Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Thinking of climbing Picacho del Diablo
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 09:52 AM
Thinking of climbing Picacho del Diablo

This is something I have wanted to do for a long time and a window is opening for me in mid August. I have some information about the hike/climb, but it is not really current. Are there any current books, or chapters in books that have good information? Does any Nomad have any first hand knowledge? I am aware that August is not the ideal time to go and if the general consensus is "wait until Spring" prevails, I will wait, but since I have the opportunity, so far, I am going for it. There will be three, and maybe five in our group. I am allowing three days, two up and one down. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 09:56 AM

You bet, use the Nomad search at the top of the page... bajaandy climbed it a couple years ago and Desert Rat got most of the way up...

2007: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24221

2005: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=17017

[Edited on 7-11-2009 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja12valve
This is something I have wanted to do for a long time and a window is opening for me in mid August. I have some information about the hike/climb, but it is not really current. Are there any current books, or chapters in books that have good information? Does any Nomad have any first hand knowledge? I am aware that August is not the ideal time to go and if the general consensus is "wait until Spring" prevails, I will wait, but since I have the opportunity, so far, I am going for it. There will be three, and maybe five in our group. I am allowing three days, two up and one down. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

August is OK time, but almost daily T-storms in late summer may keep you off the peak. There are a couple climbers logs on internet that have good route descriptions -- use Google (I can't remember links). Buy Jerry Schad's map for route finding.

Be prepared to not accomplish climb on first attempt; route finding is very difficult, and trip is long. But is easy second time.

It's a great hike and climb -- but lots of vertical gain/loss, so get in shape.

[Edited on 7-11-2009 by mtgoat666]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 10:13 AM

This link is one I have on my web site links page, it has the map MtGoat mentions: http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/devil.htm

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 11:44 AM

Great responses, thanks. I will be looking up the information. From experience I never think I can make any summit attempt.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 12:01 PM

I've climbed Blue Bottle, not Diablo but seen it up close. There are three routes...two really as the ridge route is very difficult. Canyon route from the east or Blue Bottle ridge down canyon and up. It's my understanding that from the canyon base at campo noche climbing routes are well described and ducked.

There's a thread here from someone who made the attempt using the canyon route.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Rat
Baja 12 valve,
It would be a good idea to check with someone with authority at the San Pedro Martir Parque if you plan to climb Picacho from the western approach. It appears that there is a new regulation that requires you to have a certified guide with you if you make the attempt as a registered park visitor. Just a suggestion.

where did you hear this?

doubt it would be possible to find sufficient local guides with stamina to keep up with typical climbers, as this is a hike/climb mostly done by experienced fit climbers that travel fast.
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 08:40 AM

I am still following this. Not having been to the Martir Parque, is there some sort of visitors center, manned headquarters or other that would have this guide information? When we get there, if there is nothing apparent, I won't look around much. Seems like I would just be stirring up a major hassle. I am skeptical of "hiring a guide" for three days. I would far rather explore and not make it than be bound to some guide. I have a lot experience in the mountains.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 09:08 AM

See Desert Rat's post on another thread.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=17017&pag...

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 10:52 AM

Bajalou, thanks for the link, good reading. I will have to look at the guide situation, seems like it is real.
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 03:00 PM

Thanks mtgoat666 for posting a updated encounter with the rangers and attempt to do the climb . Sorry you were surprised the guide requirement and stopped by the ranger. That is one of the things I was afraid of, you are required to have a guide, but none are provided and you are on your own to get one, somewhere.
Next question, is there ANY way to get in touch with the rangers or a official that would be of a help? I may go the eastern route if all else fails.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja12valve
Thanks mtgoat666 for posting a updated encounter with the rangers and attempt to do the climb . Sorry you were surprised the guide requirement and stopped by the ranger. That is one of the things I was afraid of, you are required to have a guide, but none are provided and you are on your own to get one, somewhere.
Next question, is there ANY way to get in touch with the rangers or a official that would be of a help? I may go the eastern route if all else fails.

don't thank me, t'was not me that wrote it.

haven't been there this year, yet. prior times i told gate keeper i was going to picacho, he asked me if i knew what i was getting into, suggested i consider something easier or seek guidance. i think their normal response to picacho climbers is to scare them away, because it's a tough climb (not tough technically, but tough due to route finding, elev gain/loss, distance, remoteness, weather exposure), and is probably a pain in the *ss for them to stage rescues.

