Author: Subject: Baja Camera Walkabout - ''Close Encounters of the Baja Kind"
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Enjoy life, Roger... :biggrin:

Ain't it great!!!! I enjoy each and every post Pomp makes.

You go, guy!!!! :spingrin:

Barry
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Maybe I am out of line for asking, but as one whose entire family enjoys your photo's and your humor, we were curious what happened to your other "co-pilot?"

Uh....NONE of our business :saint: :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Maybe I am out of line for asking, but as one whose entire family enjoys your photo's and your humor, we were curious what happened to your other "co-pilot?"

Uh....NONE of our business :saint: :cool:

Yeah I know, I know. Pompano and a few others have become household names around here and a few were just curious. You know how some women are...especially mine.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 11-21-2011 at 06:58 PM

Great viewing and thanks so much for sharing.

bacquito
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-25-2011 at 04:29 PM
Lake Chapala - BOLA turn-off - Jesus Maria - Laguna Manuela

Lake Chapala - Pta. Prieta - Jesus Maria

So little is written in trip reports about these places that I thought I'd best snap a few photos and show the folks in North Dakota that part of Baja, too. After all, Baja is so much more than beaches and fishing. :yes:

So here we go. Imagine you are driving south from Catavina....

There's nothing like a drive in the hills of Baja. Lifts the soul. Put on some slow low classical and cruise...

Still lots and lots of the unique cardon and boonjums/cirios

There it is up ahead....Lake Chapala. Usually as dry as a missionary's beer stein, but I've seen it flooded, and once...even blanketed with snow.

Living in this land of few rules, you can practice the finer arts of balancing stuff atop your pickup.

GEOLOGICAL HISTORY CONCERNING LAKE CHAPALA:

. (For those Nomads who were snoring with me during high school geology class, B.P. stands for ‘Before Physics’, meaning specifically before the introduction of radiocarbon-dating - meaning pre-1950 AD

I know, I know, scientists are like this. They could just compute the date to BC, right? Sheesh….I have to pal with a few like mi amigo, Randy….very anal and shootable creatures.)

Prior to 9070 yr B.P. (7120 B.C. dammit!) and perhaps during the late Pleistocene Age, a future site of human habitation was submerged beneath the surface of Lake Chapala. Between 9070 and 6800 yr B.P., after the lake retreated, hunter-gatherers lived at the site on a sandy beach near a lower stand of Lake Chapala.

The geologic history of Pluvial Lake Chapala provides evidence of a long sequence of hunter-gatherer lake environments, probably dating back to the late Pleistocene. Evidence of a high lake stand predates 9000 yr B.P.

Normal faulting in the southwestern corner of the Laguna Chapala basin reduced hydrologic limits to modern levels, and promoted erosion of lacustrine deposits under a pluvial precipitation regime. Desiccation and rapid growth of sand dunes occurred after 7600 yr B.P. Prime dune-buggy country indeed! Can you see Fred Flinstone on his stone-wheeled rail??

BOLA TURN-OFF

Coming up on the turnoff to BOLA to the east...left to you southbounders.

Need some gas?...Watch for sights like this. The out-of-the-way fuel just costs a leeetle more than the Pemex stations..

This old site has good parking/ camping for any size rig. Also offers good shade in case you pull in during the summer. This is an old Pemex station.

And...about 80-some miles further south....

We made good time on the straightaways and even the few miles of construction area was not that bad......and soon Jesus Maria comes into view.

Gas, diesel, and sundries available here. - p.s. just what the hell is a sundry,anyway?

I was just coming up the Baja Road the other day, November 8th, 2010 … and when I came to Jesus Maria to have my regular tres carne burritos-to- go from CARMELITA’S TAMALES.....I happened to notice a handy tire shop...a llantera.

So I pulled in with my motorhome. I wanted to see if any of my six tires needed any aire. They take 70 lbs for highway use.

25 lbs if I am dunebuggying with the old Southwind 34’! :rolleyes:

I had the good fortune to meet a nice guy….Isaac…Taller Mecanico “Chakin”..and some of his friends.

Isaac quickly checked out all 6 tires and reported them all good…bene. Little things like correct air pressure make me feel good.

