[*] posted on 7-23-2009 at 06:00 PM
South swell

Anyone seeing this South swell Yet?
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 7-23-2009 at 07:12 PM

OH YEAH!

Unfortunately, I only surfed epic 4-6' San Elijo today and not my favorite right point in Baja.

Is anyone else noticing a lime green/tangerine colored foam/algae on the water. Its very obvious. There were bait fish that were very slowly rising up and feeding on it. definately not like a bait boil.

Could be related to 71 degree water.

Swell should peak tommorrow. See you in the water!

No worries
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-23-2009 at 07:50 PM

we'll be leaving at 4pm tomorrow.

see you at ................................ , or not!

cropped fotos to follow, with minimal details.......

now that everyone is hyped on this swell it'll probably underwhelm.....

:P:lol::light::rolleyes:

landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2009 at 08:04 PM

I bodysurfed Stonesteps this afternoon. There were some south sets approaching head high. Well 5 times overhead for a body surfer anyway. A little NW wind swell was visible as well. Didn't notice any of the green slime, or epic 4-6 foot conditions, but stonesteps is certainly no gauge, but it is only a mile north of the San Elijo campgrounds.

KCAL 9 had some reporters claiming 25 foot face heights will appear at the wedge tomorrow(friday).

I hope I'm wrong, but this swell is probably just another in a long line of overhyped, lackluster, criminally inconsistent, undersized, overcrowded swells. We need another Shark scare.

Swells Must be good for the economy. Or the media hasn't yet found anther M. Jackson story to abuse.
Curt63
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2009 at 08:16 PM

Isn't head high about 5-6'?

I measure the wave by the front (the part I ride).

I know all about the Hawaiin method of measuring the back and the reasons why.

I know how frustrating those swell forecasts are. I'm sure its not even worth checking tommorrow.

And even if it comes in...the crowds. I just dont understand why anybody even surfs.;)

No worries
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2009 at 08:55 PM

I think it's been generally agreed, head high,waist high, double overhead are a more universal method of measurement, Because a Hawaiian's flat might be your 6 foot, and equal to what I consider 3 foot of swell.

If your gonna make 4-6 foot calls, indicate 4 to 6 foot faces.

The crowd factor has made me quit surfing many times. I've gotten real good at it.

After a while when nothing makes sense anymore I force myself out there. The stoke returns until some idiot drops in, doesn't attempt to get out of the way, or I have to listen to the morning social gossip hour by self important ****** bags trying to out flake each other on their 8'6" tri fined "longboards"

Then I quit again. Till the next overhyped swell or maybe the one after that.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 7-23-2009 at 09:29 PM

Overhead in San Clemente today.Very light breeze, nice south swell, awesome lefts at Lindy Lane(rights too)!! Very strong rip and lifeguards pretty busy.:bounce:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Curt63
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2009 at 03:31 PM

Great surf today!

3' overhead on the largest sets and glassy. No algae today (no sun as of 11am)

This swell forecast was right on the money. Hope everyone got waves.

No worries
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 7-24-2009 at 04:05 PM

Just got back from blacks beach little choppy but it was about 6' faces nice shoulders it was awesome the tide was receeding so it wasnt prime.

Should be good early in the morning during incoming tide.....

READY SET.....................
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2009 at 05:03 PM

I've been up and down the local coast all day. The surf here is marginal, a little size but a bump and the wind had allready come up at 9:30 am when I got there. Best surf looked like Malibu. The crowds are out, 40 guys at C st and cars everywhere. Guess it's been a long time between swells. Hope it's better where you are.
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 7-24-2009 at 05:19 PM

Man your way up north, im down here in San Diego illl bet it will be going off 545am tomorrow for sure............................

READY SET.....................
duke62
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2009 at 10:29 PM

Seems to be North County (Oceanside) and further North getting most of it.

Curt63, like the San Elijo report. Grew up on Chesterfield. Met many longboard legends at Cardiff Reef, or at V.G. Donuts, before or after.

Recently picked up a custom Bill Hamilton (Laird's dad) longboard at an East County garage sale for $15 that I am fixin' up for my son. Well, actually, son, depends upon how good it turns out.... :saint:
bigjohn
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2009 at 11:51 PM

The surf was 10 - 13 feet this afternoon at Newport Beach near 48th Street. The surfers were out in force and there was a mean rip which was also a PITA for the lifeguards!
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2009 at 12:11 AM

The problem with quitting surfing so regularly is that when a good swell does show up, my paddling muscles can't keep up with my desire to get long rides and punch back out through 15 wave sets.

In southish North county SD there were a more than a couple of 1 to almost 3 foot overhead sets. The winds were strongest (12mph or so) around 1:30 but never much of a factor. It was clean, green, solid swell. Warm water, and parking was so intense with unsurfing beachgoers that not too many surfers could overcrowd one area easily.

I managed a couple of the bigger set waves today, I'm happy. If I were in better shape, I'd be happier.
If I were at a lonely point break down south, I'd be dancing a jig
Curt63
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2009 at 06:42 AM

Yachty, glad to hear you made it out......

stay stoked!

No worries
bajachris
Nomad

Mood: Love Baja

[*] posted on 7-25-2009 at 05:00 PM

We just drove down the coast to near Guerrero Negro. The swell was huge the whole way. Some of the most perfect lefts I have ever seen. Head down, just past the boarder was great.
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 7-25-2009 at 06:01 PM

I am south of Rosarito now, been here for the last 3 days, 6-10 ft faces, around 78 degrees, no wind, not too many folks in the water...not bad at all...

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.