BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stricter laws help some endangered Mexican sea turtles, do little for others
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

thumbdown.gif posted on 6-22-2004 at 08:50 AM
Stricter laws help some endangered Mexican sea turtles, do little for others

By Will Weissert
ASSOCIATED PRESS
1:40 p.m. June 21, 2004

MEXICO CITY ? Despite nearly two decades of conservation efforts, the world's biggest sea turtle species continues to disappear from Mexican waters and is sliding toward extinction worldwide, federal officials said Monday.
The leatherback can grow 6-8 feet long and weigh between 1,200 and 1,500 pounds. In Mexico, an adult population of 115,000 in 1982 dwindled to between 20,000 and 30,000 by 1996, officials told reporters.

"If we don't do something, we could lose the species in a very short time," said Oscar Ramirez, director of field operations for the wildlife division of the federal environmental prosecutor's office, Profepa.

Efforts to protect the leatherback have slowed its rate of disappearance, but the species likely won't begin recovering for at least 15 years, said Luis Fueyo, Profepa's director of inspections.

Laws designed to protect sea turtles in Mexico were first approved in 1988 and were tightened last year. Those caught trafficking turtles now can face up to nine years in prison.

During 139 sting operations in 2003, federal agents confiscated 231,975 turtle eggs and 101 products made using turtles and arrested 59 people. Through April of this year, federal laws had been used to prosecute nine people, Fueyo said.

Federal agents now patrol 23 beaches and keep an eye on nearby highways, looking to nab smugglers of turtle goods, Fueyo said.

The sale of turtle eggs and meat to restaurants is common in nearly all of southern and western Mexico and the practice stretches as far inland as Mexico City, according to Profepa.

In the north, the sale of shells, boots and other clothing made from turtle skin is popular, as is the illegal capture and sale of the reptiles as pets, according to Profepa.

Conservation efforts include creation of 23 sea turtle sanctuaries as well as agreements with people in beachfront communities nationwide to police for illegal sea turtle hunting, Fueyo said.

Mammoth nets used for commercial fishing ? especially aboard those vessels trolling Mexican waters for shrimp and sharks ? often inadvertently trap turtles, further threatening their fragile populations.

New guidelines require fisherman to abstain from spreading nets in turtle-rich areas. Also, last month, Profepa signed an agreement with Mexico's largest fishing organization to better protect turtles, Fueyo said.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 09:43 AM

231,975 turtle eggs? 139 sting operations? Yeah, right.

I don't know how many PROFEPA agents are patrolling these beaches but from TJ to Ensenada there is 1 agent. And he, according to a friend, is a "little bit crooked".:lol:

Nine years? Most murderers don't get that.

Apparently, the AP will write anything the Mexican government shovels its way.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 10:19 AM
Probably not a lot

of actual agents from PROFEPA, but, all the beaches I frequent have military personel patroling regularly. And, they are well armed, extremely polite and professional, and they are serious about what they are doing.
They are also looking for drugs being shipped across from the mainland heading to the u.s.market.
These guys are Mexican Marines. They have boats, planes, helicopters, and radios. They aren't the kids you see at the revisiones, they are well trained, mature officers who believe in what they are doing.
They don't spend a lot of time between Rosarito and Ensenada because, well, why should they? I haven't seen any turtles in this area yet but down south, they are on it bigtime!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
They are also looking for drugs being shipped across from the mainland heading to the u.s.market.

No, they are PRIMARILY looking for drugs. They occasionally stumble on to a turtle poaching. When was the last time they actively pursued illegal fishing operations?

These guys ARE serious but their #1 priority is drugs. PROFEPA is charged with environmental enforcement and they are for sale to the highest bidder.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 12:36 PM
Don't know about that but

Here's a funny story about them. Carol and I had a camp set up in our usual spot down on a remote beach. We had been drinking and playing this game and she fell down and got a black eye. I marked out the whole scenario for when she woke up in the morning because I didn't want to get blamed. I thought it was hysterical.
We left the next day to go shopping in La Paz and didn't get back until night. I was out getting some wood when the dogs started going off. It was three of these guys and they had been checking our camp all day.
I showed them my papers and got to talking with them and they couldn't figure out if we had gone out in a boat and drowned, some smugglers or who knows what. I guess most people don't just go off and leave their stuff.
Anyways, when they saw these strange markings in the dirt, they figured it was a code so they hung around to get to the bottom of it.
We ended up spending the evening together and some tacos and cervezas and they asked us to please leave a note next time we take off.
Talking to them, they were explaining that they were a fairly new division of military and they were looking for #1. smugglers of drugs. #2. Poachers of any sort. #3. Destroyers of Flaura and Fauna and anyone hurting the environment.
Although it is against the law to catch lobsters and various other sea creatures by foreigners, as long as you are only getting enough to eat for yourselves, they probably won't say anything. Commercial operations or anything to do with an endangered species is SERIOUS BUSINESS!
These guys had the equipment and were highly educated. I don't think that they would be out there taking bribes. And I don't think they would arrest their sisters, but I do think they are doing a lot of good whenever they can.
We will be seeing more of them.
:light:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 01:32 PM

Under Mexican law, it is illegal for longliners or gill-netters to fish commercially within 50 miles of the coast of the Sea of Cortes.

