BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: weird but sincere and appreciative ??
parkersmith

[*] posted on 6-20-2004 at 04:48 AM
weird but sincere and appreciative ??

Everone seems to help everyone on this board so here goes.I am a 43 year old talk show host/disc jockey in Chattanooga,tennessee who just got married to a girl that is mexiacan after we dated for three years.Her name is Angelia,and is 33 lovely and very compassionate.We love each other,and our families HATED us getting married though we are both very devout catholic.We both worked very hard and saved money to go round trip to San Diego on June 26th and then go to Baja Norte,returning July 3rd.Should we rent a car in Tijuana and get the insurance there,and where after we cross the boarder should we rent a volkswagen or cheap car?Angelia wants to lie in the sun and have some Nightlife,and we are not big on tourist places.Do you all know of some places that a lot of tourists have yet to find that have good beaches,and food and drink?We don't mind traveling some,but we have had it emotionally hard since our wedding from our families two weeks ago,and we cannot wait to leave and et away.We want to do what honeymooners do....
Hotel recommendations,resaraunts,
bars?I would also like to interview on the air what the baja is like because my listeners think I have lost my mind just renting a car and taking off.
Call me collect or write me at:
parkerfromtn@webtv.net (REMEMBER,IT"S DOT NET,NOT DOT COM)
Home phone 423-877-3714
or post here.
Thank you and God bless you.We deserve to be away from this stress and have fun and enjoy one another.
I love the heart of the mexican people.
Parker Smith
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2004 at 07:49 AM

Congratulations on your union! You both are grown ups, so don't let families harass you!

I can't think of a place that has 'nightlife' but not touristy nor has not been 'discovered' that you can get to in a rental car. Rosarito, Ensenada, and San Felipe in Baja Norte would be choices that are both. South of Rosarito is the Pyramid Resort (Plaza del Mar) which is away from the city and near the famous La Fonda restaurant. Just south of Ensenada at Punta Banda are some nice places, too.

I am mostly a camping person so hopefully a more qualified Nomad can help you further.

Bahia de los Angeles is beautiful and the new hotel Los Vientos (a few miles north of town) is reported open... No 'nightlife', however.

Remember it is hot on the gulf side, and gloomy (overcast) on the Pacific side this time of year.

Baja is more of an experience where you and the land have a relationship... One week will only wet your appitite. BE WARNED: If you catch Baja Fever, you will want to relocate to Southern California, to be near your new mistress, Baja California!

Rent the car, and GO! Perhaps don't stay the whole time in one place. IF you are up to it, make a dash for Baja Sur, see San Ignacio and stay at Ignacio Springs Bed & Breakfast. Then check out Mulege.. known as Baja's Hawaii! A few miles south of Mulege is Bahia Concepcion... SEE IT! That's about as far as you want to go with only a week off. Do you have a good map? The AAA Baja map can be ordered from DiscoverBaja.com or MapWorld.com and is most helpfull, the AAA guidebook is also very good. Have a wonderful time!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 6-20-2004 at 08:56 AM

Some car rental places will not rent to you if you cross the border...So, ask about their policy. Definately get insurance BEFORE you cross, if you are in an accident and don't have it, you will probably go to jail. You can get the insurance at most gas stations near the border cities. probably around $100 for the week.
If your wife wants to lie in the sun, and have a nightlife, I would recommend San Felipe. Not my kind of place since I like to camp. Should be over 100 degrees in the day with 80-85 degree water temps. It is "tourtisty" but you cannot have a non-tourist place, and have a nightlife....
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2004 at 09:27 AM
Priorities

Good advice from all the above so here's what I recommend. 1. How much driving do you want to do? Driving down Baja is an incredible experience in itself. Gorgeous views, cactus fields, very different! If you don't mind driving for 14-16 hours from the border each way, I would recommend Mulege as you will get some nightlife in town or at Hotel Serenidad and have the beaches of Concepcion Bay to enjoy. Some of the best in Baja for tanning, swimming, snorkeling. One of the prettiest places as well. It will be hot at this time of year.
If you don't want to spend that much time driving, San Quintin is pretty popular. 3 - 4 hours from the border. There is some night life but pretty much just tourists and fishermen. There is great shelling, clamming, and seafood galore. As David said, this time of the year can be foggy most all the time but, today in Rosarito, it is not. Perhaps sunny days are coinciding with summer this year.
San Felipe is fairly close to the border and it can be fun. Beautiful beaches to the south and really good snorkeling at Puertecitos Hot Springs. There are people on here that live there full time so they can fill you in if this sounds interesting. If you don't mind the heat and want nightlife and sun, San Felipe would probably be the place.
Sorry about the parent thing. It is your life and you made the right decision. You two will be very happy together. Especially after a trip to Baja! Buena suerte.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

biggrin.gif posted on 6-20-2004 at 05:08 PM
Ensenada, on the Pacific coast, 2 hours south

The drive is easy on a clean, safe highway maintained in a manner up to U.S. standards. You won't need to get visas for a weekend stay.

