Water weighs 8 pounds a gallon
That is 40 pounds a day
What is he eating?
Very little food in mulege for tourists
Where is he staying?
NO hotel rooms available
Sleeping in the car?
What about gas?
Using the little gas that is available for residents?
Why not just donate the money $$$
Or rent a truck and drive 4000 pounds of food and supplies down
This is just an american looking for news exposure for his business
What a waste

it's all about getting biggest bang for your buck. when donating to charities, donate to the ones that have lowest operating expenses and highest spending on intended recipient.

i tend to agree that the little personal planes make a good show but can carry little weight so effectively provide expensive assistance. the price of fueling and operating a small plane would pay for several heavy truck loads. perhaps pilots should consider staying home and donating fuel money to buying and shipping materials by truck, unless their flying really has effective economical assistance.
trucks can get there in 24 hours.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 03:41 PM

It is not about getting the biggest Bang for your Buck!!

It is about "People helping people in time of need""

That includes a Pilot who flys down in his little Cessna 172 and delivers what he can and Then---- Helps people clean up their homes, buys them some Groceries, shows them that , Yes, We are Americanos and we beleive in helping our Friends.

Oh! You Materlistic People! When are you going to learn that a "Hug" a Kind handshake. a helping hand is what people need in a time of distress????

Comon down, all of you in your Little Planes and Kind hearts, meet some People, give them a Hug and let them know that you can be "Amigos". Does both of your Hearts Good!!

Skeet
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 03:52 PM

And those pilots better have return fuel and not expect to stay overnight. From what I've heard, functional local accomodations are full up.
captain4tuna
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:07 PM

The point should be that if you can maintain total self sufficiency so as not to take away from the sparce resources of the lovely muleginos, than by all means going down and lending that helping hand, giving that hug and letting them know that our hearts and pockets are there for them in this devastating time is what we should do.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

mad.gif posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:09 PM

Well, this is what we were fearing...where's the humanity? I just received this email:

"<Names redacted by toneart>have been stuck at the US border at San Diego for over 2 hours. They needed a manifest, including placing value on all the equipment- wheelbarrows, shovels, power-washer, clothing for the people of Mulege, food to donate, etc. Even though they told the customs agent they were on a humanitarian mission, it was useless. They were first turned back to the US, then made to re-enter. They are paying a fee for the value of all items listed on the manifest."

(unquote) Hopefully organizations can do some official negotiations for their own efforts. I wouldn't know where they would start, but maybe they would.

I posted this in the Hurricane Relief Supplies string too.

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:16 PM

The pilots offered to help when it was initially thought that the roads were gone and assistance by air made the most sense. Information has since shown that the road situation was not as bad as first thought and the damage was quickly bypassed. No pilot I know of would waste time and money on unnecessary effort, and would agree if the roads are passable that a truck is the way to go. The value of aircraft help was very apparent after H. John, but there was a much better preparation this time by the locals.
As to throwing money at the situation- wait until it starts to dry out and more information comes in before throwing money at the problem. The experience in the US of citizens over- reacting after 9/11 and dishing out millions with no questions asked, resulted in some of the most blatant corruption. Don't let your knee jerk emotions take over and do a careful evaluation before reacting. This is not to say immediate help isn't needed by the locals, but a much clearer picture will soon emerge as to how much and where.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:24 PM

Ditto on that.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:35 PM

Altruism needs guidance and structure. This effort is turning into chaos for the lack of that.
Nobody can take control of a mob scene. That's what this is turning into.
KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:39 PM

LancairDriver is correct
The people flying down now are just eating the little food
Drinking the little water
Taking up space
Muching on others for a place to sleep
They should stay home
A hug?
Do you really think these victims need a hug from a rico american?
Get real
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:48 PM

David is also the person that got the fire trucks and did the training for the Mulege fire dept. he is also an emt and works very closely with the hospital.
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:48 PM
LancairDriver