You would think this would be easy picking for the Marines considering the law encompasses virtually all of the sea so any commercial operator would be easily spotted, no?

What is your guess as to how effectively Mexico enforces this law?

A flocking joke.

This is just one example of how Mexico is peeing away its future.

My comments about PROFEPA were not limited to its inaction regarding turtles. Puerto Nuevo dumps raw sewage into the sea and garbage on neighboring properties. The PROFEPA agent has visited on numerous occasions. He always leaves with his pockets and belly full.:fire:

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 03:14 PM
And your recommendation is?

There is a lot more to Baja than this little americanized stretch of coastline that we have here Dave.
Granted, there is a major deficiency in police here, especially compared to the u.s. where most everyone is some sort of cop. Lovely way to live, don't you agree?
Down here, where the people actually are free, there are going to be some cases of bribery and such, ( as if that isn't happening in the u.s.!), especially around your area and Puerto Nuevo or anywhere else there are gringo dollars to be had.
Seems a little odd to me that someone with a business here ( Baja Norte) that is so in the know, would make comments on Baja Sur. It is a lot different there than here Dave. You should check it out. And, they are becoming more aware of the dire need to make changes soon.
In my opinion, they are doing some real good in the southern regions and this is from dealing with them personally. And I have never personally seen one "stuffed pocket", how bout you?
It's a long road to bring back what there once was. But if they're putting in 5000 homes in Loreto and all these other pathetic gringo, canadian, developments, why bother, the pollution will kill everything anyway. Just like california and the u.s.coastline and the area you are complaining about.
At least the Mexicans are trying rather than whining. The ones I know anyway.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 04:59 PM
Sea Turtle Conservation

An excerpt from our visit to watch the whales and an experience with a young lady trained to protect the sea turtles:

We climb out of the panga and enter the simple restaurant. Mary Ann and I share a plate of tasty scallops mojo de ajo. Suzanne is presented with a plate of mixed things not meat. It?s quite tasty she tells us.

?MMMMmmm.? We respond, loving our seafood and garlic.

?How?s everything?? Rubi asks.

?Better than sea turtle.? I offer. Suzanne is squeamish. Mary Ann cringes.

Rubi launches into a very informative tutorial about her position in the scattered village. She is trained in conservation and protection of endangered species here in Laguna San Ignacio. Her husband and brother-in-law also work to educate the locals on the concepts of preservation and protection of those elements of our environment that are at risk. How cool, I?m thinking, that this far into the outback the word is getting out. These three have integrated into the villagers and carried forward a mission to inform and introduce change into family traditions that have carried on for perhaps centuries, to help local families understand how select habits can damage their futures, can have a negative influence. How far we have progressed, I reflect, awestruck. It?s an easy deal to sell a city dweller on not eating some food they never thought about anyway. But to convince a family that has made a living by capturing for generations some animal that has become endangered that it would serve the world better if they gave up their pursuit? That?s a difficult challenge.

Rubi sparkles in her conversation, telling us the impact and cooperative influences she and her kind have had on the locals, how most folks now recognize the need to protect the environment and the endangered. She excitedly cites incident after incident where the rural community is working toward a common concurred objective. Mary Ann, Suzanne and I are touched with the moment. On the drive back to San Ignacio Rubi and her world dominate our conversation, rattled somewhat by the nasty washboard surface.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2004 at 05:39 PM
That's spectacular Mike, these people care!

One of my projects down south was working with PROFEPA and the local people towards some protection of the hill communities. Caves, animals, trees and that kind of stuff.
One of the outcomes besides the communities being cleaned up is that now all the locals are involved and carrying PROFEPA Credentials, as well as educational meetings sponsored by PROFEPA in the communities themselves.
This has been a highly successful program and the interest has been 100% from all parties. They realize the importance, and value of improving and keeping the unique environment as it should be.
Of course, there are still going to be Venado BBQ"s in them thar hills, as I am sure that occasionally there will be turtle stew fiestas at the beaches.
The important thing is, everyone is now aware of the consequences. They are teaching ALL their kids in school about preservation and the kids in turn are teaching their parents.
What this means is that people aren't so likely to just turn their heads anymore. This is a HUGE step in the right direction.
And I love it !
:light:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.