I liked the look and feel of Isaac’s tire shop, so I decided to have him look at a problem with the motorhome that has plagued me for months. The dang electric step for the motorhome doorway has been sticking all across the nation. I crawl underneath, wiggle wires, check ends & corrosion... and then use my last resort..... bang the motor with a hammer. And it works..for a while. :yes:

I asked Isaac if he knew any auto electric guys around town.

He grinned and said, “ Si..me”

Hah..I knew I had come to the right place then. He first checked the switches on the inside controlling the step…they were live and good…so then he crawled underneath to check the motor.

While Isaac was underneath working on the step..and his buddies giving him encouragement, I wandered around the place.

I love workshops, garages, and the smells. Takes me way back in time.

Reminds me of my Uncle Norman’s farm blacksmithy. Ah..those were the days…

I look back to check on Isaac …still underneath, but I hear the motor buzzing away. Sounds like good progress to me!

Did you ever get to play with a block and tackle as a kid? I DID! I merrily hoisted and hoisted..and only dropped the engine on my foot once. Trust me..do it once..and you never will do it twice!!
Enough nostalgia..back to the present problem of the dang step.

Best check on Isaac again......

…...WHOA!!...WOW!...HOT TAMALES!!

JUST KIDDING…Isaac is a good guy and a great mechanic, but he ain’t nearly that good-looking. However, he fixed the Southwind’s electric step in a very short time and was a real pleasure to visit with besides. On my travels from ND to Baja, I had received estimates from many RV service centers...ranging from 250 bucks to almost $600. Forget that, I said...and kept banging away with my hammer.

I was very satisfied with Isaac’s fix … and asked how much I owed him? He smiled and said “100 pesos, Rogelio.” Damn, now that was WAY too little, but I could not offend a new amigo by giving him WAY too much…so we settled on 150 pesos. Still the best damn bargain you will ever find.

Salud, Isaac. Bravo!

Isaac Valadez Aquilar
Ejido Villa Jesus Maria, B.C. Km 95
Carretera Transpenisular
TALLER MECHANICO “CHAKIN”

SHARK FISHERMEN OF LAGUNA MANUELA

A BAJA LEGEND – CARMELITA THE TAMALE LADY

It used to be that no stop in Jesus Maria can be made without a visit to the famous Carmelita's Burritos.

IN FOND MEMORY - CARMELITA PHOTOS:

HER HUBBY RUNS IT NOW

CURRENT LOCATION

OLD SITE FOR VAN

.............My usual order = 3 for the road. Lasts about 3 miles..........

Sad to say, another Baja legend has passed.

As we drive on south I fondly recall a great gal... Rest in peace, Carmelita.

[Edited on 11-24-2013 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-25-2011 at 05:05 PM

She was so awesome! Proudly displayed my old Viva Baja sticker above her van doors (given to her by Fishin' Rich back in 2003 or so). I gave her a 'got baja?' sticker for her add on dining room in 2007.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2011 at 07:18 PM
El Rosario - BOLA turnoff

... is the best section of the entire 1000 mile highway.

I never get tired of seeing it. Never get tired of driving it. It was a love affair from the start. The heart of the peninsula, it doesn't get photographed enough IMO.

Thanks, Roger.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2011 at 07:42 AM

Another fantastic photo essay by Pompano. Txs for taking the time to do it.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-26-2011 at 11:48 AM

Yes, Pomp-------just GREAT!!!!

Many thanks again.

Barry
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2011 at 09:37 PM

Skipjack Joe: yes. Best part of transpeninsular.

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 08:58 AM

Came through that section on Wednesday...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 09:15 AM

:):):)

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 09:20 AM

Now that's what Im talkin about. :bounce:
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 10:50 AM

Nobody can put a story together quite like Roger
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 08:47 PM
LONG DESERT HIGHWAY FROM VISCAINO-ASUNCION-AND HOME TO COYOTE BAY WITH A COLD

VIZCAINO - ASUNCION AT SHARI AND JUAN'S

.. Merry Christmas?...Bah, Humbug!....Hugged 45 people yesterday and today......so naturally I am now down with a code in my node and cabeza. Happens every year...so When will I ever learn!..:rolleyes:...sigh.

Enjoy the pics and CAPTION THEM IF YOU LIKE...AND AS YOU LIKE.

Enter photos stage left...sniff...HACK!...COUGH!...(warning: come near me again with a hug in mind, I'll strangle you with a Xmas stocking..

..... except for Co-pilot.) :rolleyes:

Ah..Home. Unpack manana...maybe..

