Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: MULEGE TODAY- Monday 9/7
captain4tuna
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 06:12 PM

There seems to be so much anger and bitterness itowards one another in this forum.
Thank you Engineer Mike for your positive posts and for everything that you are doing.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike

Skeet said it very well. The worst part of a disaster is when helplessness breeds helplessness.

:lol::lol: If Skeet ever said that, I'll buy you a new Corvette.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 06:49 PM

dennis, you are such a fun guy....:tumble:
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 07:19 PM

Great thread folks. There is merit to both viewpoints.

I'll be at Bahia Concepcion, RVing, in about 2 months, doing what I always do, buying something from almost every vendor that walks by (1 purchase per vendor) unless they have really tasty food.

I have an extensive baja blanket and t-shirt collection.

I usually get my breakfast delivered to my palapa every morning by an old gal driving a beat-up sedan, warm something or other. Fresh fish in the afternoon, paid for in cash of course, and the requirement that the pescador drink cold beers with me in the shade of the grass shack. Room (palapa) service, definitely with a smile.

Stay out of there until they get it cleaned up. Got dengue?
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 07:43 PM

dengue is always waiting in the shadows in this scenario...bring deet..mike, you are the light at the end of this friggin tunnel...we leave in the morning...should be there by sunday..we are squatted down.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 07:47 PM
Fighting Dengue

Our Rotary club donated a truck with tank, spray equipment and plenty of eco friendly insect killer. I hope they are runnin the wheels off that truck.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 07:49 PM

the off loaded that monster in front of our house last year and it can flat lay some mosquito flak out there...wow...what a great thing to have during these times...jimmy was so proud!...i hope it made it through ok.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 07:53 PM
MulegeMichael

Yup, it survived without damage, according to Quito.
Actually it was donated to the Mulege club by a club in the states, pretty sure it was So. Lake Tahoe. I need to find out for sure so they get the credit they deserve. Very generous.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
dennis, you are such a fun guy....:tumble:

Just don't appreciate being assumed brainless. It makes the sutures around my lobotomy weep and gets really moist and messy. You know what I mean....huh. :yes:
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 09:16 PM

"<Names redacted by toneart>have been stuck at the US border at San Diego for over 2 hours. They needed a manifest, including placing value on all the equipment- wheelbarrows, shovels, power-washer, clothing for the people of Mulege, food to donate, etc. Even though they told the customs agent they were on a humanitarian mission, it was useless. They were first turned back to the US, then made to re-enter. They are paying a fee for the value of all items listed on the manifest."

This is what I've been expecting at the border. There is a new regime in place. They will have to follow the letter of the law to get established, it is the same in all officialdom.

If taking donations, by all means plead the case, & maybe w/enough pressure a senior official will get the word & there will be relief for the relief effort. Until then, we don't need gaggles of Nomads getting depressed over the party line at Aduana. In the mean time go armed w/a well detailed summary of your load, and prepared to pay ~15% duty. Take solace in saving 15% off the prices of stuff in TJ & Ensenada.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Even though they told the customs agent they were on a humanitarian mission, it was useless.

Gee. Let's see....who told you that would happen?
I remember. Do you?
It' a Nomad thing. Nobody listens to anybody but themselves.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 09:48 PM
about the border hassle

I just gotta ask... why stop?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
I just gotta ask... why stop?

EngineerMike can tell you that one:

Red light...

Green light.....
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2009 at 11:06 PM

Lisa Maria- if you don't declare a load of commercial quantities of dutiable goods, and get pulled over either for red light or by selection, the official punishment is
1) they get to keep your load of stuff, and
2) hit you w/a healthy fine.

Don't ask my wife about how I know this; she got over it finally. It was a trailer load of medical donations. And that was the old regime at Aduana. Now there is an army of newbies who need to prove their proficiency and capability at enforcing the rules. That's why I've been counseling to pull directly into Declaracion, tell them the Mulege story, then hand them your detailed manifest for the load & pony up the duty (~15%). Otherwise you are there for hours, come near divorce, have to invoke your legal insurance, blah, blah, blah... I'm afraid we are stuck w/the duty train for a while.

