[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 01:44 PM
MY LOW IMPACT CRAPPER WAS HERE

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
You guys need to read the original post.
Three weeks two people in five gallon buckets.
Let us say three days for a bucket.
That is seven buckets or 35 gallons.
That is alot of human waste to bury.
Now, total all the visitors that winter in baja.
Low impact, I think not.

I still question your assumptions and conclusions here---------when 4 of us canoed the Green River (Green River, Ut to the confluence with the Colorado River) we were "on the river" for 10 total days. We had one (1) 5 gal. bucket for our adventure and it easily contained the human-waste for the entire trip (10 days x 4 adults)----and yes, we took it with us (as required by the BLM/NPS) on the jet-boat pickup back to Moab, Ut. and disposed of the contents in an "approved" dump-site---no problem. We also hauled out ALL our trash, which was no small task being in two 17 foot canoes.

I think that Ron's idea is a good one, and fills the bill, so to speak.

When you make things so difficult to comply with, and possibly unreasonable, people naturally don't comply. I would much rather simplify things, and gain some compliance--------I think that Ron's ideas are workable, admirable, and I am very glad he posted this Thread.

Tho it is slowly being changed and improved, many back country sites within the USA National Park System (etc.) have the old-type pit toilets where litterally thousands of gallons of untreated sewage is deposited directly into the ground each year (no "vaults")----------not good, but it worked for years, especially in a desert environment out of water-courses.

I won't go into the math of animals depositing their affluent on the ground------it would stagger one's imagination!!!!

I believe that you are exagerating the problem, and thereby inviting non-compliance, tho I am positive you mean well.

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 01:49 PM

More importantly, when in hotel pools, how many Nomads pee in the pool vs getting out to pee in the facilities?

I already know that all of you pee when swimming in ocean.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 01:58 PM

Good God, Goat--------I have NEVER done that!!!!! GROSS!!!!!!

-------what ARE you thinking?????? :o

Barry
Ron_Perry
Junior Nomad

Mood: yearning for baja

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 02:24 PM

Hi again, thanks for the comments, pro and con.
A few items I forgot. One is I usually buy two 5 gallon water bottles that are sold at most small markets, along with a pump made for these bottles. Maybe two one gallon water jugs with screw type lids for the ride down. Refill the gallon jugs for a quick rinse after surfing, or a quick shower. This beats several small plastic container for a trip.
I also use a 5 gallon propane bottle to cook with, and for light at night. I use a stove and small grill for fish. The small propane bottles I don't think are recyclable.
About the burying of waste. Are there any waste disposal sites in Baja? As in most parks, and marinas in the U.S.? I cannot remember seeing any in Baja.
I would guess that for two people in three weeks, the waste would add up to about 18 gallons. The idea of dumping waste at a Pemex sounds like an idea, but are the waste treatment plants in Baja sufficient? The river draining into the lagoon at San Jose del Cabo always smell...questionable.
I am not sure the what the exact right answer is, but my feeling is that completely burying waste at an isolated site may be a good solution, compared to using the campground site. Thanks again for the comments, Ron
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 02:42 PM

The small propane cylinders are refillable at a cost of about 40 cents. Harbor Freight sells the little gizmo that attaches to a 5 Gal. Propane tank. Works like a charm, but some leak.

No worries
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 02:43 PM

do you know what the honey trucks do with the waste that they take out of septic tanks all over baja?
guess what they take it to the dump and just dump it. tell me where they have the waste plants here in baja.
when they clean out septic we have 4 they have taken the waste to the city dump.
no waste stations at least from Ensenada until maybe the next state baja sur somewhere in cabo? Maybe

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 02:51 PM

In days of old
When knights were bold
And toilets weren't invented,
They left their load
Along the road
And walked off so contented.

A childhood ditty; author unknown

Taken from the book I mentioned above;

"The ocean is quite capable of breaking down a few turds....specially safe when tossed into a moving, deep water column of water of 12 feet or more....it's only sensible to stay away from small bays, harbors and beaches where sludge might wash ashore before breaking up..."

It can be done.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 03:24 PM

Another approach that works well.....During the 1960's when we use to run alot of the big rivers in the West ( before permits were required) there was no control over the pooping scene and what would happen to the human waste. Many of the nice desert beaches and overnight spots were getting slammed hard! We instructors at the Colorado Outward Bound School used a method for #2 waste that turnred out to be very successful.... We hauled alot of old newspapers, in a support raft, and everyone was required to crap on top of it and roll it up and fold it and deposit it in an old steel millitary surplus amo box, that the lid coud be dogged down and was water proof. As well, folks were required to burn their toilet paper on the spot. It takes 20 years for paper to decpmpose in a desert atmosphere. At the end of each trip everyone helped dumping the rotten cargo into huge pile near a determined dump site. A couple of gallons of diesel was poured on and then torched. Things were raked up and then mixxed with a couple of bags of compost soil. We have used this system in Baja alot also. Nowdays campers need to get creative. There is just to many of us. ++C++ :light:::light:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 03:46 PM

Crusoe I think you have the right ideas. Perhaps I'm spoiled, but I just never find it necessary to camp ANYWHERE that is so over-run with humans that their waste becomes a problem. I wouldn't call that camping. I cannot think of a time I have left a deposit in Baja that I had the slightest worry that that organic material was ever going to be a problem for another person or the environment.

