Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Low impact baja camping
Ron_Perry
Junior Nomad

Mood: yearning for baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 06:17 AM
Low impact baja camping

Hi folks, I would like to share what I feel are a few good ideas to reduce our impact of camping in baja. Four years ago, my daughter and I spent 3 weeks camped out, surfing on the East Cape, at 9 Palms. We collected all of our garbage, and at the end, took our trash to the "city dumps" on the Palo Escopeta road. This road travels from San Jose del Cabo, to Vinorama on the East Cape. I believe this dump serves all of the Los Cabos area.
What I saw at this dump was the worst sight I have ever seen in Baja, or anywhere else in my life. As far as my eyes could see, trash blowing in every direction, with no attempt to bury or recycle. Out of sight, out of mind, in the middle of the desert. I am not slamming the Mexican government, just trying to do my part in helping.
Next year, the four in our camping party did not buy anything that could not be recycled (Pacifico beer) , or burned. We bought nothing in glass, and nothing in cans. It sounds difficult, but was not, as we have done this for three years straight. At our campsite, I set up a separate fire pit for burning of our trash. What we came home to the U.S. with was a few glass bottles, and about 50 Pacifico bottle tops.
I am not sure how much better burning is compared to having the trash blowing around indefinitely, but this idea seems to reduce the amount trash for us overall.
The next suggestion, and a ugly one at that, is what to do with human waste when camping in baja. What alot of folks do, and I have in the past, is walk back into the ravine behind your campsite and do your dirty business. For an area such a Nine Palms, that gets alot of human pressure, it is a bad idea. The earth is very hard, and becomes difficult to bury your waste.
Our solution, which takes effort, is to use a porty poty and a five gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid. We have the toilet in a small tent, along with a large plastic tub. Also in the tent is a one or two gallon jug for men to pee in.
When the toilet starts to get full, I transfer it to the five gallon bucket. When both the bucket and porti poty get full, I put in in the plastic tub, throw it in the car, and head up the Palo Escopeta road. On this road I have found quiet, remote areas with soft earth. I dig a pit and dispose of our waste. I have gone back to the same area and have not have animals dig up our waste.
Like our burning of garbage, disposing of our waste this way may not be the best idea, but I believe is a big improvement of using the beach area.
I have spent over 30 years camping baja, love it, and I hope these ideas help. Ron
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 06:32 AM

Some good ideas. Got me thinking and I found this little tent. http://www.nwbackpack.com/products/stansport_cabana_privacy_...
Sure beats going out to the snake pit for some privacy.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 06:34 AM

"What I saw at this dump was the worst sight I have ever seen in Baja, or anywhere else in my life. As far as my eyes could see, trash blowing in every direction, with no attempt to bury or recycle. Out of sight, out of mind, in the middle of the desert. I am not slamming the Mexican government, just trying to do my part in helping."

This is all too common in many Baja towns... There are places trying to improve on this, however.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 06:42 AM

Sorry Ron dumping your waste in a hole in the desert is NOT low-impact.
It is the worst thing you could do.
You need to take your waste to a dumping station where it can be treated.
Someone owns the land you are dumping at weather you think so or not.
Can I come to your house and dig a hole in your back yard for my waste?
Think about this.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 06:49 AM

In viet nam we used cans and burned our waste when there were no disposil facilities available just a little diesel fuel will reduce it to ashes

[Edited on 8-23-2009 by jimgrms]
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
Sorry Ron dumping your waste in a hole in the desert is NOT low-impact.
It is the worst thing you could do.
You need to take your waste to a dumping station where it can be treated.
Someone owns the land you are dumping at weather you think so or not.
Can I come to your house and dig a hole in your back yard for my waste?
Think about this.

Have you ever camped? Do the coyotes and cows in Baja go to a dump station? I think some appreciation should be shown for Ron's concern about the terrible Mexican habit of throwing garbage in the desert.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 10:17 AM

thank you for your post Ron...perhaps it will inspire others to think about this issue and even act on it....it would be fantastic if every camper/visitor to baja would do even a little bit to reduce their impact.
It isnt all that difficult...with a little thought and organization, it is easy. I love your idea to not buy things that arent recyclable.

I would love to see visitors buy more locally...fresh fruit, veggies, meats, fish without packaging. I am always amazed at the amount of garbage our guests leave behind...literally thousands of plastic water bottles, plastic packaging from food they bring from costco etc.

Our rentals all have 5 gallon drinking water jugs and i ask that people do not bring the little bottles...but they still do.

we had a spanish immersion group of teenagers here for a week and part of their course was low impact camping...the kids had to pack and bring back to the states in their packs all garbage they produced so they were very picky what they bought when they went to the store...it was a very enlightening process indeed.

thank you for your thoughtfullness ron and a good idea for a post.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 10:18 AM

David K low impact camping means you haul out your trash.
Human waste that is disposed in a hole in the desert is not low impact.
I am sure you would not someone come to your back yard and dig a hole for their motorhome or trailer human waste would you?
There are dump stations for campers in baja.
You need to make an effort to find them.
Only the lazy and ignorant would dump their human waste in the desert.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 10:29 AM

Quote:

Thank you for your opinion of most all the local residents of Baja. That is the type of dump that most all communities set up.

Yeah, Ron, cart around your three weeks worth of waste till you hit the border.:rolleyes:

Get REAL, Kat.

KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 10:34 AM

What do you do with your waste in a National Forest in the USA?
Answer that.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 10:46 AM

"How to Sh*t in the Woods" an enviornmentally friendly approach to a lost art. By Kathleen Meyer.

Everyone who has ever felt the urge while outdoors should read this book.

Chaper 2, Digging the hole. Why and how and where to dig an environmentally sound hole.

http://www.kathleeninthewoods.com/abtbooks.htm

Do a googleseach on the book title and you will find the table of contents, plus more.

It can be done.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
What do you do with your waste in a National Forest in the USA?
Answer that.

I bury it, just like in Baja, or any other remote place. (human waste, that is, NOT trash------that I haul out, always!!!)

It only becomes a problem if the area is heavily used by many humans----use common sense and go the extra mile to find an unused location, out of a direct watercourse, and bury all your human waste and paper out of compassion for the next human that happens along.

-----and peeing in the wilderness is NOT a problem---just do it.

-----like David says, look to the animals for guidance, and then improve on it by burying it. If I had to jump thru the hoops that KAT54 proposes, I would quit camping altogether.

----but I certainly applaud Ron for his ideas, and that IS a better way.

Barry

[Edited on 8-23-2009 by Barry A.]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
David K low impact camping means you haul out your trash.
Human waste that is disposed in a hole in the desert is not low impact.
I am sure you would not someone come to your back yard and dig a hole for their motorhome or trailer human waste would you?
There are dump stations for campers in baja.
You need to make an effort to find them.

i think KAT thinks "camping" refers to a motorhome/trailer setup. what about tent camping or just laying yourself on the beach for the night? it would be ignorant to dump your motorhome waste in a hole.

BTW, most locals dig a hole about 8'deep, surround it on 4 sides with plywood but sometimes only 3 sides and proceed to "dump" for years.

KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 11:31 AM

"I bury it, just like in Baja" well Barry A that is a $5000 fine.
Hope next time you get caught.
Education is the only thing that will change this disrespect of our neighbors to the south.
You guys think just because you are in Mexico you can do anything you want.
After all you are going back after vacation anyway.
And, what does one little hole full of human waste really hurt?
Again, would you allow anyone to dump in your back yard?
The arrogance of you all.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Education is the only thing that will change this disrespect of our neighbors to the south.

Kat----------where are you COMING FROM????? I was a permanent LE Ranger for US Forest Service, National Park Service, and the Bureau of Land Management and there was NO FINE at all for disposing of your human waste in a hole (NOT including the contents of a "holding tank", which I have never had----THAT is illegal). Only in heavily used areas is there ANY RULES for disposal of human waste for back country camping (not RV's).

Your strong statement is "out there" it seems to me, un-informed, and very arrogant!!! (speaking of arrogant) :?:

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

Kat----------where are you COMING FROM????? I was a permanent LE Ranger for US Forest Service, National Park Service, and the Bureau of Land Management and there was NO FINE at all for disposing of your human waste in a hole (NOT including the contents of a "holding tank", which I have never had----THAT is illegal). Only in heavily used areas is there ANY RULES for disposal of human waste for back country camping (not RV's).

Your strong statement is "out there" it seems to me, un-informed, and very arrogant!!! (speaking of arrogant) :?:

Barry

barry, i have seen many heavily used camp sites where a trip into the bushes is like walking in a mine field. just because it may be legal does not mean it is pleasant to camp at a heavily used site after you have been there and left a loaf along with 300 previous visitors. yuck!
in the desert, things biodegrade very slowly, for instance paper often takes many years to decades to degrade
leave no trace!
pack it in pack it out!
yes we can!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 12:05 PM

Mt. Goat--------you are totally correct, but I respectfully ask you to go back and read my posts-------I specifically exempted "heavily used areas" from my statements. It seemed to me that Kat was referring to back country camping in general, as many of us do in Baja, and to that reference I thought/think that his/her statements are extreme, mis-leading, and unreasonable.

Anyplace in the USA that is a "designated camp site/area"(i.e. "heavily used") has rules for the disposal of waste, for the reasons you so correctly point out. Not so in the remote, and wild areas where camping is a rarity, but where folks like me tend to camp.

In Baja, where the rules for camping are lacking, one has to use common sense and not contribute to a problem that obviously may be developing, like you say.

The casual dumping of "holding tanks" is alway illegal and/or insensitive, for obvious reasons, and no thinking person would do that unless some type of emergency, and then they should make an effort to clean up the mess, if possible.

Your points are very well taken, tho.

Barry
KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 12:50 PM

You guys need to read the original post.
Three weeks two people in five gallon buckets.
Let us say three days for a bucket.
That is seven buckets or 35 gallons.
That is alot of human waste to bury.
Now, total all the visitors that winter in baja.
Low impact, I think not.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 01:26 PM

Just discreetly dump it down a Pemex toilet. There's sure to be some sort of huge problem with that as well, but I've done it with my travel pee can with no problems.
Baja dump stations:
http://www.sanidumps.com/sanidumps_mex.php?id=67
http://www.sanidumps.com/sanidumps_mex.php?id=68
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 01:41 PM
Easy solution

The Porta Potty.

Took it everywhere...it never leaked...never smelled. The "holding tank" was large enough to hold several days worth of #2. It easily detached & fit in a large beach bag. Take it into a restroom & poured it in the toilet....

Flush.....Bye Bye

Tried to show a pic...didn't work...here it is if you want to see a similar one

http://www.rei.com/zoom/759745.jpg/150

[Edited on 8-23-2009 by jeans]

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.