There are at least 3 agitators (bless their Nomadic souls) working on getting Jimena relief some Aduana relief. But it almost can't take less than several days (less would be un milagro), and if it ever works is likely to take weeks. We will be at it for more than weeks, so hope for the best.

I'm going to talk to the Mulege Delegado about it and see if he can provide an official letter, and maybe get another from the Mulege Rotary. The problem I've run into before is having an official acceptance that perfectly matches a relief load manifest. "How so we know this will actually be delivered to the Delegado, since your load is one thing and his letter says another..." That's a tough bureaucratic hurdle to clear. We'll see what transpires & hope for the best.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 03:06 AM

Arriving before the town can handle your presence may not be prudent. Gather yourselves wisely. Take necessary and important items.

Be self-sufficient this visit. Bring cash and make sure you have a place to stay. I camped on Coyote for 2 weeks while unearthing John.

Don't forget about the impending mosquito hatch btw!

I pray for all the displaced and uprooted people in Mulege. One more big thanks for the many selfless giving people:

Thank You Mulege Givers

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
AndrewPerrington

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 03:11 AM

Maybe the five hundred pounds of supplies/food/etc. delivered by the Bush Pilots wont solve everyone's problems. Heck, I'm sure the money spent in fuel could also be donated to the Red Cross, Rotary Club, etc. But do you realize that each person directly helped by the Bush Pilots, or by Norteamericanos that have friends in Mulege is a person that is not going to stand in line waiting for water or clothes, or food, therefore freeing up some of the resources that can go to others in need?
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Lisa Maria- if you don't declare a load of commercial quantities of dutiable goods, and get pulled over either for red light or by selection, the official punishment is
1) they get to keep your load of stuff, and
2) hit you w/a healthy fine.

Don't ask my wife about how I know this; she got over it finally. It was a trailer load of medical donations. And that was the old regime at Aduana. Now there is an army of newbies who need to prove their proficiency and capability at enforcing the rules. That's why I've been counseling to pull directly into Declaracion, tell them the Mulege story, then hand them your detailed manifest for the load & pony up the duty (~15%). Otherwise you are there for hours, come near divorce, have to invoke your legal insurance, blah, blah, blah... I'm afraid we are stuck w/the duty train for a while.

There are at least 3 agitators (bless their Nomadic souls) working on getting Jimena relief some Aduana relief. But it almost can't take less than several days (less would be un milagro), and if it ever works is likely to take weeks. We will be at it for more than weeks, so hope for the best.

I'm going to talk to the Mulege Delegado about it and see if he can provide an official letter, and maybe get another from the Mulege Rotary. The problem I've run into before is having an official acceptance that perfectly matches a relief load manifest. "How so we know this will actually be delivered to the Delegado, since your load is one thing and his letter says another..." That's a tough bureaucratic hurdle to clear. We'll see what transpires & hope for the best.

I was told once at the border that a letter from my church or even better from the parish priest would help smooth the wheels of crossing.

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 08:48 AM

Why not buy your stuff in Ensenada...CostCo...Home Depot...WalMart...

That way you can help the Mexican economy also....

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the u2u and I apologize for lack of time to respond to each.

Tony- I figured that from the start about the Aduana reception; we'll argue what we can then pay what we owe. After all its their rules.

BajaBad- Understand fully about San Carlos, and good on ya for helping there.

Mike

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 05:55 PM

Dennis;

Why don"t you take a Vacation and go to Mulege and help some of those folks who are in need.

If you will get a load of supplies I will meet you and transport them down and then take you to Jungle Jims for a Drink of Cold Beer with Arrowhead.

P.S. You will be second to be thrown in the river!!

skeet
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.