BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10
Author: Subject: Our First Biosphere Reserve Bracelets in Asuncion!!!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 09:40 AM

Yeah - I understand that the Vizcaino fee collection thing is evolving, and it appears they're spending some of the money on beach cleanups. But don't they have a "big picture" plan? If they spend all the money they get on beach cleanups - village after village - how will they be able to save enough for the real problem - trash collection and disposal, and maintaining a modern dump and recycle operation - maybe even charging every household a monthly fee for trash collection and disposal (gee- what a concept); trash cans on the beach, brochures to every household and posters in the schools about the effects of trash in the ocean and on the beach. In my own neighborhood, we have canyon cleanups every month - has been going on for years.
The source of the problem is not addressed: the local citizens are the offenders; the tourist is the one who will slap a bandaid on it?
This just makes no sense.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 03:35 PM

Well, maybe after you all pay $5 to have the Biosphere cleaned up then it will be worth a visit.
So, how long is it going to take Jamie to clean up all the trash in the Biosphere? A week? A month? A year? Never?
And shouldn't the Mexican government being picking up trash and making dump sites etc...?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 04:20 PM

the biosphere reserve IS the mexican government.

Juan has a good suggestion that perhaps Jaime should join this board and explain about the new system and answer some of the legitimate questions himself...juan said he will ask him if it is OK to post his email address too in case someone wants to ask him privately.

it would be helpful to send your comments and concerns directly to the Reserve office too. I understand as of today, they have a new director Biól. Mario Alberto Rodríguez Rodríguez and the Reserve email is
vizcaino@conanp.gob.mx and mrrodrig@conanp.gob.mx

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 04:27 PM

"the biosphere reserve IS the mexican government."

Shouldn't they be using their own money to clean up the Biophere?
But as I posted earlier a "Biosphere Reserve" is a designation granted to an area by Unesco (United Nation).
There are 533 "Biosphere Reserves" approved by the UN all over the world.

[Edited on 6-29-2009 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 04:36 PM

A biosphere reserve is an international conservation designation given by UNESCO under its Programme on Man and the Biosphere (MAB). The World Network of Biosphere Reserves is the collection of all 533 biosphere reserves in 107 countries (as of May, 2009).[1]

According to “The Statutory Framework of the World Network of Biosphere Reserves,” biosphere reserves are created “to promote and demonstrate a balanced relationship between humans and the biosphere.” Under article 4, biosphere reserves must “encompass a mosaic of ecological systems,” and thus consist of combinations of terrestrial, coastal, or marine ecosystems.
Through appropriate zoning and management, the conservation of these ecosystems and their biodiversity is sought to be maintained.

I didn't see anything about charging visitors for local social programs and paying locals to pick up their own trash.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 04:49 PM

Hey Bucky-

It's not about what they do with the money or the money at all. I just want to know who needs to pay and for what activities? Seems like anyone including those that live in the Biosphere should contribute. But my opinion really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. Ni modo.

It would be great if Jaime came aboard Baja Nomad. I think he would be a great asset myself and he could clarify things a bit.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 04:58 PM

http://www.rmrs.nau.edu/USAMAB/MAB_web_documents/statframe.h...

This explains what a "Biosphere Reserve" is suppose to be.

I'm guessing that Mexico had to submit a management plan that was approved by the UN.
Also, the designation must be reviewed for renewal every ten years. And there is a possibility of "delisting".
So, if someone is really good at research they should be able to find Mexico's Unesco approved management plan for the Vizcaino Biosphere Reserve somewhere. I'm sure it is a public document.

[Edited on 6-29-2009 by fishbuck]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 05:07 PM

UNESCO Office in Mexico

National Office to Mexico in the Central America Cluster.

Director: Mrs Katherine Grigsby

Administrative Officer a.i.: Mr Grégory Perotin

Documentation Centre: http://portal.unesco.org

http://www.unescomexico.org/
E-mail address: mexico@unesco.org
Work Phone: (00) (52) (55) 36011650
Fax: (00) (52) (55) 52806214
Address
Pte Masaryk n.° 526, 3er piso, Colonia Polanco Mexico City
Mexico

[Edited on 6-30-2009 by fishbuck]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 05:34 PM

I think it would be a great idea on the surface for Jaime to answer questions directly on the board but a real bad idea in reality. How long would it take for the "bloodletting" to begin. Jaime probably doesn't have the same command of the English language that those who would criticize him and all that he works for and he may not understand why he would be insulted for the work he is trying to do. He probably doesn't understand that in our culture it's OK to be rude and offensive to those who are just trying to do their job to the best of their abilities.

