Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  37    39    41  ..  68
Author: Subject: Jimena
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:56 AM

Thanks Shari, more road condition reports appreciated from all.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 07:58 AM

Models still show it heading west.

"I" still think it may head north up the SOC.

Jimena 8am pst 9-4-09.JPG - 45kB

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:02 AM

The waters are ALREADY higher than John????...that's unreal....and we can't even get to our house there...sheeesh!....what a tragedy...hope the locals came through ok without to much loss of life.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:05 AM

just heard on the radio that 60% of the casas in Lopez Mateos are trashed...no electricity...no water...cut off from the highway and need supplies flown in now...drinking water, food and medecine as the pharmacy is totally lost so have no medicine..the coop is trashed so the future is bleak...no work...no houses...shelter cannot support the number of people in them...but no loss of life.

I am so glad the radio is working.

the presidente municipal in Mulege was also on the radio and was notably upset and could only repeat things in this county are a mess...no power, no water, houses wrecked, pandemonium and all are seeking assistance by air for supplies....radio cutting in and out...he mentioned something about mud but i doubt he was in mulege village...he was in sta.rosalia...highway cut off in many places

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:10 AM

From early damage reports, it sounds like a grass-roots assistance effort out of the Friendly North may be in order. I wonder how Mexico and the Border Bean Counters will view that.
coho
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:11 AM

Reports have the water over the bridge by 2 feet! Roof off of the fire station with about 3 feet of water.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:12 AM

OMG...we are so sorry and offer our assistance in any way we can...as in john...our homes are open to those in need and we will be sending what we can to mulege....thank you for the report, we have all been so worried. it was reported no loss of life in Mulege county...sure hope that is the case.

docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:18 AM

Shari, so glad to hear you and yours are ok. Hate to lay it on you but how can we help those in need?
Areas that are "trashed" need our help, quickly. If you can, let us know how we can help.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:18 AM

the delegado of mulege is on the radio and says the river is 2 meters higher than John was...and damages much worse...the new hospital did not fare well....one death, an 80 year old man rafael and the radio is cutting in and out and i didnt get his last name. The delegado was upset with people who refused to seek shelter....all hell broke loose...things flying around as well as the water...more wind than john and rain....radio now nearly not transmitting....cut out now.
Much discussion this morning on the radio about how mexicanos never think the storms will affect them...or severly underestimate their strength...which makes me glad I'm married to Juan who is extra cautious and smart....it could have happened here too but we were prepared.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:22 AM

I posted this on the mulege thread as well...so sorry about this bad news.

the delegado of mulege is on the radio and says the river is 2 meters higher than John was...and damages much worse...the new hospital did not fare well....one death, an 80 year old man rafael cuesta i think and the radio is cutting in and out and i didnt get his last name. The delegado was upset with people who refused to seek shelter....all hell broke loose...things flying around as well as the water...more wind than john and rain....radio now nearly not transmitting....cut out now.
Much discussion this morning on the radio about how mexicanos never think the storms will affect them...or severly underestimate their strength...which makes me glad I'm married to Juan who is extra cautious and smart....it could have happened here too but we were prepared.

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:22 AM

My heart goes out to all of you in Mulege, I'm so very very sorry

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:24 AM

Matthew, if you get ahold of your dad, tell him Todd & Allii send love, and best wishes. If he needs anything, please let us know.
Our love
T&A

jls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:38 AM

Is there a viable Red Cross in Mulege or area which can coordinate a fundraising or material support effort? I am sure there are many of us who would happily contribute to a trusted person or group.
docsmom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:38 AM

Our friends in Baja, our Mexican friends, work so hard, and are so proud of the things they have, which might seem so minimal to us. Anytime they're robbed of their hard earned gaines it breaks my heart. They don't have a government to bale them out. After this disaster they will pick up and rebuild and move on as quickly as possible. I'm inspired by their faith and determination, and urge all of us to think about how we can help them. God Bless all those that have sustained the worst of this storm and have lost all they have. I fear that this morning we will begin hearing heartbreaking stories. But out of this crisis will come the stories of hope and faith and rebuilding. And we will come together and build a stronger bond!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:39 AM

Oh geez...and we can't even get in to help...we'll head that way in a day or so with a truckload of supplies....sounds like our house may be gone...oh geez...

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:41 AM

Mulegemichael, so very sorry....What can one say?

lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:42 AM

Just got off the phone with relatives in La Paz who were able to talk to our Mulege relatives. The reports of serious flooding in town and worse than John are terrbile. The one death reported so far is an elderly member of the local Cuesta family & a relative of my daughter's uncle. Other relatives in town have massive flooding and I will update as I get more news from our family in La Paz who has been able to get off and on reports from one phone that the Yee family has working. So, keep Mulege in your thoughts and prayers
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:43 AM

Latest satellite seems to show the bulk of Jimena going to the mainland and a small fragment staying in Baja. I believe 15:15 UST is = 08:15 PDT

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:46 AM
It sure sounds like...

...Survival is 'Job One'...we can wait for more info, just hope everyone is able to keep their heads above water - literally!

Doesn't really help much, but I've always thought the Mission was moved up on that bluff overlooking the river for a good reason - it's the oldest building around that area, those old Padres were pretty smart...and knew how to survive nature's wrath...

Trying to live in that 'lush' location comes with a price, as we've seen in recent years...be safe out there...sure hope everyone had time to head for the hills as the rain began...

If the water is indeed, over the bridge, it could be damaged or swept away - what a 'bind' that will put poor Mulege in...imagine what a detour that would require!

There was flowing water in town during John, higher water this go-around could allow water flowing into the entrance out there on Hwy 1 where the buses stop!

Perhaps Mulege needs to form a 'Reclamation District' and seek funds to build a huge earth-fill dam back in the mountains to contain or restrict these 'floods' and create a new tourist attraction!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-3-2009 at 08:51 AM

Heard from Quito Rosas (Mulege assistant fire chief) to Jimmy Christopher (who is in Nevada) to Dave Rose to John Linderman:

Water was 2 feet over the bridge. That is in line w/the quote from the Delegado cited above.

The following are extrapolations based on Hurricane John flood levels, and the difference at the bridge cited above:
High School- if the buildings held, every room had water over the roof, all contents not washable would be destroyed, library totaled, etc.
Small Primary school below mission- same as High School
At the Y- river flowing over the street by maybe 3 or 4 feet
Icehouse Road- water well over road level & into houses be several feet all the way to the highway
Jorge Yee's park below the bridge- water well over roofs and moving fast
La Fortuna- water above roofs next to river and moving fast, guessing 4-5 feet at entrance
Saul's store- several feet in the store
Alba's grocery on square- 5 feet maybe
I mention the last two because preparations for visiting and aid need to consider lack of groceries in Mulege; if you are taking aid- take food for the needy (canned goods, dry goods, stuff that doesn't need refrigeration) and do not expect food supplies in town.
Orchard Village- water well into second floors, casas along the river & inside street @ upstream end will have been hammered hard by the velocity
Oasis park upstream end- water over roofs
Oasis middle (to Leon's office)- still over roofs, 2' min over my ceiling
Oasis east end- 5-8 feet in house depending on proximity to river & floor build-up level
Jungle Jim's- probably over the ceiling, its low to the river
and so on down the river with water in most rooms @ the Serenidad would be my guess.

These estimates are not news, just my very quick guesses from the only data point we have so far- level at the bridge.

The Mexican population is going to be utterly devastated by this mess.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
 Pages:  1  ..  37    39    41  ..  68

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.