Co-pile, I could ud ah ches rub wi Vicks...ahh-chooo!

[Edited on 2-26-2015 by Pompano]

North2U

[*] posted on 12-16-2011 at 09:06 PM

Roger, I've met you only in passing at Saul's, once. But, I always look forward to your pictorial postings.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 06:36 AM

If it is not the scenery, it is the people. If it is not the people, it is the food. Thanks Roger, makes me want to hit the road again.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 12-17-2011 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

[Edited on 12-17-2011 by Pompano]

My boys were happy to see Campo Sirena and it looked like the fire pit they built for their Cub Scout badge was still there from a couple of weeks ago;D

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 09:39 PM
SAN IGNACIO

SAN IGNACIO

Hola amigos, still heading south on the Baja Highway?

Okay..bueno!

Notice: If you have cleared this Mexican Army checkpoint about 80 miles east of Guerrero Negro…..

…then the next town you will come to is:

San Ignacio..Old-time Baja, peaceful, unassuming

(note: I receive no dinero, freebies, gifts, or services from any cafes, rv parks, massage parlors or Pemex stations...why not?)

On a fertile ravine 89 miles south of Guerrero Negro you'll find the beautiful town of San Ignacio in Baja California Sur…...

or you might just breeze on by. It all depends on whether you are: on a 'quest'...or traveling?

Hey, glad you decided to take a look. Let’s go!

The access road, about two kilometers (1.3 miles) from the transpeninsular highway, allows you to enter into a fantasy landscape, a magnificent contrast to the mysterious sierras and the drought of the desert…not to mention the gritty dust storms and that pesky radar cop south of GN.

On the way into the center of town, you'll pass over an underground river that bubbles into a quiet lagoon bordered with red grass ....

....and shaded by huge date palm trees. If you're driving the peninsula, this true desert oasis is a refreshing stopover. The road continues through a scenic palm forest…

until it reaches a small classic plaza.

This square…zocalo…is decorated by six leafy Indian Laurel trees.

San Ignacio’s town square was once an overnight campsite for us in my smaller 24’ Minnie Winnie. I had just drove in and parked about 1 hour before sundown…and not wanting to leave that nice place, asked permission from the local policia to stay there for the night. He noted the small motorhome, grinned at the two of us, and recommended a friend’s taco stand.

We were very grateful to sleep under those India trees that night. Peaceful, tranquil, and when we got hungry, just a few steps to a bacon-wrapped hot dog or tasty taco.

Respectfully and with thanks, we had a very pleasant night, then coffee and fresh OJ the next morning with huevos rancheros…and we contentedly got back on the Baja Road ….for Coyote Bay.

The majestic church of San Ignacio de Loyola rises at the front of this plaza. Narrow little streets and antique houses converge at this spot.

Some functions of church:

Ww-w-weddings..

Ww-w-weddings create more ww-w-weddiings.

Some prefer less-confining areas...like the seven seas.

"You have 1 unheard message in your mailbox.. from the Tackle Box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2VhB7vaZI0 "

History …… which I know everybody loves to read with their morning coffee…or evening c-cktails. Well, almost everybody.. :rolleyes:

The place that the Cochimes call Kadacaaman (red grass river) was "discovered" on November 19, 1716 by the Jesuit Father Francisco Maria Piccolo.

Founded in the early 18th century by Jesuit missionaries, San Ignacio was and still is an earthy, unassuming small town in the middle of (almost) nowhere. The missionaries planted orange and fig trees as well as the date palms that still flourish beside the steep banks of the adjacent river. The main part of town is just a few streets deep, surrounding the main plaza.

The founding father of the mission, begun on January 20, 1778, was the Mexican Jesuit Juan Bautista Luyando, who devoted much of his life to the mission and its people. This mission, Iglesia de San Ignacio de Loyola, was finished by Dominicans after the Pope ordered the expulsion of their Jesuit brethren. So much for respecting founding fathers…Jesuits and Dominicans were not compadres, it seems. In fact, the Jesuits were thrown out of all of Mexico around 1725 or so. They must have done something very bad…or perhaps something very good? What do I know?…I’m a follower of Thor and Summanus, the Thunder Gods, especially after the Mulege Chii-Cookoffs.