Shari, I think it would be in every one's best interest to bring Jaime up to speed about what to expect from some of our Nomad brethren before he makes himself available to be the object of ridicule in a public forum.

It really sucks for all of us that a few bad apples spoil things for the rest of us.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 05:41 PM

while I understand the frustration of some of these posts regarding the fees, from where I personally stand I must comply or they shut me down. Howrver I do see these things as an opportunity to make some much needed changes and that is what I intend to do. It will take time and I am thinking along the lines of the century bike tours I used to make way back when. In the beginning of the ride I had to take it easy and get my mind into a trance of some sort to keep me going for the 100 miles, during the middle of the tour the riders along with me, we'd would encourage each other to continue and it sure helped, then at the end we all seemed to get back into the trance and use only the amount of energy necessary to complete the tour. No weaving unnecessarily from the track no more pedaling more than will get me over that line, its a long haul. That's the same kind of thing that I have to prepare myself for and at the same time offer serious morale and encouragement. I'll do my damndest. most here are familiar with Mexico's hurdles or at least in part so bear with us because we need to get past these to make these changes it is a lot of work.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 06:02 PM

It is not the paying of a permit that is the problem... It is a problem if the money is for the pockets of bureaucrats... or whoever is collecting the fee.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 06:41 PM

I think we all understand that the different vendors must comply or be shut down.
And that this thread was really sort of a celebration announcement that Jaun and Shari have all the required permits etc. to run their business.
Obviously that is a good thing.
But if you can't see the injustice of charging visitors to a United Nations designated "Biosphere Reserve" to pick up trash then you are really missing something.
As I was saying earlier. When I fish in B.A. it costs me about $500-$1000. And I believe I pay about 10% tax on everything. So that's $$50-100 tax money already. And now you want another $5 for your phony Biosphere to pick up trash?
To support Shari and and maybe Pam''s business's I will be happy to pay the $5.
But this Biosphere is totally fake and just an excuse to charge visitors another $5. You get exactly zero for your $5.
That's what all the fuss is about.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It is not the paying of a permit that is the problem... It is a problem if the money is for the pockets of bureaucrats... or whoever is collecting the fee.

i think the problem is that most gringos expect everything in mexico to be free or pennies on the dollar relative to US prices. they want their vacation or retirement financed by low wages, low standard of living and low/no government fees.
quit bellyaching about how other country chooses to spend its collected fees and get out there and enjoy the designated protected areas. if you don't like the daily fee, then buy a passport. i think places like SI lagoon, Viscaino and SPM are great, and i don't mind spending approx $26/year for a passport. i think it's a bargain.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 07:32 PM

Thought it would be a very long time before I would agree with the goat on anything much but he's right and Joe Buck is just a cheap suit in the guise of a newly informed Cabo Wabo Ron. Fish, keep telling us how much you pay and how wrong it is and how willing you are to do it anyway and then send us some international bable. Fish, stay high above it all. Real high. You don't belong down here.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2009 at 08:54 PM

Sure birdbrain whatever you say.:cool:

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2009 at 08:30 AM

Send your questions and concerns directly to:

E-mail address: mexico@unesco.org
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2009 at 11:09 AM

I, too, find myself agreeing with the Goat. $26 per year admittance to all Mexican biosphere regions. I pay way more than that each year in US National and State Park fees, as well as use fees for private areas. Never once have I put up a fuss about how those fees are used. Yep, I'm sure it's all accounted for.... and likely it includes payments for services I might disagree with.

Far as trash pick-up.... our park fees include trash pick up no matter if it's local or tourist trash. Trash seems to be a part of the human condition. Some litter, some pick up. I always carry a bag and collect trash as I walk natural areas.:saint:

