BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flying into SJD, Jeep rental? must see places?
Jposey66

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 06:46 AM
Flying into SJD, Jeep rental? must see places?

Previously, I have always started my Baja adventures stateside, driving across the border once or twice per year since 2000. Doing so, I have never had quite enough time to explore the entire peninsula, only making it as far south as Loreto. I'm doing it a little different this time, flying into San Jose del Cabo and exploring the more southern areas.

In searching for a jeep rental, I ran across AutoXpress Car Rentals( www.los-cabos-car-rental.com ), which has pricing that is all-inclusive, meaning that the price listed includes all liability and CDW insurances and taxes. Anyone have any experience with this place or have other recommendations? Anyway to check out the legitamacy of this business?

Also, looking for any recommendations for places we shouldn't miss. What are the "must see" places down there? Will be meeting up with friends in the Cabo Pulmo area but want to explore much more of the southern tip. I love snorkeling and always have my gear with me when in Baja.

Timeframe will be mid September.

Thanks in Advance!
Posey
Madison, Alabama
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 07:26 AM

Keep your eye on the weather forecasts when traveling down there in September; that's the most unstable time of year in Baja...and muggy...really, really muggy.....explore the canyons west of Santiago..lots of running water, waterfalls, beautiful arid forests.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 10:52 AM

Get hoisted upsidedown and do a shot of Herradura at the Giggling Marlin.

Just foolin'

We rented a truck from National and when we went to pick it up (LaPerla Hotel in La Paz) they said they had nothing available. I showed him the fax receipt from National's corporate headquarters in Minnesota and they changed their mind quickly and gave me a free upgrade.

They were impressed that I had the paperwork from corporate.
Jposey66

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 11:07 AM

All good info guys! except for the shot of Herradura! LOL! I like my drinks slow, so I can remember what I did the next day.

Keep the info coming!

Thanks,
Posey
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2009 at 02:56 PM

Definitely go down and take a boat trip to el Arco.

If you want to go sailing, I would highly recommend the Pez Gato or Tropicat sailboats (same company). They have snorkeling and sunset cruises. A little pricey, but very nice and great crews.

If you just want to go out and see the arch (glass bottom boat) and maybe spend the day snorkeling around Lover's Beach look for the Zaida company. Isaac and his sister have been running the place for years (marina CSL), and they'll treat you well.

Beaches to go to San Lucas way would be Chileno and maybe Santa Maria.

We usually drive up to the little town of Candelario and look for mangoes and witches!

Pescadero up towards Todos Santos has Los Cerritos beach for surfing. There is a new restaurant there as well.

We just rented with Europcar off the internet. It was a good deal and very satisfied with the service. Came to about $34/day for a "premium", 4 door and a trunk car. I paid liablility insurance only after talking with my credit card company about their coverage. They're right at the airport. Saludos and have fun! H.
Jposey66

[*] posted on 8-3-2009 at 05:55 AM

Thanks for the info so far!

Heather, What is this about "witches"?:O

If anyone has any info on AutoXpress Car rental, that would be great. I need something more than a standard car, as I like to get pretty far off the beaten path.

Posey
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2009 at 07:15 AM

I rented a Jeep Liberty in Loreto though, great suv, will go anywhere. I've never rented from Auto Express, but remember in Mexico a car reservation is only a maybe.
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2009 at 11:10 AM

Oh there's lots of stories about "Las Brujas de Candelario". They may be rumors, but you never know! There is a very nice American lady that has been living in Candelario for quite a few years. She makes some very nice pottery. We stopped and picked mangoes from her trees the last time we were there.
There are lots of little ranchos in the hills between Los Cabos...San Jose and San Lucas. If you are adventurous just take to the hills and see what you find and who you meet! If you see a little rancho stop and buy some cheese, or whatever else they may be selling. Watch your route, though, you don't always get to where you think you will! We found Rancho San Felipe one year, but never seemed to be able to return! My husband grew up in that area, so he knows quite a few of the ranchos and roads, but just be careful! Have fun, Heather
Jposey66

[*] posted on 8-3-2009 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather
Oh there's lots of stories about "Las Brujas de Candelario". They may be rumors, but you never know! There is a very nice American lady that has been living in Candelario for quite a few years. She makes some very nice pottery. We stopped and picked mangoes from her trees the last time we were there.
There are lots of little ranchos in the hills between Los Cabos...San Jose and San Lucas. If you are adventurous just take to the hills and see what you find and who you meet! If you see a little rancho stop and buy some cheese, or whatever else they may be selling. Watch your route, though, you don't always get to where you think you will! We found Rancho San Felipe one year, but never seemed to be able to return! My husband grew up in that area, so he knows quite a few of the ranchos and roads, but just be careful! Have fun, Heather

Yep, I'm definitely the "off the beaten path" type. Don't really care for the big towns. I like finding places like Alfonsina's, Raquel and Larry's, and San Frasisquito. Looks like we are staying on the west side of Cabo, at the Puebla Bonita at Sunset Beach, so I may explore up the Pacific side too. We will be over on the SOC side snorkeling and exploring a lot also. I'll have to pull out the map and figure out where Candelario is.

I always carry a GPS so I can find my way back.

Thanks,
Posey

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.