Back to the commanding Dominicans. Very concerned with the physical appearance and grandeur of their churches and monasteries, the Dominicans created in San Ignacio one of Baja's loveliest churches. The design is a Latin cross motif, Gucci décor, and the exterior impressive with its volcanic rock façade. Not a Taj Mahal, but muy impresionante ..very impressive…..for a Baja Cochimi village. I mean, come on!…I’ll bet not more than 2 or 3 of those native Cochis had ever visited Rome or Gay Paree .

Jesuit Fernando Consag was responsible for much of the construction of the church, utilizing 4 feet wide blocks of volcanic rock which originated from the nearby volcanoes, Las Tres Virgenes… although I doubt Fernando hefted any himself. You don’t want to drop one of those on your toe. Construction was completed in 1786. No records are apparent for the amount of native labor it must have taken to complete the heavy volcanic rock structure…or whether the natives had a signed work contract, formed a union, or were merely enslaved and/or saved. :rolleyes: Due to its solid walls, the building has barely changed over the years and is one of the most beautiful missions in the Baja California peninsula.

In addition to the magnificent facade with it's decorated, carved stone, the building's interior consists of a great alter of carved wood and gold finish, seven oil paintings and a statue of San Ignacio de Loyola. These are truly jewels of religious art of the XVII century. A visit to the church is one of the highlights of San Ignacio.

Hey, It’s a real cool place, try it.

Especially cool during the hot times in July, August, and September…. thanks to those huge, massive blocks that must have been so hard to move. :rolleyes:

Attractions

The fresh water lagoon, surrounding orchards, the dates palms (reportedly first imported here in Baja) and a scenic walkway to town make San Ignacio an ideal refuge for the soul.

The untouched beauty of this oasis and its surrounding areas speak for themselves. In the winter, the placid waters turn into a river running from twelve to eighteen miles. In the summertime, the river becomes a spring with countless fresh water pools, where species such as the Israel Carp, Fresh Water Turtle and Bullfrog thrive. Fresh pompano are seen splashing at times, but are on the list of un-gendered species.

San Ignacio provides the eco-tourist with excellent options. San Ignacio is the gateway to the cave paintings area in the Sierra of San Francisco, distinguished by UNESCO as a Patrimony of Humanity. To visit caves such as La Pintada & El Ratón, it is necessary to contact the INAH, next to the mission, where you can learn the rules and regulations and obtain the proper permits. No one is allowed to visit these pristine sites without a registered guide. INAH will provide the guides for a fee.

The Sierra de San Francisco, near San Ignacio, contains more than 500 cave paintings, estimated to be over 10,000 years old. Anthropologists are unsure who created these paintings or why??.. ..

………… but there are some un-confirmed rumors:

One can only imagine why the unknown artists painted certain subjects. One popular theory: They were frustrated graffiti taggers. (No freight trains, bridges or old vehicles to decorate.)

Central Baja boasts more rock art than the more famous sites in France and Spain. Located within a 12 sq. km area, most of the paintings are found high (around 10m) above ground. The two most accessible sites are Cueva el Ratón and Santa Marta. Before heading out on your own, you must register at the Museo de Pinturas Rupestres in San Ignacio. (Visiting permit 34 pesos per person; camera or video camera use 35 pesos.) The staff there will radio ahead to the caves to arrange for an official to meet you and guide you to the sites.

To reach Santa Marta, drive 20km east on Mex. 1 and take a left on a marked dirt road. After 37km, you will reach the base and your guide (180 pesos for a group of 3.) It’s another 1hr. hike to reach the cave.

To reach Cueva el Ratón, drive 40km north on Mex. 1 and take a right on a marked dirt road. Travel on the road for 37km. The caves are a short walk in, making el Ratón a cheaper option (guide 80 pesos for a group of 3).

EcoTurismo Kuyima, on the zócalo in San Ignacio, takes groups on daytrips to both sites. www.kuyima.com. Groups of 2-3 people US$70 per person. Open M-Sa 8am-1pm and 3-8pm).

A trip into the Sierra San Francisco to look at the actual, wonderful, colorful cave and rock paintings is one of the main reasons visitors come to San Ignacio. North of town in the mountains is La Cueva Pintada ("painted cave"), where artists painted walls 150 meters (about 500 feet) high, and cave ceilings, with depictions of birds, fish, and other animals, including humans male and female.

Designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1993, the Sierra San Francisco has other rock paintings as well, accessible to adventurous, curious travelers on foot or burro, or sometimes by jeep. The best season to visit is November through February, when nights are chilly to cold but days are not too hot.