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2009 at 09:59 PM

Hey I don't agree at all with mtn goat or anyone else on this thread who compares fees charged by US Nat'l Parks and State Parks with this UN Biosphere Reserve Fee. Firstly, towns and villages don't exist in US Nat'l Parks and State Parks do they? I haven't seen any lately. And please don't compare the village in Yosemite...those are mostly park employees. Secondly, the UN should be abolished and kicked out of the US...alot of us don't recognize them as representing anything of value. Thirdly, anytime a govt. entity starts charging a fee they always start nominal and then eventually increase that fee. It may be $5 now but what will it be in 5 yrs? $10, $20 ? And these type of fees have a ratcheting effect... they only go in one direction...up and never down. This puts added pressure on local businesses who have to control costs in order to earn a profit. OK so a year pass is $26 to all Biosphere Reserves? It only pays if you are in the BRs more than 5 days per year. If I go to Ascension for a week...$20 for visa for 6 mo., $40 for fishing lic., $250/yr veh. ins., $10-25/day camping fee, $12/yr passport fee, $25 toll fees, now add $26 for BRs pass. I know I'm forgetting some fees in here. Now who gets burned in this fee scheme? the small business owner in Ascension who is at the end of the line. You see...all you retired school teachers and active school teachers on this board who don't understand how the private sector works seem to miss this whole point. These gov't fees screw the small business owner!
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
I, too, find myself agreeing with the Goat. $26 per year admittance to all Mexican biosphere regions. I pay way more than that each year in US National and State Park fees, as well as use fees for private areas. Never once have I put up a fuss about how those fees are used. Yep, I'm sure it's all accounted for.... and likely it includes payments for services I might disagree with.

Far as trash pick-up.... our park fees include trash pick up no matter if it's local or tourist trash. Trash seems to be a part of the human condition. Some litter, some pick up. I always carry a bag and collect trash as I walk natural areas.:saint:

nena

Since writing this I have reread the thread, talked about it with friends, and after some thought I have to say I was wrong. The situation is not comparable to our parks or land use fees. Perhaps if everyone - locals and visitors - had to pay the fee...

As I read the posts, it seems that the fee has been in place for whale watch trips and paid trips in the Loreto Marine Sanctuary. That doesn't seem the same as what's being suggested for Asuncion.... trash pick up and some yet-to-be-defined activities helpful to the land. The program does of course aspire to more... but as many have asked, what's the plan for working that out.

I'd like to have more specific information and look forward to learning more about this project. But right now I'm inclined to agree with those who feel this is or may be an unjustified tax on the tourist. The fact that it's "only" $26 per year should not make any difference.

My humble apologies to all those offended by my prior stance.

Oh yeah.... for sure kudos to shari and Juan for gathering the needed paperwork to be taking Nomads fishing once again.

nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2009 at 11:39 PM

I have stayed away from this thread because I really just cannot believe the attitudes of so many. Just a few final comments, and then I will leave this thread.

It really grew into a Mexican and Mexico bashing thread.

1. Just because it is a part of a Biosphere, the Reserve has the right to charge fees just as they do in Biospheres in the US, and in Central America.

2. It is the call of the Mexicans and THEIR government, not a bunch of tourists or alien residents.

3. Mexicans who live on the Reserve can create projects and request funding by submitting plans to the Reserve.

4. What all those projects are, is NOT our business, it is theirs. Try working with them, not against them. Places like the LA Zoo are working with the Reserve on the Pronghorn reserve.

5. Not charging locals, or charging locals a WAY lower fee is common in other parts of Mexico and in Central America---have been in Biosphere Parks in Costa Rica---locals pay a tiny fraction of the fee---same at places like Copan in Honduras.

6. Have been in states in the US where the locals are charged far less for the use of the state parks than are the tourists.

7. Yes, it is not clear when and who else will be charged in the future--- but it is up to them, the Mexican Government and the Reserve to figure that out.

8. While I am really happy Shari and Juan have all their required permits before the start of the best fishing season, and I know jumping all the hoops for all the permits, not just the Preserve permits, is expensive, time consuming, and difficult to pin down, the other fishing/tour guides in town have also needed to jump through the same hoops. It is a part of the changing Baja. And as both Shari and I wrote, the ones more apt to be hurt are the ones for have for years casually taken out people to fish---no licenses, no permits of ANY kind. That was a part of old Baja many loved.

It may sound like I am totally defending the Reserve and all of its policies, and that is not the point. It would be easier in my mind if everything was set in stone, but how often in Mexico are rules, regs, and sometimes laws set in stone? I could think a lots of ways I would like to see done differently. But.......

This thread is the PERFECT example and represents EXTREMELY well the attitude that somehow Baja is and should remain the big play ground for gringos to use as they see fit with no interference. If something is not defined in gringo terms, and does not suit what they think is proper, then it is wrong.

Bottom line, is it is Mexican and Mexico bashing---plain and simple. We can all lament the passing of the Old Baja, but then it becomes a choice---visit and play by their changes and rules, or stay north of the border.

Diane

BTW---I don't like a lot of the changes either.

[Edited on 7-2-2009 by jdtrotter]

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.