BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hooray! An outlet for mainlanders!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 02:24 PM
Hooray! An outlet for mainlanders!!

I hope to be using this very soon.

Thanks, Doug.

jorgie
Nomad

Mood: on the road....again,again

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 02:57 PM

WHAT ????
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 03:33 PM

Like if I drive to Fresno for a Basque dinner, I can post it here?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Basqueolutely!

BTW, cant remember the name of the one we went to but it was excellent. I recommend the tongue.

Actually, it was in Bakersfield.

[Edited on 8-14-2009 by Hook]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 04:20 PM
Basque

Come on over to northern Nevada if you want Basque

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 04:22 PM

Cool. I'm looking forward to some interesting trip reports. On Sept. 14, I'll be taking off for a month long trip to India with 3 day layovers in Amsterdam and London. At least I won't be posting a trip report to be ignored in Mr. Bill BM's wasteland.
LisaR.
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

Basqueolutely!

BTW, cant remember the name of the one we went to but it was excellent. I recommend the tongue.

Actually, it was in Bakersfield.

[Edited on 8-14-2009 by Hook]

I may have been to that same restaurant in Bakersfield. One of the people I went with raved about the tongue. I didn't care for it.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 05:47 PM

Louie's Corner Basque Restaurant in Reno.

Simply the best food in the world.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 05:52 PM

Pomp

Although I am in awe of your opinions on most everything, I have to disagree......living, traveling and eating around Nevada since 1974, the top 3 in order are:

JT Basque Restaurant in Minden/Gardnerville
Martin Hotel in Winnemucca
Star Basque Restaurant in Elko

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 06:28 PM

bajaguy...you probably are right. I just had to stop and think when was the last time I actually ate at Louie's. I was with an old amigo named Don Hiedtman who lived at Posada Concepcion in Concepcion Bay.

It was 1979...hoo boy, time sure flys.

Well..it was the best food in the world THEN!! ;)

edit to add:

PIZZA? .. "SAMMY'S"

[Edited on 8-15-2009 by Pompano]

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 06:51 PM

I can't wait to read about Hook's -- and other-- mainland trips:bounce::bounce::spingrin::spingrin:
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 06:54 PM

HOOK
you want excellent tongue try it at the posada don diego sunday brunch. we have tacos and also in chili verde.
stop in on sunday.

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2009 at 11:36 PM

The restaurant at the Basque Hotel in Bakersfield?? Geez. Basque was more like family style service than cuisine. I remember fried chicken and corn on the cob.
:o
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

I have been going there sporadically for many years and stopped last week on the way home from a national park trip. It was an excellent, homecooking style dinner (the lamb roast, sweetbreads, and french fries were extremely good), but "the best food in the world"? For that, I would say a contender is La Cocedora de Langosta in Ensenada--that was the best meal I have had recently.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 09:16 AM

Woolgrowers

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 11:46 AM

You can try the Armenian food while in Fresno!:?::?::wow:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by larry
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

I have been going there sporadically for many years and stopped last week on the way home from a national park trip. It was an excellent, homecooking style dinner (the lamb roast, sweetbreads, and french fries were extremely good), but "the best food in the world"? For that, I would say a contender is La Cocedora de Langosta in Ensenada--that was the best meal I have had recently.

larry, I haven't been to Louie's in far too long, and will try to get back there soon. Right after I try La Cocedora de Langosta in Ensenada! Hopefully it's close to Papagayos Resort Hotel on the malecon?

All I remember of Louie's Corner is best summed up.. that if you believe that travel includes eating at local restaurants that represent the cultural history of the place, then Louis' Basque Corner is an essential stop. Simple food prepared well, and plenty of it.

It's good old-fashioned family style (...and reminded me of long ago harvest-time when my mother and sister would feed over 20 in our country kitchen.) Louie's diners are seated at tables that accommodate 8-10, but our party of 5 or 6 had a table to ourselves.

You pick an entree..could be sirloin steak, roast pork with mushroom gravy, braised lamb chops, and/or shrimp, etc. etc.. While they're preparing those out come the big tureens of split pea and other soups, tossed salads with a light vinagrette type dressing, Basque beans, also the braised tongue in a tomato (almost creole type) sauce with bell peppers, bread, and, of course, carafes of red wine.

These things aren't brought to the table all at once, they sort of come in waves. Then your entree comes- I recall a pork roast which was perfectly cooked and very lean. I also tried the steak which was cooked as ordered, big and juicy! A heaping plate of hot french fries is also delivered with the entree, as if you didn't already have enough going on at the table. They'll happily supply you with a to-go box because you will need it. If you're still hungry, dinner also comes with ice cream or cheese for dessert.

Also I had a Picon Punch, the famous Basque drink that the bartender can fix for you. Try one, it's delicious and refreshing..made with some kind of orange liquer, brandy and grenadine. (I usually don't do grenadine, but this was better than dessert!)

Dinner costs less than one expected..which was nice. Be hungry when you go and enjoy this place because it's a relic from non-homogenized American dining! Dress is..something that you don't mind staining.

[Edited on 8-31-2009 by Pompano]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 12:37 PM
Basque

Hey, Pomp....when you get up this way, let me know.....we can meet at the JT in Gardnerville!!!!!!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 12:58 PM

Pompano's post sadly reminds me that there are now generations of folks who only think about eating at chain restaurants, whether for fast food, or the sit down joints like Chili's, Applebees, Olive Garden and the like. I'm offended whenever i see an Olive Garden commercial that ends with the words, "When you're here, you're family." Yeah, right! Most of the finest meals we've ever had North or South of the border have been at mom & pop places. That being said, sometimes mom & pop are so successful, that it gets away from them. I'm reminded of a trip we took in the late 60's, and while returning to NY from Boulder, were forced to detour because of tornado activity. Ended up in Hays, KS. It so happened that right next door to our motel there was a place called Pizza Hut. Yep. First location. The pizza stunk. It was like putting chili on matzo.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-2-2009 at 11:08 AM
Basque food

Quote:

Used to go to the Santa Fe, for lunch years ago... are they still serving???;D;D

Saw "woolgrowers"... another one was the one just down the street from the Santa Fe.. was Spanish Basque opposed to French, Yateries (sp)...

But good, making me very hungry just thinking about it...;D;D

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by wessongroup]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.