble cause if it's not.
And $5 wouldn't stop me from visiting B.A. to fish with Juan.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 08:10 PM

Hey Buck-

Maybe they'll use the money for Escalara Nautica:lol::lol:

I just returned from a marine preserve and a city park....and didn't pay a dime...yes, that would be La Jolla Shores.

I'd really like to see the regulations for this "old" tax. Seems if this has been on the book for some time, the Board of Tourism would have it listed on their website under permits and/or eco-tourism.

I'm not uptight but if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, I'm guessing it's a duck. I'm glad some here feel this is a worthy project. Please don't denigrate those of us who don't see it the same way.

As I stated before, there are much more effective and efficient means of raising money for the Biosphere. This one is a bunch of caca!

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Hey Buck-

I just returned from a marine preserve and a city park....and didn't pay a dime...yes, that would be La Jolla Shores.

At first I thought you had a point but then I thought.....

Federal tax, state tax, local tax, sales tax, property tax, vehicle registration fee, parking meters, $100 - $200 tickets for the slightest infractions, etc.

Sure, you didn't pay a dime.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Hey Buck-

Nothing to do with the Preserve. Why don't you speak to the people who work for the Preserve before you say it is a bunch of caca. They would very happy to explain it all to you.

We really do not understand your hostility toward all of this---look up Jamie Morales, the Preserve agent when you are there and listen. NO ONE cares more about the future of the Preserve and the people of Bahia Asuncion than he does, and he would be happy to talk with you.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 08:50 PM

Why do you say I have hostility towards this? I did say I would like to see the written regulations so I better understand them. I find it odd that money can be collected yet there are no written regulations.

I have seen too many times money collected that vanishes into thin air. All I am asking for is some explanation and accountability.

Why not apply an additional property tax for residents? Why not add a tax for hotel rooms as you mention San Diego does?

And why is it so wrong for a person to ask questions regarding this "old" policy?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
Hey Buck-

At first I thought you had a point but then I thought.....

Federal tax, state tax, local tax, sales tax, property tax, vehicle registration fee, parking meters, $100 - $200 tickets for the slightest infractions, etc.

Sure, you didn't pay a dime.

Why not charge a $5 fee for all the tourists that use the beach instead? San Diego would be cash flush and the beaches wouldn't be as crowded.

amirravon
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 01:36 AM

Is that real or fake? sound like a script from The Jerry Springer Show,
BTW Well done apologize fishbuck

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by amirravon]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 02:33 AM

No, it's not Springer, it's real.
But I would like to repeat. $5 more would not stop me from fishing with Jaun.
It costs me about $200 in fuel and 24 hours of driving to fish with Juan. $5 more? You're kidding right? I won't even notice it.
And if I had to pay $5 more to go whale watching with Shari at the lagoon, ofcourse I'm paying it.
Juan and Shari do more to share the beauty of B.A. and the whales than anyone I know.
And not just the natural beauty of the sea either.
Last time I was there Shari took me to an QUENCINETERA or something like that.
A beautiful girl had her 15th birthday at the town... party place... like a outdoor basketball court with a stage. They set up tables and have a dance floor.
Anyway, this beautiful young lady was dressed and treated like a princess. It was a big party. Free beer!!!
So, Shari showed me something about Baja I had never seen. And she danced with me too.
Man, there was some really good dancers there too. Guapo hombres in cowboy hats and bonita damas in fine dresses.
But then I saw a few guys doing the "Tecate Two-Step". Drinking beer while dancing? I can do that!!! Just shuffling and drinking beer. Paradise!
But Shari, man she can really dance. And Serena, wow what a classy lady. Watching her dance was beautiful. So graceful!
So kiddies, the moral of the story is that it's worth the extra $5 to hang with Juan and Shari! Todos es bien!
Almost everyone in B.A. is really cool and fun to be with.
Almost everyone. ;)

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 06:00 AM

Quote:
While we would prefer that ugly American trash stays out of Baja, (even TJ)...........

John

Hey!

"Even TJ?"

What's that suppose to mean?

It's a lovely place:tumble:

I tell ya, I get no respect.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
While we would prefer that ugly American trash stays out of Baja, (even TJ)...........

John

Hey!

"Even TJ?"

What's that suppose to mean?

It's a lovely place:tumble:

I tell ya, I get no respect.

Opps---you are correct, it is a lovely place---should have referred to just certain areas in TJ that are not so nice. Sorry.

Anyway, since our personal opinions of fishbuck have really nothing to do with the Preserve fees, we are going back and removing those posts. For the purpose of this thread, they were out of line. What fishbuck does, is up to him.

Regarding the fees, however, it seems that no one has ever complained about the 46 peso bracelet when they have gone whale watching, or taken a tour to the cave paintings, or joined the Baja Ha Ha----probably because they were just included in the price.

We cannot imagine that a small increase in the price of enjoying a day of fishing or touring is going to hurt Shari and Juan's business or any other tourist business in the area. Well, actually, there are people who in the past have just taken people out fishing with NO licenses and they will lose money, but the business should go to the people who have jumped through all the hoops.

