jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 03:47 PM
We may be seeing places like this

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 03:52 PM
And driving to

Places like this. Here, we have come to the absolute end of a road. This is where we set up camp and started hiking. No, they don't have any precut trails! But the guides are pretty good about that.:light:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 03:54 PM
We may run into

These
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 03:57 PM
Or these

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 04:02 PM
We may have to ride on some of these

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 04:03 PM
Or maybe even these

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 04:12 PM
But we'll be seeing plenty of these

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 04:17 PM
And maybe even some of these

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 04:26 PM
Or even these

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 04:32 PM
If we are expeditious

We will be seeing some of these
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 04:34 PM
And these

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 04:35 PM
But not wanting to beat a

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 04:49 PM
I will go out on a fine note

We will drive as close to the "points of interest" as we can and hopefully use our vehicles as a base camp and be fortunate enough to make just day hikes. Ice cream and videos aren't all that bad.
BUT, I don't think that will be the case as I have seen pretty much where the roads end. So, we will be prepared for backpacking and camping in the wilds, oh my.
When it is decided who is truly interested in going, we will discuss details, form a plan that is acceptable to all, and carry on from there.
And for the "naysayers", it ain't no big thing for the people that actually do this kind of thing and know Baja intimately. These are the kind of folks I am lookin fer.:light:
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 6-25-2004 at 06:58 PM

I hear that Stick Lizards are out early this year in Baja Sur. I hope this keeps anyone away that does not appreciate your efforts. Details about Stick Lizards below:

STICK LIZARDS ARE OUT!

The ubiquitous (but secretive) Stick Lizard came out from hibernation early this year no doubt due to El Nino (La Nina?). As older readers know, the Stick Lizard, first reported to the world by the Calico Print, carries a sharp stick along with it so as to have it handy when the sand gets too hot to travel over. It then sticks the sharp end of the stick into the sand and climbs to the top of the stick into the cooler air. Researchers differ as to whether the feet or the tail is the sensitive part. One researcher observed use of the stick only after the tail started smoking.
Several were observed in an undisclosed area by our correspondent, famous Biologist Allain (more beer!) Schooner, author of the seminal work ?Mating Habits of Albino Pupfish in Hot Tubs? UC Fullerton. Reportedly, they showed no aggression to humans, however a zard of about 15 of them were observed attacking with their sticks and eating pupfish found in an irrigation canal (a zard is a group of Stick Lizards as in ?a covey of quail?).
Travelers should be wary if any aggressive appearing zard approaches them or their vehicle tires. Historically, several tires and a few people have been deflated by Stick Lizards.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 09:23 AM

Neal, are you sure that paper was published by UC Fullerton? I thought it was UC Fresno. I've never actually seen it, but heard about it from a friend who accompanied Allain on one of his expeditions and was attacked by a zard and deflated. (Not totally, just in the upper chest, but the enlargement procedure had been quite expensive so she was very upset.)

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 11:28 AM
Preparedness in the wilds

That's why I always carry a patch kit and bicycle pump in the first aid box. I'd be lost without it!:lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 12:03 PM
Yep

I've seen the pots they cook em in.:light:
I hear it kinda tastes like seagull:lol:
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 04:16 PM

JR
Could you have annoying person pizza instead of soup?
Why was that the end of the road? It still looks pretty flat.
As long as we don't have to ride the snake or eat the burro I'm still interested
burro bob
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2004 at 04:30 PM
Machaca de Gaviota

( no offense Gull!) That is the absolute end of the road because of my absolute laziness when it comes to clearing brush for one nights stay.:light:
Enough room for 3 or 4 chairs, a small table and we have found home for the night.
On the other hand though, I have been known to clear some areas for lengthier stays.
I will keep you posted as far as exact dates as soon as I find out. I am making one more trip down to deliver repellants and stuff and make final arrangements. A lot depends on road conditions as they tend to change yearly during the rainy season.
Do you have a trailer for your burro?

[Edited on 6/27/2004 by jrbaja]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.