Yup, I tend to agree with you. In the case of the funds donated thru Rotary: After we have helped all those in real need AND we have money leftover, I don't really think we will have trouble finding important ways to help with needs not related to Jimena. I can site other projects/needs in Mulege on request. I would have a moral issue with using funds that folks gave for purposes other than what they were intended. I guess I would notify everyone that we have excess funds and if anyone objects.....refund their money.
Frankly, I don't foresee that this will be an issue given how grim the situation.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
LancairDriver is correct
The people flying down now are just eating the little food
Drinking the little water
Taking up space
Muching on others for a place to sleep
They should stay home
A hug?
Do you really think these victims need a hug from a rico american?
Get real

I'm sure the pilots who have flown down with food, water, and other needed goods have not hung around to sleep in a hot room somewhere or consumed any of the food or water they brought down for the locals. In a matter of a few hours they are back in the USA after dropping off their needed goods, and haven't ventured beyond the airport where they landed. As for fuel, most can do the round trip with fuel from the US. I would not expect to hear of any of them being anything but an asset to the relief effort.
KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 05:01 PM

baja Steve...
So did David go right home?
I think not
Land in Loreto
Rent a car
Hand out food in town
Take pictures for his local newspaper
No time today to fly home today
He is probably taking up space in Mulege
And eating
And drinking the water
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
baja Steve...
So did David go right home?
I think not
Land in Loreto
Rent a car
Hand out food in town
Take pictures for his local newspaper
No time today to fly home today
He is probably taking up space in Mulege
And eating
And drinking the water

What the *** is this all about???
KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 05:14 PM

It is about people flocking to disaster areas
that do not need to be there.
Mulege is already hurting
People are flocking down just to see the diaster
They think a "hug" will cure the diaster
What a joke
BajaSteve's friend is only one
and that guy must be a saint
captain4tuna
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 05:15 PM

KAT54, you seem to not realize that eveyone has their heart in the right place.
Thank you to all the pilots.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain4tuna
Thank you to all the pilots.

And others. Don't forget the others. The pilots ain't sht without the others.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 05:32 PM

kat54...you are basically full of chit...you got yer head up yer ass, amigo...we've done this many times and the folks down there need our help...and WANT it...how many times have YOU been there with help?...git outta dodge...i am SO sick of this crap!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
kat54...you are basically full of poop...

Why? What did Kat say that was inappropriate?
You know what, Mike? Mulege isn't the end of the world nor is it hallowed ground. This effort here was supposed to be about Baja, not just your back yard so, why don't you show some concern for the whole problem without insisting that everybody pay attention to yours alone.
I'm so sick of your gawwdam crap of Mulege Mulege Mulege, I could puke. There's more to the storm mayhem in Baja than your Mulege.
Probably not for you though. Your world seems really small.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 06:07 PM

A heart without a brain is brainless.
A brain without a heart is heartless.
A nice mix of the two is a good formula for getting something done in an emergency.

If you have to get the cheapest price for everything that gets done in the name of charity, you won't get much charity accomplished, emergency or not.

Skeet said it very well. The worst part of a disaster is when helplessness breeds helplessness. People have to know there's life after this mess. That's why time is of the essence to get some basics handled; folks have to know in their hour of despair that there are people who care, and you can't convey that with good thoughts from far away (at least I can't). And, of course, people have to know money isn't going to get thrown around, or it will become a free for all.

BBP is well organized, and well connected so that engine hours are not burned up for the heck of it. They know to send obvious stuff first, then operate off fresh intelligence for follow up trips, and finally to quit burning avgas when ground assets are in place. The fact that a plane left at first word a landing strip was available means they are doing what they always do- get things moving. That's part of it also. While everybody sits & talks, nothing happens but talk, but if somebody starts a conga line then people stand up & dance.

For me its all about getting the Muleginos into the conga line. For others, they know other spots better and want to help those folks get up & dance. Right?

[Edited on 9-9-2009 by EngineerMike]

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.