anywho, i too have got the third degree at the gate, and learned to be coy with my answers. it's always good to tell park staff where you are headed, as you never know when you may get in trouble and need help, so i don't advocate lying to gate keeper. it is really remote, and if you break your leg, someone may not be along for a week or two or three

for park contact info, you probably can call the main park office which is ensenada (sorry, don't have number).
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 07:48 PM

Baja12valve,

I am glad to hear that you want to attempt Diablo. It is in my book one very rewarding climb. You really have to work to get that peak, and it when you do, it's SO worth it. Took me two attempts due to poor route finding the first time.

I am saddened to hear that the Parque is attempting to enforce a guide requirement, as I don't believe it's really necessary. Perhaps a method to appease them would be to have on hand a certificate of some kind that you have had proper mountaineering education. Or maybe you are a "certified" mountain guide yourself? (Wink wink, nod nod.)

Here is the link to my TR
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24301#pid2234...

And here is a link to the same report, with pictures, posted on SummitPost.org
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/290534/Picacho-del-Dia...

I'm not sure about your timing though... I think it may be a tad on the warm side to climb in August. And mtgoat already warned you about the T-storms. I honestly don't know if there will be water in the creek in August. I suspect so, but I'd hate to get down in there and then find out it's dried up.

As others have noted, this particular climb does indeed tax both your physical stamina as well as your route finding skills. I tried to be fairly detailed in my trip report, but if you want I'd be happy to send you my phone number and talk to you about it.

Hit me up if you want any other info or have questions.

Cheers,

Andy

[Edited on 7-15-2009 by bajaandy]

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 08:03 PM

And here is a link to the failed attempt the previous year. Read carefully where we went wrong and try to avoid doing the same thing.

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/246596/Thrashing-on-Di...

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 08:07 PM

And here are some photos, some showing the route.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24221#pid2229...

JBL Noel
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 09:15 PM

bajaandy, and to all the others, thanks for all the information, it has been a real help and has provided me with a lot of direction. I will have to try to contact a Park Ranger or somebody to figure out the guide issue. Who knows, maybe I can talk them into letting me go, I have been a member of Search and Rescue for many years. I can see that conditioning is very important, this type of hiking/climbing is very tiring and it is very easy to make a mistake, and it only takes one. At this point from what I have learned, August may come too soon, I just may not have enough time to get all my ducks (pun intended) in line. In a few days I will be spending a week+ on the JMT, hopefully to summit Whitney from the backside. Diablo is something that can't be rushed or I will pay the consequences.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2009 at 09:51 PM

After driving hundreds or thousands of miles, and knowing there are NO GUIDES available at San Pedro Martir to hire... the rangers sound like they don't want to be bothered with a rescue operation... which they shouldn't feel obligated to perform.

Climbing any mountain is done so at your own risk... Go with many others to play it safe... Have a satellite phone if you need to be rescued (from someone other than the rangers).

Desert Rat, I am sorry your dream was stolen from you by that ranger... You could always say... "Oh is THAT Diablo Mountain... ?!!"

See Desert Rat in 1994 walking from San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay, after reading Graham Mackintosh's first book: http://vivabaja.com/desert_rat

[Edited on 7-15-2009 by David K]

bajaandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 07:00 AM

Baja12valve... If you're SAR, I would think that would be your ticket right there. I'd at least fight for it if they said differently. Enjoy the JMT. That was on my list for this year, but a ruptured Achilles tendon changed those plans. Whitney from the back side via Guitar lake is cool, but not carrying your pack up to trail crest. Ugh...

JBL Noel
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 01:56 PM

bajaandy........ I never like playing my SAR card, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Sorry about your ruptured Achilles tendon, my brother did the same, but he is fully recovered. Hope you do too. Yeah, the JMT should be fun, I never said it would be easy. For bettor or worse, I know the drill, I have been to the top three times so far but by no means that is a guarantee for a successful trip this time. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
fernando
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2009 at 08:34 PM

Hi I have a guide that has done Picacho several times if you want i can arrange something so he could be your guide.

Fernando

Baja Outfitters & Adventures
www.baja-outfitters.com
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.