Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Language School
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 09:00 AM
Language School

Wife and 2 daughters are interested in spending 1-2 weeks (possibly 2, 1 week sessions) in a spanish emersion program. Looking for a formal program with either very small classes or private for the 3 of them. Locations are optional, but I believe they are a # in Rosarito, Ensenada, and La Paz. This will be for this summer in later July til mid August time frame. Any specific advice/referrals would be greatly appreciated. Tim
tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 09:02 AM

Should have added that daughters have had minimal spanish (wife less) but all have traveled Baja and mainland a great deal. Daughters are 11 and 13.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 09:10 AM
Would they be interested in

living with a family in the hills around La Paz? It would probably involve them helping to make candy and empanadas, and all other aspects of rancho life.
They are a wonderful family.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 10:49 AM

You might be able to make contact with the Boarding School in Loreto. That would be an excellent place to have the children emmersed with the children and learn Spanish that is used in and around Loreto as well as the Mountains villages.

Anytime that you can be involved directly gives you many more benefits.

My Daughter speaks "Castallian" {sp} and had diffculty being understood by the eveyday Mexicano around Loreto, until she had switched to the"Slang Version" spoken by most of the olders Mexicanos.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 04:45 PM

Jr, if I was able to go, they would love to participate and learn in that fashion. Very much so in line with other service activities they (we) have participated in. Without me, they would not be comfortable.

Skeet: love the Loreto idea, but as much as we like the area it is too hot at that time of year in our opinion even more so than La Paz. But will keep that great idea in mind for one of our other many trips their throughout the year.

For this time, really looking for a formal language emersion course. All ideas/references are greatly appreciated. Tim
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 04:50 PM
Tim, I know there is one in Ensenada

David, Keri?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 04:59 PM

I have previously mentioned this school in Ensenada:

http://www.bajacal.com/

Talk to Keith.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 08:02 PM

Thank you Doug and Debra. We will check it out. Doug it appears that you may know them , any insight?

Others in La Paz or Rosarito?

Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 08:13 PM

The one in Ensenada looks good, but pricey. The State University, before you get into Ensenada proper used to have Spanish classes during the summer, at a minimal cost. I could make some calls for you, if you'd like.

I don't know of any in Rosarito, unless they would be private.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 08:21 PM
Margie

I don't think that is the one I've seen recommended here......If Keri pops in I'm sure she can explaine.
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 08:53 PM

Theres a class put on at Marina De La Paz for the gringo boater folks . I think they can also hook you up with an emmersed set up.

All that wonder are not lost
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 11:01 PM
Baja California Language College

is the place Debra! Doug put up the link http://bajacal.com This is the school where you live in Ensenada with a local family (optional, but best) when not in school, and really learn fast! The school is owned by Keith, a good person.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-21-2004 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tim40
Doug it appears that you may know them , any insight?
I have NOT been a client yet, but did recently discuss sending one or more of my teens down there with him.

The occasional feedback that I read/hear is good.

I've known Keith for some time now, and have no hesitation in referring those interested in such a program that way.

Here's more about Keith from an article by book author Ann Hazard:

Quote:
The most unique way to visit Ensenada, however, and to get a true feel for its people, culture and lifestyle, is to take a learning vacation. The Baja California Language College (Colegio de Idiomas de Baja California) is located here, and a week of study can drastically improve your Spanish. It was founded by Minnesotan Keith Rolle in 1997, a former manager for Toro, the lawn mower superpower in Minneapolis. In his travels for Toro, he discovered that more and more people he did business with spoke Spanish. He was fluent in French, but that wasn?t doing him much good in Mexico or other parts of Latin America. He heard about a school in Ensenada that offered weeklong Spanish immersion programs and signed up for two weeks? worth. He enjoyed it so much that he went back for another three weeks. By then, he was hooked on Ensenada. He was also hooked on the idea of starting his own school.

He quit his high-paying job, started up a Mexican corporation and moved to San Diego, where he commutes back and forth to Ensenada. Keith has a team of six instructors, and another eight on standby who come in when a huge group of students shows up. The school?s philosophy is geared to getting students speaking Spanish?as soon as their first day in town. Combining small classes of no more than five students with a Mexican family home stay program, instructors use a combination of conversation, games, music, contests and outings around town to help students learn the language and culture.