The city of Ensenada is a "real" city, in the sense it came into existence to provide homes and services to Baja Mexicanos living and working there in the agriculture and shipping industries (it's Baja largest commercial shipping port), not to service American tourists (note to aficionados, this is not a diss of San Felipe, TJ or Rosarito, but they are, in many ways, creations of their relathionships with the U.S.)

Ensenada is the gateway city to the agricultural and ranching community of northern Baja, and its wine country is a short, twenty minute drive away in the inland, the Guadalupe Valley.

Hotels - Hotel Coral y Marina or Punta Morra. Both are outside of the city, a few miles north. Coral is a high rise, European class, full service hotel. Beautifully landscapes grounds, pools and a small boat marina. Punta Morra is a half mile from Coral, on an expanisve proerty, two-story, mostly suites, also with beautifully landscaped grounds and a spectacular, cliff hanging restaurant where the waves crash up to the full l length windows. Last time we were there, the food was excellent and I haven't heard any complaints from friends who have visited more recently.

Both have websites and U.S. 800 reservation numbers, do an internet search on their names.

The Estero Beach resort south of Ensenada has been mentioned many times as a great place, I don't have any personal knowledge of it except for having driven on the property a couple of times and it, as well, looks very attractive.

Things to do: Ensenada has many cruise ships docking there. This is good, because the gringo zone (the first two blocks up from the waterfront) have terrific shopping, a Baja Rodeo Drive, if you will. This is also bad, an excess of .
American attitudes and expectations.

Ask your hotel staff for "non-touristy" recommendations. They will be eager to provide information and directions.
Things to do: Punta Banda (La Bufadora), a beautiful, one hour drive to the southern tip of the bay in which the city sits. This is the site of the third (?) largest natural blowholes in the world (the other two are in Hawaii and ?). This is a major Mexican native destination spot. In summer, families load up in the car, drive to the parking at the entrance, wander the half mile arcade of shops, churro vendors, snack stands and wandering entertainers to arrive at...the end! A large building with clean restrooms with attendants, a cactus botanical garden and...the blowhole. It is Mexican street theater at its best.

Things to do, #2. The Guadalupe Valley. Wineries, olive groves and good restaurants (also B&B's). The padres planted vinyards in the Ensenada area before they trekked up to Alta California. There are many places to visit and explore. As I said above, your hotel staff will do their very best to help you out.

Good luck to you, I wish you a memorable time and a dusting of Baja magic!

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2004 at 06:45 PM
Go to Mulege

The drive down will be an adventure you will remember forever. Good mix of restraunts and stuff combined with the beaches of Conception to the south. The only problem is that it will be hot, very hot!

You can rent a car from AVIS and take it across the border. Just let them know your plans. You can get insurance and everything through them.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 6-20-2004 at 09:20 PM
Pyramid Resort

If you would like to have a beautiful spot to spend your honeymoon right on the ocean and close to some night life ,But NOT TO CLOSE Check out www.pyramidresort.com. It's a great place to relax and enjoy each each other. k:spingrin::bounce::tumble:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 6-20-2004 at 10:12 PM
And I must say

if that's what you want to do, I couldn't think of a better place than Keri's. It is about as romantic as you can get!!:spingrin::light::P
parkersmith

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 12:07 AM
great...thank you so much

You guys are wonderful.Just to have this much understanding and positive comments about my trip and about my marriage is ovewhelming.I wish I could do something for all of you...and I mean that.Let me just say that when people call my radio show and insist on saying that "strangers are so mean these days,,,blah,blah,blah," I'll
remember this board and explain it,because not only did you give great tips in my yravel next week,but also encouraged me and my fiancee' in life,which I had to tell her.You all have to remember I am in the South (Tennessee) so when I announced on air that I was marrying a mexican girl,my audience turned on me.It was nice to hear such positive words about our decision.She stands by me like no other,and I by her.
Many thanks guys.......
Parker Smith
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 12:42 AM

Parker, you are among friends (amigos)! If you want to visit Baja all the way from Tennesee, that says something special about you. You have adventure in your heart and we respect that. Even here in San Diego County, I get the "what about banditos and federales?" nonesense. I just laugh... oh yah, and that's why I keep going back there since I got my drivers license in 1973! I just love being robbed and arrested... NOT!

The people on this Baja forum are almost all wonderful... I meet more all the time and when we decide to do a group camp ( http://vivabaja.com/204 ) or get-together here ( http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja4 ) it is great. There's something special about Baja people. I would trust them with my children (and have, right GeoRock?).

Anyway, I guess in retrospect you didn't need to tell your audiance about your personal life because it doesn't matter if she is Latino or Dutch... she's the woman you love!

