Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: MULEGE TODAY- Monday 9/7
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:06 PM
MULEGE TODAY- Monday 9/7

Every main street looked like this, and the army guys were everywhere both direction traffic and shoveling-

And if it wasn't shovels at work, than big equipment was going at it-

Of the four r/o water stores, two were severly damaged, but today none were open. The fire department had a mobile r/o machine offering water at no cost however.

By my count, at lease five generators were humming around town-

A BigWig from the HeadShead of BCS called a town meeting to inform all the folks along the icehouse road that they were going to have to relocate. Low cost housing has been promised to them (information here came from a local resident named Paco...the guy who was the beach manager at Posada for eleven years)...

One wonders if The Orchard will rebound-

Two tiendas- Pinguini and the one behind the firehouse are open but for canned goods only. I saw folks using their cell phones. As the big microwave tower south of town has snapped off, I guess it is not needed for cell phones. The highway Pemex is business as usual-as is the tortilleria in town. Yee's construction supply store says big orders of roofing and repair needs are on the way down from Ensenada.
(disclaimer- no spellcheck was harmed in this posting)

Things are expensive, but at least we get a free trip around the sun once a year
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:26 PM

WOW! The Orchard took a huge hit!
Bob H
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:31 PM

oh boy, oh boy...those poor folks...let's git em some help!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 03:35 PM

Thanks for the update photos. The thought has crossed my mind more than once, although so many positive things have been said about Baja and its people, I really cannot think of a town anywhere (no offense to the others) where a spirit of community exists as it does in Mulege. And that goes for the "foreigners" as well. I'm guessing they (gringos, Etc.) are their because they can actually feel that spirit.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 04:36 PM

we're there baby!...

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Destiny

[*] posted on 9-7-2009 at 05:04 PM
Donation Party

Hey everyone, since we can't make it down until fire season is over, we have talked to one of the local pubs and are going to be holding a friends of Mulege donation night. Thought that perhaps others could organize similar functions. They need all the help they can get:) At least, from the looks of things, the spirit of Mulege still exists, after all, that is what we all have come to love.
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:57 AM

I recieced this eamil today and thought it might be of help.
Hi Everyone,
David left this morning to fly down to Loreto. He's flying in a Baja Bush Pilot private plane with 500 lbs of food and supplies for Mulege. The road from Loreto to Mulege is now reported to be open. Because the Mulege Airstrip is in bad shape and not usable, they need to land in Loreto. From the photos and reports Mulege sounds bad, but as always the resilient people of Mulege seem to be pulling together and things are improving.

My hope upon arrival is to set up a distribution system for the relief effort through the Mulege Fire Department - if they are able and willing. They did such a great job distributing the food and supplies that many of you donated last time. They were able to get the items to many of those that needed it most after Hurricane John and I am hoping to help coordinate this again. Unfortunately many of the fire department volunteers homes were affected and I do not yet know how much help will be available. If we can get an effective and fair distribution method set up, and a safe landing zone established, the Baja Bush Pilots have 12 planes and two helicopters ready to make drops.

I also understand that the computer systems in the Mulege schools that our Santa Cruz Community donated over the last 5 years have been washed out. We are asking everyone to help out again. If you all can help put the word out and bring down working Pentium II computers (or newer) for the schools and if we have any left over, the local Internet businesses that were also wiped out need them. The largest change I have seen with these children, more than anything else that we have done, is the computer systems that we were able to help set up. Just one example was after 1 year after we installed 10 computers at the Mulege boarding school on Ice House Road, these kids were typing, doing their homework on line, and the kids were repairing the computers themselves. The Mexican government has a good online scholastic system set up, for many of the schools in Baja most of what is needed to access this system is these schools are computers and routers. I am not sure yet if I will be able to spear head the computer deliveries and set up, but I know this is a need. If there's someone who can take charge of this - please step forward. It's well worth your efforts and when you see the kids - the smiles make all the hard work feel like it was nothing!

David plans on communicating with me and we'll update you with other needs. For now - just know many people have lost their homes and belongings. Please bring down what you can when you can and I will pass on the info I gather to help you determine what to do with it all.