San Ignacio Lagoon

San Ignacio offers another attraction; San Ignacio Lagoon, one of the shelters of the grey whale. Near the lagoon you'll find places for sport fishing, surfing and scuba diving. Guided tours are strongly recommended. Information should be provided at hotel desks.

Apart from its drowsy desert appeal and proximity to prehistoric rock paintings, people also visit San Ignacio is to see the gray whales which tarry during the winter months in nearby San Ignacio Lagoon (note that San Ignacio itself is not on the Pacific). Along with Mag Bag (Bahía de Magdalena) and Scammon's Lagoon (Laguna Ojo de Liebre), Laguna San Ignacio is one of the best places in the world to admire up close---and even caress---these gargantuan aquatic creatures.

Their annual migration, the longest of any mammal, brings them from the Bering Sea/Arctic Circle to mate or give birth to young. After regaining their strength and nurturing their young, the whales usually begin returning to their northern feeding grounds around March.

Local fishermen work as guides from January to April. They are available to take your group out on the lagoon in pangas. During these trips visitors are often surrounded by grey whales of all ages and sizes.

Some whales will surface very near your boat, close enough to touch, Often, many other whales can be seen in the distance spy hopping, and occasionally breaching (leaping nearly completely out of the water).

THAR SHE BLOWS!! ?? (brace yourselves!?….

Naw, not today, folks...I trying hard to keep this report informative and helpful…plus my ‘Rubenesque Spouter’ would be censored, anyway.)

WHALES, WHALES, WHALES

The best place on earth to get close enough to touch these friendly, curious animals in their own environment.

Want to caress a whale that just eyeballed you? (No, it’s not your Aunt Mabel…)

Eye-to-eye: an unforgettable encounter. This baby is safely perched on mom's back.

SAN IGNACIO CITY ATTRACTIONS:

The Festival of San Ignacio Loyalo takes place during the last week of July, as does the annual date harvest. The plaza fills with light, music and fun. In this festive atmosphere, you can enjoy horseraces, c-ckfights, dances, the fair and fireworks in one of Baja's prettiest plazas.

San Ignacio has hotels, restaurants, RV parks, a paved runway, a bus depot, and many other services waiting for the tourist.

Practice touch and gos at the local paved airstrip.

San Ignacio lies 142km southeast of Guerrero Negro on Mex. 1, and 72km west of Santa Rosalía. A winding road canopied by swaying date palms leads south from the highway and becomes Luyando at the zócalo. Most activity revolves around the tranquil zócalo, bordered by Luyando to the west, Morelos to the east, Juárez to the north, and Hidalgo to the south.

Bus schedules:

Buses pick up and drop off passengers at the white terminal building adjacent to Mercadito Ravi on Mex. 1. From central San Ignacio, trek north along Luyando and take a left on Mex. 1. Considering the length of the walk, a better bet is to grab a taxi at the zócalo.

--Buses head north to Tijuana (14hr., 1 per day, 805 pesos) and Mexicali (4 per day 8am-11pm, 972 pesos) via Ensenada (13hr., 704 pesos) and Guerrero Negro (2hr., 134 pesos).

--Buses go south to San José del Cabo (3 per day 6:30am-7pm, 769 pesos) and La Paz (3 per day 11am-11pm, 594 pesos) via Santa Rosalía (1hr., 70 pesos), Mulegé (2hr., 129 pesos), and Loreto (3hr., 258 pesos).

When heading south from San Ignacio, the first noticable landmark is Las Tres Vírgenes - The Three Virgins. Sta. Rosalia and Mulege are way down thataway, if that's one of your stops...plus the rest of Baja Sur.

Practical Information around town:

There is no official tourist office, but native English speaker Juaníta Ames at Casa Lereé, on Morelos one block from the zócalo, has handmade maps of the town and nearby hiking trails, along with other useful information.

Laundry … head to Lavandería, on an unnamed dirt road. To get there from the zócalo, walk past the mission and the museum, following the road as it turns, and take your second right. Look for the red-and-white signs about two blocks in. (Wash 30 pesos, dry 30 pesos. Open M-Sa 8am-8pm, Su 8am-3pm.)