I want you both to just have the damndist best time! You will have to decide if you just want an easy vacation (Keri's Pyramid Resort) or see Baja (drive to Bahia de los Angeles, San Ignacio, Mulege, and Bahia Concepcion). One of the best web sites for details on every Baja destination is Carlos Fiesta's Baja Expo http://bajaexpo.com

David

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 02:34 AM

Parker: Please do not let anyone influence your realionship with your new Bride. Your Union is between your wife,You and your God.!

If you decide to travel other places in Baja ,i would suggest a Try at La Paz, a Larger City with more Culture.

Have pity on those that "Judge You" it is their lack of knowledge and Character that causes their "Poor Judgement"

Baja Sur is less Populated;

Skeet/Loreto "In God I Trust"
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 07:13 AM
Parker

Congrats. on your finding your love (and congrats. to her also, (sounds like she found a 'keeper' :biggrin:)

All advice above is good (IMHO) except, if you only have a week (try to find more time, you won't regret it!) I wouldn't go farther than Ensenada and La Bufadora (otherwise you will spend all of your time driving rather than enjoying time with your new bride) If I were you, I would take Keri's advice and stay at the Pyramid Resort (althought I've never had the pleasure of meeting her ), I'm told that she and her husband are wonderful hosts and will go all they can to make your stay a great one. As David K. and others have said here, most of us are camping/outback loving folks and don't spend much time in the cities, but, I have spend time in Ensenada and it is a really nice place (If you need a dentist, I have a favorite that I come all the way from Seattle to have him take care of me)

One more bit of advice, If you do decide to go to Ensenada and keep to that area, I would forget getting a car, they are very expensive to rent in Mexico and a 'pain in the butt', you can get a bus from the San Diego airport (if interested in doing that, post here and I will give you exact instructions) that will drop you off in the heart of Ensenada, walking distance to most everything you might want to do....for going out to La Buf. hail a taxi.....(before you get in, ask and agree on a price for the ride to wherever you are going)

As to the family giving you a hard time on your union.....TELL THEM TO MIND THEIR OWN BEEZ-WAX :)

[Edited on 6-21-2004 by Debra]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 07:21 AM

The guy only has a week.. La Paz takes two full days drive (one way). Mulege/Concepcion Bay is just a day and a half or less drive... Spend night 1 at the Malarrimo Motel in Guerrero Negro http://www.malarrimo.com or if you get a real early start make San Ignacio and stay at http://www.ignaciosprings.com

If you want, on the return trip north see Bahia de los Angeles, 41 miles off Hwy. 1 on a paved road and stay at Costa del Sol or Raquel & Larry's, eat at Las Hamacas, Raquel's, or the taco stands.

Oh, the Tourist Card (visa, FM-T) you get at the border (INM office) is free IF your stay is not over 7 days from latest reports, otherwise it is $21 US. Bring birth cert. or passport. They check them at the state border near Guerrero Negro (giant eagle monument).

[Edited on 6-21-2004 by David K]

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 06:31 PM
Congratulations....!!!!

I hope you have a great life together... congratulations on your wedding.

So you begin relaxing, let me say this...

If you decide to go far south of Baja, we at BajaCactus will give you a complimentary night stay at our new motel, in El Rosario.

Just keep in mind that, El Rosario is not a destination (yet), is only a place to rest and continue on the next day.

So, if you want it, just send us an e-mail: motel@bajacactus.com and we will be very happy to give you this wedding gift.

"May you have a life full of happiness and joy."

Antonio M.

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 06:57 PM
BajaCactus

That is so nice of you (and your's) This is another example of why we love Baja and the people that live in and adventure to Baja.....THE BEST!
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 08:34 PM

Congratulations on your Boda !

If you only have one week, rent from Avis at the border, and I would recommend either Las Rosas in Ensenada or the San NicholasHotel in Ensenada. The June gloom usually burns off by the time you get into Ensenada.

Too bad you guys can't just fly to La Paz, and stay on Espiritu. the "camp" there runs $175.00 per person, per night, minimum of four night, but all you bring is yourselves, everything else is provided.

Good Luck !

;D;D;D;D

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 08:50 PM
Now there's

some great advice!:lol::lol::lol:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 09:04 PM
A last chime in

So much Baja, all good.

I am a little jealous, I have opined about what I know about Baja, but, life here is truly "a box of chocolates" because after reading this thread, I would like to visit all the other recs.

Which ever way you decide to go, I look forward to your (I hope) trip report to the board.

I do believe we all care about how your experience!
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 10:31 PM
Congrats!!

Congratulations! Hope you both have a Wonderful Life together! We here in San Felipe think It's a Great place too! It's not far from the Border if you don't have much time, the weather has been realy Great this Spring,and nite life if you want it but quiet, peacful and beautiful at the Beach right now!If you don't come this time on your trip, give it a try next time!!
;D
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 04:50 AM
"Courtesy is Contagious"

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.