Hope everyone is going well, thank you all for your prayers and support. David and DeDe
Email is dede@aquasafaris.com
KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 05:18 AM

OH my god...
I think i'm going to agree with "arrowhead"
This guy is flying down $1000 in gas for the plane
500 pounds of stuff NOT all food
That is NOTHING
What is he planing on drinking?
NO water in mulege
Water weighs 8 pounds a gallon
That is 40 pounds a day
What is he eating?
Very little food in mulege for tourists
Where is he staying?
NO hotel rooms available
Sleeping in the car?
What about gas?
Using the little gas that is available for residents?
Why not just donate the money $$$
Or rent a truck and drive 4000 pounds of food and supplies down
This is just an american looking for news exposure for his business
What a waste
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 08:55 AM

David and Dede lived in Mulege for a long time he also has a house there. they as a couple have done an incrediable amount of work for the poeple in the Mulege area in good and bad times. Kat54 should try to do some good other than COMPLAIN
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 09:52 AM

Picking up on what KAT54 said- I know this isn't the first relief effort (unfortunately), but just had to wonder, what with several trucking companies that make regular runs all the way to Cabo, (Columbia Export in Otay, comes to mind), is there a possibility that coordination could be made and perhaps the truckers might donate the run, or deeply discount it???
Aljorie

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 10:22 AM
Relief Help

Would anyone who has the correct information,when it happens,please let the forum know when the Hwy. is open?We plan on bvringing supplies down ASAP,but don;t want to be stuck halfway down without any options to continue. Planning on heading to
Mulege.
Thank you
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 10:25 AM

highway has been open for a few days now...some detours but passable.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 10:43 AM

Soulpatch & Howodd-

It is easy to understand the complainers if you know the code.

The following situation plays out daily in America as we speak:
Two brothers argue over what to do about mom, now that she is losing her marbles. Bother A says, "I'll pack up her stuff & she can live w/me." Brother B protests, "You can't do that. You'll be giving up your freedom, your time, and all. Lets split the cost of a care home."

Complaining that the cost to A is too high is really code, meaning, "You will be doing a lot of work, and I won't."

Now re-read the whining. You'll see many creative arguments why you and I shouldn't lend a hand, spending our own time & money. Decode it and voila!

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 11:23 AM

Everybody wants to do something to help. The folks in MULEGE are doing all they can to get their community back together. The Mexican govt. at all levels are 24/7 on it. Sometimes it's better to keep clear and wait till things settle down before jumping in. They'll let you know what they need and when they need it. Otherwise, you just get in the way. Hope these thoughts aren't considered negative or place me in the "troll" catagory.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 11:26 AM

Everybody wants to do something to help. The folks in MULEGE are doing all they can to get their community back together. The Mexican govt. at all levels are 24/7 on it. Sometimes it's better to keep clear and wait till things settle down before jumping in. They'll let you know what they need and when they need it. Otherwise, you just get in the way. Hope these thoughts aren't considered negative or place me in the "troll" catagory.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Everybody wants to do something to help.

Good. That's what they should do. Help. I'm wondering if all this nonsense would be happening if it were taken to U2U where there is no audience.
If this were war, there's a lot of people here I wouldn't want in my foxhole.
OK folks? This isn't about you. It's about people who need you. Try to remember that.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbup.gif posted on 9-8-2009 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

This is a very good post, Cypress! It is way too soon for we who are not there to get any kind of a clear picture of reality on the ground. The message from there, though, is stay away! There are not enough resources for those who live there and are there now. Besides, you cannot clean up your own houses without water. That's a long way away yet. Oh, and I would add, stop driving around town, wasting gasoline, clogging the narrow streets and getting in the way.

I would, however, make an exception for Engineer Mike. He puts his burro on the line. He has had prior experience with flood relief. He is already involved in the community. He is set up to receive donations and he is well connected with the locals so as to know exactly how to distribute the funds and material goods. THEY will tell him their needs. He will hit and run. He will return in multiple trips with a capacity to carry a volume of necessary items. He has a plan and he is rolling!!!

:yes:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 01:43 PM

toneart, Thanks,
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 01:48 PM

toneart, Cypress....

Thanks guys and everyone who are helping...I'm stuck up in Oregon and soon to be in So. Cal....I'm not coming down until Patsy sends me a list of things to bring down and a reason to be there...I'll see everyone in Oct.

Thanks again to all the helpers

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
captain4tuna
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 01:57 PM

Ditto to that. We were just going to jump in our truck and head down with supplies but after heavy deliberation and posts such as these, we decided not to infringe upon the local resources that are so sparce already. We will donate from here for now and head down later when we can actually do some good.
Hoorah to you Engineermike for your well coordinated efforts. Mexrick, hoorah to you too. This is not to leave out everyone else, please do not miunderstand me. I just think we should stay out of the way. We spoke to Jorge Yee today and it is muy malo. Unless absolute self sufficiency can be maintained for awhile....
Any news from Gary in San Ignacio Springs? We're reading conflicting reports. Haven't from Terry for a couple of days, does anyone know if she's still in BC?
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.