Located in central Ensenada, within walking distance to everything, the Baja Language College attracts a variety of people with a need or passion to communicate in Spanish. There are business executives from the US, Canada and Europe, attorneys, doctors and human resource professionals. Seniors wanting to retire or travel in Mexico sign up. Teachers come with groups of students in the summer. Families come together during vacations. With Keith?s program, not only do you learn Spanish, but through immersion, you?ll become familiar with the Mexican culture. Once you?re able to actually talk to the Mexican people, you?ll find a whole new world opening up to you.

Keith has done an amazing job of integrating himself into the Ensenada community. I?m always impressed when I hang out with him. Everywhere we go, people know him. The bartenders in Hussongs joke and jive with him. He bowls every month with a group of local businessmen. They call him El Vikingo (the Viking?think football). Keith is difficult to pronounce in Spanish, so the locals just call him Kiki. He?s easy going, funny and smart as hell. He fits in and he?s the best advertisement around for the success of his immersion program. The Mexicans not only respect him, but they have a good time with him too. So do his students, many of whom have told me that their time at the school was as a blast?as much a vacation as a learning experience.

Keith?s program works so well because you eat, drink, dream and live in Spanish. Host families are selected for their friendliness, willingness to assist you with their studies, and for their superior accommodations. They?re all middle class families in comfortable homes with all the amenities Americans are accustomed to. The home stay cost is reasonable too?$25 per night per person, which includes meals. If you share a room or stay longer than five weeks, the cost is $20 per day. If you decide to bypass the home stay program, lodging is also offered at local condominiums RV parks and hotels.

Tuition for 30 hours a week (five days at six hours per day) is $245. Extra days cost $60 and weekend workshops cost $180 for a total of 13 hours. Private tutoring is available as well, for $90 per day for six hours or $445 per week. Executive immersion, requiring a two-week minimum, costs $690. Seniors, families and large groups can apply for special discounts.

School days are from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Afternoons are free, so you can explore Ensenada and have some fun. Sign up. Show up, and you might just stumble onto one of Ensenada?s famous fiestas!

http://justsaygo.com/JustSayGo_Site/destinations/ensenada.ht...

Ann's own site is at:
http://www.bajamagic.com

fyi... for La Paz, I'm aware of this site online:
http://www.sehablalapaz.com

...but have no further knowledge/feedback.

Regards,
--
Doug Means

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 09:10 AM

Thank you all so much for your time and knowledge. The book reference leaves me wanting to call in 'ill' for a couple of weeks...but then who would pay for the wife and the kids....

One last clarification please.

Margie, is what Doug shared the same that you were thinking of? Just to have something to compare with, I would appreciate a contact # of the University if you have one. Tim
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 01:28 PM
Thanks David.....

I wasn't sure Margie was talking about the same one that I've seen recommended by you and others so often.
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 03:53 PM

No, what I was talking about was the Universidad Autonoma de Baja California en Ensenada. We had a friend who used to teach Literature there.

This is the huge complex on the oceanside as you are entering Ensenada.

The program was in conjunction with San Diego State University, and the credits you received could be applied to SDSU. The cost, at that time, was $50.00 per week.

I'll need to get that Ensenada number for you, but in the meantime you could give SDSU Spanish Language Department a call and see if the classes are still offered, and here are some listings for UABC in TJ who might be able to direct you:

UABC - TJ :

Escuela de Idiomas:
011-52-664-683-3325

Recursos Humano:
011-52-664-682-0059

Universidad Servicios:
011-52-664-682-1068

[Edited on 6-22-2004 by Margie]

tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 04:28 PM

Thank you. We will try and make contact. Tim
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 04:35 PM

tim, try these sites:

Study Abroad In Mexico:

http://www.sa.sdsu.edu/isc/sites_mexico.htm#uabc

also,:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~latamweb/autonoma.html

tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 09:17 PM

Thank you Margie...you are great!

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
6flora6
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 09:26 PM

Se Habla... La Paz is also quite good. They offer really small classes and homestays, although I'm not sure if they cater to children. I am currently doing one of their programs. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Here's their website: http://www.sehablalapaz.com/
Good Luck!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.