Now if you want to get me fired-up...lets talk abut the slack mouthed, watery-eyed, empty headed marooons who throw their bottles of urine all along the sides of I-5 up here!:fire:

[Edited on 8-23-2009 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 04:01 PM

Perhaps the only thing that will work to this guy's satisfaction would be to place each deposit of feces (along with the one square of biodegradable toilet paper) into reusable receptacles, bring it all back across the border, and then add the contents to a special purpose compost pile of which contents would be later used as a soil supplement for garden plants of the non-consumption variety. If you really want to get into it, you could install a marine type Electro-San waste processing unit in your truck or van, but that uses electricity and salt water which is irresponsible. Perhaps some outdoor adventure outfitting store might sell some specially designed food that will lower your daily feces output to an easily manageable one small pellet per day. Perhaps it would benefit to use a special feces collection unit that effectively seals the buttocks surface area from the atmosphere and run the resulting gasses through a special filter unit of which cartridges cost $49.99 apiece. This may all be the responsible thing to do, but it would seem that your entire day would be dedicated to personal sewage containment leaving little time for hiking and other activities.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 04:21 PM

and what about the poor coyotes? if nobody craps in a hole anymore, the scraggly critters will actually have to work for their dinner!:P

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 04:25 PM

What do fish do in the ocean?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
What do fish do in the ocean?

Undoubtably the same thing as MtGoat does :P (ohhhhh, that is a cheap shot-----sorry MtGoat)

:lol:

Barry
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 06:18 PM

In many of the sensitive areas(above timberline and at pristine and over- run alpine lakes) in the Natl. Parks, the Park Service, contracts out with a helicopter operator to haul out full 250lb. plastic containers full of poop from high country outhouses.They fly in an empty and it is exchanged by the back country rangers. There is one very close to the summit of the Grand Teton and boy does it stink. And here in Olympic Natl. Park they have a few as well. All is good until they lose a fully loaded one. This actually happened 2 years ago as the heli was taking off. He got about 150ft. up and his line let go and down came the Sh}T Bomb!!! Almost burrying the poor rangers. There was crap everywhere!! Took them weeks to clean it up. Yikes...:lol: ++C++
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
In many of the sensitive areas(above timberline and at pristine and over- run alpine lakes) in the Natl. Parks, the Park Service, contracts out with a helicopter operator to haul out full 250lb. plastic containers full of poop from high country outhouses.They fly in an empty and it is exchanged by the back country rangers. There is one very close to the summit of the Grand Teton and boy does it stink. And here in Olympic Natl. Park they have a few as well. All is good until they lose a fully loaded one. This actually happened 2 years ago as the heli was taking off. He got about 150ft. up and his line let go and down came the Sh}T Bomb!!! Almost burrying the poor rangers. There was crap everywhere!! Took them weeks to clean it up. Yikes...:lol: ++C++

I retired just in time to avoid that fun. :lol:

Barry
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 06:25 PM

Low impact...I usually just squat a bit lower to the ground....:lol:

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 07:51 PM

I can only imagine pulling into a military checkpoint and having the soldiers dig into one of the 5 gallon containers of crap!!! They would think you were a crazy....:lol:

I think some of your intentions are good, just not realistic. Take a shovel and bury your waste - it's more than the animals do!!!

As far as burning waste with diesel for you tree huggers out there - doesn't the burning fuel hurt the environment in other ways???
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-23-2009 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Low impact...I usually just squat a bit lower to the ground....:lol:

Zac... RIGHT ON!!!:lol::light::yes:;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2009 at 09:45 AM

To climb Mt. Whitney they issue bags that you crap in, double seal, and pack out. I did that - very effective. Could be used in conjunction with other methods. In isolated areas of Baja, when one craps in a hole once, covers it with a large rock and burns the toilet paper, then moves on, IMHO there is little effect. In heavily used beach campgrounds, where RVs dump in the bays and everyone is strewing their TP around and it stinks, yeah - something's gotta change and in that case, I think we should make every effort to not contribute to the situation, perhaps using a method suggested here. Once these issues are understood and people take personal responsibility, things will begin to change.

Crusoe - have you been to Lake Constance recently? I would love to see what the reforestation areas that I worked on look like now.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.