Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flying with kids - a reminder
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 11:53 AM
Flying with kids - a reminder

I flew Southwest from San Diego to Phoenix last week with my 2 daughters (11 and 13). We were booked on America West's daily flight from Phoenix to Guaymas enroute to a week in San Carlos. My wife's employer is in the process of being acquired so my wife (the CFO) had to stay in San Diego.

The America West agent looked at our passports, checked our bags and sent us up to the gate for boarding. When we were ready to board, however, the gate agent asked me where my letter was.

Huh???

Turns out the "letter" would be a notarized letter from my wife authorizing me to take my children into Mexico without her. Having no such letter, I asked why the agent who checked my bags half an hour earlier had not informed me of this. So sorry, they said. I then told them my wife could fax me one within minutes, and were they to hold the plane for just a few minutes more everything would be cool.

So sorry. America's Worst - er, America West closed the doors and left on the ONLY commercial flight to Guaymas without me. All remaining flights out of Phoenix, i.e. AeroMexico to Hermosillo, etc. were overbooked so I rented a car and drove the 7+ hours to San Carlos. But that's another story.

Worth the trip? Here are my daughters swimming in front of Mt. Tetakawi. Very Baja-looking, don't you think?:biggrin:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 12:36 PM

Sorry to hear of you troubles: If you had posted I sould have been able to give you the answer as well as others.

Suggestion to Doug:
It would be a "Good thing" if you where to Create a Rules and Reg. Forum with some of the Major Rules for entering Mexico and Baja.

Just a thought, as I too got caught in the same situtation many years ago with my Daughter/Grandson. things were different at that time and I was able to get on Board.

thanks MovingGuy for the Update>

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 02:51 PM

But - what makes no sense is that I loaded the girls into a rental car, drove them in and out of Mexico and nobody said a word. Go figure . . .:?:
Socalz

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 04:24 PM

I was aware of this requirement from reading about it at the various Baja boards. I hauled my wife down to the notary to sign a statement saying I could take our 15 y.o. (at the time) son to B.C.S. for a week. Stopped at Immigration at the border in Tijuana, filled out our FMT's and asked if they needed to see the statement and was just waved off. Maybe Immigration runs a bit stricter at the airport, but driving across, they didn't seem to care.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-24-2004 at 06:34 PM

You know sometimes there is no mother because she died... (save this for next time you forget the notorized letter).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 05:25 PM

David, that works in Baja (dead mother) , when was the last time you tried to cross the border from Norte to Sur? with the kids? Also, not so easy if getting on a plane. You need the dead Mom/Dad certificate of death....or divorce papers showing that you have sole coustedy of the children.

I've been telling people of this requirement for 20yrs. (semi-retired Travel Agent) , and have been told by several people..."I was never asked"......well, if someone wants to blow it off and take the chance.....more power to them (I've always been checked for the letter, NOTIERIZED) .....I sure wouldn't want to have the hassel that Movinguy did....my papers are always in order.

[Edited on 6-26-2004 by Debra]
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 07:37 PM

My papers will definitely be in order from now on. The border agent at Nogales shared this info with me: 80% of abducted children are taken by their fathers, hence men are scrutinized much more carefully. A mother traveling alone with her children would rarely, if ever, be asked for documentation.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
David, that works in Baja (dead mother) , when was the last time you tried to cross the border from Norte to Sur? with the kids? Also, not so easy if getting on a plane. You need the dead Mom/Dad certificate of death....or divorce papers showing that you have sole coustedy of the children.

I've been telling people of this requirement for 20yrs. (semi-retired Travel Agent) , and have been told by several people..."I was never asked"......well, if someone wants to blow it off and take the chance.....more power to them (I've always been checked for the letter, NOTIERIZED) .....I sure wouldn't want to have the hassel that Movinguy did....my papers are always in order.

[Edited on 6-26-2004 by Debra]

Debra (AKA: Travelpearl), I was just suggesting an emergency answer if someone forgets the necessary papers. I doubt if a casual tourist in Baja will think of bringing a death certificate when he goes camping with his kids. My kids mom was the one who suggested this as she didn't want to be bothered with getting a notorized paper. Since they always have lived with me with no support ever from her, it is not much of a stretch to say she's dead.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 09:47 PM
Hmmm...

DK: I'm the first one to BS my way through things, but that's not something I would say. Bad karma.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
DK: I'm the first one to BS my way through things, but that's not something I would say. Bad karma.

JZ, first off I have NEVER used this line, never had to because in the countless times I have taken my kids (and their friends even) to Mexico we have never been asked about the missing parent or note.

Second, since you have not 'walked in my shoes' you cannot understand my life raising two kids with little to no help from their mom. As I said, it was HER idea to have me and the kids tell any federales she was dead rather than for her to take the trouble to get a permission slip notorized. My kids were not bothered by her asking them to, either. Sad isn't it...

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 6-26-2004 at 07:40 AM
Different perspective...

Between 1973 and 1990 I made over 100 trips to Baja flying in private aircraft. A high percentage of those trips were with one or more of my three kids from my rookie marriage, and my second wife. My first wife and I shared custody of the kids, and she always cooperated in furnishing me the notarized letter of authorization. We typically cleared Mexican customs in Mexicali, although we occasionally cleared in Tijuana. When my second wife was present, I was never asked for the letter. However on several occasions when she was not present, and the kids were, I WAS asked for the letter. So the obvious solution, if you don't have the letter, is to just borrow a woman. Works every time.:lol:

++Ken++
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2004 at 08:15 AM

Ken, I like your advice!
Now I need a Humm-Vee to fit my growing kids AND the rent-a-mom! The Tacoma is getting tight... Any chance to see you in Bahia next weekend? I am pretty sure I will get away.

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 6-26-2004 at 02:24 PM
David, I would love to but...

I just can't make it for the 4th. I saw your post that said you were heading to BOLA and was envious. Looks like the next time I can get Big Red south of the border will be in September or early October. I want to see how it does on the road from San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay, spend some time at Alfonsinas, then head for Camp Gecko and chase some whale sharks. Have a great time over the 4th, buen viaje!!

++Ken++
sigringo

[*] posted on 6-28-2004 at 03:27 PM
Mom really did die...

a couple years ago. Will I really need a copy of the death certificate? And do I need birth certs for the kids as well?
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2004 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by movinguy
When we were ready to board, however, the gate agent asked me where my letter was.

Huh???

Turns out the "letter" would be a notarized letter from my wife authorizing me to take my children into Mexico without her.

If it is a requirement to "enter" Mexico wouldn't the issue be with you and Mexico? Why would it be any of America West's business? Are they now doing migra's work?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2004 at 06:33 PM

Quite normal Dave... The airline delivering you to Mexico must make sure you can enter Mexico legally.

I was surprised when I was asked for my passport on the first leg of my trip to Egypt (San Diego to New York) in San Diego! The airline wanted to be sure everything was in order at the start of your trip... Guess they don't want to bring you back or have you stay at the terminal (as in the new Tom Hanks movie).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.