Other services include:
Police… on Ocampo and Zaragoza in the Delegación Municipal (☎154 0147);

Pharmacy … Farmacia Ceseña, Madero 24A, one block back from Juárez open M-Sa 9am-1pm and 4-7pm, Su 9am-1pm)

Internet Café… on the zócalo, with fax service (Internet 20 pesos per hr.; open daily 10am-2pm and 4-10pm)

Post office… next to the Delegación Municipal on Ocampo and Zaragoza (open M-F 8am-2pm). Postal code: 23930.

Lodging and Food:

San Ignacio’s few hotels don’t come cheap, and reservations are necessary during El Día de San Ignacio (July 31) and Semana Santa.

If you need to save some pesos, there are several good campsites.

Steeped in San Ignacio history and owned by the unofficial town historian Juanita Ames, Casa Lereé , one block from the corner of Juárez and Morelos, provides three rooms decorated with the works of local artists and set around a large, well-tended garden. Rooms 350 pesos; suites 650 pesos. Cash only.)

Just outside of town on the entry road, Ignacio Springs is a very friendly B&B, where guests stay in riverside cabins and use the hotel’s kayaks for free. www.ignaciosprings.com. Cabins from 580 pesos. MC/V.)

Hotel Posada, a 5min. walk down Cipris from Hidalgo, is a conventional motel with clean rooms furnished with fans. Singles and doubles 250 pesos. Cash only.)

Camping is available in a shady spot right on the water at Lakeside RV Park, next to Ignacio Springs, on the entry road off Mex.1. (Sites 50 pesos.)

Sport Racing, Bar Restaurant, near Casa Lereé, serves the best carne asado tacos (12 pesos) in town and other Mexican specialties in a spot adorned with Baja 1000 off-road racing memorabilia. (Open daily 10am-10pm.)

Right next to the water, Mikasa Café, on the entrance road immediately north of the river crossing, has a simple menu, including tortas (25 pesos) and eggs (50 pesos). After your meal, you can rent a kayak from the cafe for 50 pesos or jump into the river to swim. (Open M-Sa 9am-9pm.)

The seafood (from 85 pesos) on the menu at Restaurant-Bar Rene’s, on Hidalgo, is limited to the day’s catch, but is always deliciously fresh and cooked to perfection. (On a pond just beyond the zócalo. Open daily 7am-10pm. Cash only.)

Family kitchen Restaurant Chalita , on Hidalgo at the zócalo dishes up traditional antojitos for 30-40 pesos. Open daily 8am-10pm. Cash only.)

Taquerías and hot dog stands, right on the zócalo, are the cheapest options.

Groceries, visit Nuevos Almacenes Meza, on the corner of Juárez and Luyando, facing the zócalo. 9742;154 0122. Open M-Sa 8am-noon and 2-6pm, Su 8-noon.)

Sights And Festivals:

San Ignacio blossoms into a huge fiesta complete with singing, dancing, horse races, fireworks, and food during the week-long celebration of El Día de San Ignacio, in honor of the town’s patron saint. Festivities begin on July 22 and end July 31, coinciding with the harvest celebration (July 30), although the harvest doesn’t actually take place until October.

Outdoor Activities:

There are also a number of superb walks through the nearby desert that start minutes from the center of San Ignacio. Juanita Ames, at Casa Lereé, has drawn up detailed maps of the trails. One starts right behind Casa Lereé, heading up, then crossing the Mesa de la Cruz that overlooks the town. The path passes an abandoned army barracks and airfield, along with lots of cacti. A second trail starts on a stony road just north of the El Padrino RV Park. It follows a canyon for about 3 mi. past large and seemingly out-of-place pools of water.

You can also rent a kayak at the Mikasa Cafe, immediately north of the river crossing on the entry road to town (open M-Sa 9am-9pm, 50 pesos) and navigate the very calm water to the end of the Arroyo de San Ignacio for about 3km, where you can swim.

You will like San Ignacio...a place to say Hi to a whale and ...'feel Baja's Magic'

HASTA LA VISTA, AMIGOS!

[Edited on 6-5-2015 by Pompano]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 09:48 PM
pompano

hola,you are a kick !! just read your,,,, milk cow story,,bout died from laughing !!....thank's..from the "KID"....K&T:lol:..ps..edit,,recardo,at rice and bean's is a great family man and a seasond race stop ,for many year's..not to be overlooked !!!

[Edited on 1-7-2012 by captkw]
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.