Just two examples of the use of the funds. In BA when the delagado organized the trash clean up committee, the Preserve stepped in and paid the people a small amount, helped take the trash to the dump, and paid for the municipal trash people to take the extra trash to the dump.

If it was not for the Preserve, there would be no more pronghorn in BCS.

Many of the taxes in Baja go to Mexico City and are not used to benefit the local area, but this is different, the money stays local. We care a lot about that area and just really do not understand why anyone has a problem with paying the Park fees in Baja and not in the US or Canada.

Again, this was not the place to express our personal opinions about fishbuck, so to others, we apologize.

John and Diane

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 08:00 AM

summertime, and the living's easy........

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 08:26 AM

It sure is strange to see someone else getting jumped on for asking a question or pointing out something obvious...:rolleyes:

Anyway, it is not a complaint about the fee, it is the LOGIC of adding a NEW expense to an already hurting tourist economy that I was wondering about way up in this thread.

When business is down, LOWERING the price encourages MORE business.

In weird ******* government newthink, they RAISE the prices (to make up for lost income)!:rolleyes: Which punishes the few who can afford the costs of a vacation and makes them LESS likely to return or recommend the place.

I would think wise local authorities would consider that the time to add a NEW fee to use the PUBLIC land is when tourism is up, and there are lots of visitors and not to hit on the few that can get out there now. Or, as Fishbuck mentioned... charge the people who actually caused the enviromental damage and not soak strangers for the mistakes of others.

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by BajaNomad]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 08:40 AM

Thank you Shari for the information about the fees and the research.. Sadly sone knee jerk political pundits in Norte Californians seem to want to make a complaint about the USER Fees (exGovernator..Ronald Reagan loved to demand user fees) ...but I expect that they will all dry up as they find that they are soon charged daily use fees for most state and municipal parks in California USA...thanks to the bankruptcy of the state. Then perhaps they will spend their time worrying about where the money from the fees they pay here are used and stop whining about the Biosphere Reserve use fees.

The fees are minimal to me and I am not upset to pay for helping out .

Thanks again Shari. The wind will blow away the whiners.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 08:47 AM

Geo_Skip, please read carefully: "Anyway, it is not a complaint about the fee, it is the LOGIC of adding a NEW expense to an already hurting tourist economy that I was wondering about way up in this thread.
When business is down, LOWERING the price encourages MORE business."

Is the fee more important to you than the people of Asuncion having more income from MORE tourists? With no income, NOTHING can be done to help whatever it is that needs help.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Geo_Skip
Thank you Shari for the information about the fees and the research.. Sadly sone knee jerk political pundits in Norte Californians seem to want to make a complaint about the USER Fees (exGovernator..Ronald Reagan loved to demand user fees) ...but I expect that they will all dry up as they find that they are soon charged daily use fees for most state and municipal parks in California USA...thanks to the bankruptcy of the state. Then perhaps they will spend their time worrying about where the money from the fees they pay here are used and stop whining about the Biosphere Reserve use fees.

The fees are minimal to me and I am not upset to pay for helping out .

Thanks again Shari. The wind will blow away the whiners.

I also believe that once people get used to it, they will quit complaining. Many years ago, we went whale watching in one of the lagoons---just drove up and directly paid the man with the panga---that has all changed, and no one complains about the 46 peso part of the fee that is for the Preserve. And I don't believe one person has dropped out of the Baja Ha Ha over the user fee---just part of the package.

I think that if people just include it in their prices, no big deal---and thank you for the term USER FEE, because that is what it is. A user fee to benefit the Preserve.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 09:00 AM

Hey Skippy-

Once again, I am not complaining about the fees and I don't think DK is but I'll let him speak for himself.

My contention is with who pays the bracelets and for what activities. Does the family visiting from Santa Rosalia need to purchase bracelets for their kids who decide to go surfing? What about the mountain bike team from Jesus Y Maria? Are they required to pay the fee? What if a resident Canadian has friends visiting and they decide to go snorkeling. Do they need to pay?

From what I understand, based on the limited information provided, is that this fee is applied arbitrarily and that is my main contention. Why not just set up a toll booth at the Vizcaino turn-off and charge a fee there? Seems like an easier solution to me.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy Does the family visiting from Santa Rosalia need to purchase bracelets for their kids who decide to go surfing?

Why not just set up a toll booth at the Vizcaino turn-off and charge a fee there? Seems like an easier solution to me.

Santa Rosalia is a part of the reserve---look at the map of the area it covers. It is huge.

The fee is already charged for other tourist industries in the Preserve---whale watching, cave painting tours, etc. Now other tourist industries are being required to participate.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 09:25 AM

Is hiking or walking a tourist industry? Surfing? Swimming? Playing fetch with a dog on the beach?

Can someone just please point to the printed regulations? I'm not going to put my head in the sand just because someone on Baja Nomad says something one way or another.

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.