BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The best food in the world!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 01:46 PM
The best food in the world!

Opps... I first posted this in Hook's thread under this new Non-Baja Vacation Trip Reports...so am starting a new one here.

We were mouth-watering about Basque food in general and then a visit I made to Louie's Corner Cafe in Reno some years ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by larry
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Louie's Corner Basque Restaurant in Reno.

Simply the best food in the world.

I have been going there sporadically for many years and stopped last week on the way home from a national park trip. It was an excellent, homecooking style dinner (the lamb roast, sweetbreads, and french fries were extremely good), but "the best food in the world"? For that, I would say a contender is La Cocedora de Langosta in Ensenada--that was the best meal I have had recently.

larry, I haven't been to Louie's in far too long, and will try to get back there soon. Right after I try La Cocedora de Langosta in Ensenada! Hopefully it's close to Papagayos Resort Hotel on the malecon?

All I remember of Louie's Corner is best summed up.. that if you believe that travel includes eating at local restaurants that represent the cultural history of the place, then Louis' Basque Corner is an essential stop. Simple food prepared well, and plenty of it.

It's good old-fashioned family style (...and reminded me of long ago harvest-time when my mother and sister would feed over 20 in our country kitchen.) Louie's diners are seated at tables that accommodate 8-10, but our party of 5 or 6 had a table to ourselves.

You pick an entree..could be sirloin steak, roast pork with mushroom gravy, braised lamb chops, and/or shrimp, etc. etc.. While they're preparing those out come the big tureens of split pea and other soups, tossed salads with a light vinagrette type dressing, Basque beans, also the braised tongue in a tomato (almost creole type) sauce with bell peppers, bread, and, of course, carafes of red wine.

These things aren't brought to the table all at once, they sort of come in waves. Then your entree comes- I recall a pork roast which was perfectly cooked and very lean. I also tried the steak which was cooked as ordered, big and juicy! A heaping plate of hot french fries is also delivered with the entree, as if you didn't already have enough going on at the table. They'll happily supply you with a to-go box because you will need it. If you're still hungry, dinner also comes with ice cream or cheese for dessert.

Also I had a Picon Punch, the famous Basque drink that the bartender can fix for you. Try one, it's delicious and refreshing..made with some kind of orange liquer, brandy and grenadine. (I usually don't do grenadine, but this was better than dessert!)

Dinner costs less than one expected..which was nice. Be hungry when you go and enjoy this place because it's a relic from non-homogenized American dining! Dress is..something that you don't mind staining.

"BUT...."that was yesterday..today is a different day, a different place.

larry, like you said about Louie's....It's not "the best food in the world" ....anymore. Louie's is now passe, there's a new sheriff in town.

Because, you see, nowadays, "the best food in the world " is aboard the charterboat Mariner, skippered by Capt. Dan out of Depoe Bay, Oregon Coast, who is shown with his boat running the entrance of Depoe Bay in a good chop. For those of you who have gone to sea in a blow, you'll appreciate this experience.

The best food?, well I gotta tell you....Those mystery-meat sandwiches were the absolute best...washed down with a cool brew while dropping a baited jig to the waiting canary and widow rockfish below, plus the odd green lingcod. Dan has stout rodholders on the rail for your rig while you firmly hold on to the rail in a pitching sea and eat your sammy with the other.

I also found the pickled herring on a Sunkist cracker with Velveeta chesse was simply dee-lish. Dress code is strictly Helly Hanson. Bring your own hurl bags.

[Edited on 8-31-2009 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 02:00 PM

Good eating, but I'm hoping the best meal ever is yet to come.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 02:03 PM

Pompano, The best food in the world? When was the last time you where down in Dixie Land? I know, everything is fried, but it's good.:yes:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Pompano, The best food in the world? When was the last time you where down in Dixie Land? I know, everything is fried, but it's good.:yes:

Cypress my friend, I ate in Dixie so long ago that my first meal there was a ship's biscquit shared with Ponce de Leon. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I love most all southern food, especially seafood creole-style. I will not eat hominy, grits, or mush...no matter how much syrup is poured over them. Pah-toooey!

For finer fare I have eaten a few times at Antoine's Restaurant in New Orleans...long, long before Katrina. Oysters Rockerfeller, Eggs Sardou, and puffed potatoes- Pommes de Terre Souffles - all originated there. If I ever decide to wear a tie again, I'll go back in a heartbeat.

I love Oysters Rockerfeller..and here's some I recently had at the Green Flash restaurant in Oceanside, CA.

Now..the last time I was in Dixie, I went to look over some hunting dogs a breeder had been raving to me about.

They may have been good hounds...But...they were a little disappointing in appearance.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-31-2009 at 03:19 PM

Pompano, Some of those Red Bones are a little high strung. Last one I owned was called "Shakey". Next time you're down that way check out "Ralph and Kakoos" in New Orleans. Batten down the hatches. You've got some trouble coming from the south.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.