Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: MULEGE TODAY- Monday 9/7
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 10:52 PM

Scholarship's "bucket brigade" is on the road in the a.m., Chula Vista by nightfall, GN by Friday eve & Mulege Saturday morning.

Couple thousand pounds on the truck, definitely an overload. Can't drive at night cuz the headlights shine up, not forward. Steering is a bit light, but oughta hold in the curvas peligrosas. Once more into the breach.

Thanks to all who have, and will continue contributing. We got $1700 from the Placerville Lutherans (and all these folks did was call a meeting and pass the hat!!!), $1000 donated in Rio Vista, another $1100 in PayPal & other money donations, and have another $2000 pledged. That's $5800!!!
The truck has the first $1500 in food, tarps, visqueen, duct tape, dog food, cat food, baggies to break down big bags of beans-rice-pet food-etc. to familia size packets. I could wedge a couple of post cards in there also, but not the stamps.

Will post the latest on the ground needs as soon as possible. Wish me luck on bumming somebody's floor to grab some zzzz's before the slingshot trip back.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Posada-BushPilot
Yup, it survived without damage, according to Quito.
Actually it was donated to the Mulege club by a club in the states, pretty sure it was So. Lake Tahoe. I need to find out for sure so they get the credit they deserve. Very generous.

Glad to hear the mosquito fogger is ok. That was a joint project of Scott Valley (Fort Jones, CA) and Bend Mt Bachelor (Bend, OR) Rotary Clubs w/ donations from Shasta Valley (Yreka) and Central Point (OR); District 5110. Paul Heidke and I were the lead on that and worked a long time to raise the $14k to buy it. Jimmy was a great help! Hope he's ok.

BTW, Paul just raised a bunch of bucks for tarps etc. that will arrive next week. Maybe some by airplane! (at my own expense btw).

BTW, I'm also a BBP and am appalled at some of the crap I hear. But I also remember some of the same BS after Juan when I said we were going to provide Mosquito equip.

Fortunately we know the source. Blessings to the Bomberos, and all the other volunteers!

kevin

[Edited on 9-11-2009 by kp_martin]

Sir Wilfred Grenfell said,

The service we render others� is the rent we pay for our room on earth. OR
-----
She was only a moonshiner\'s daughter but I loved her still!
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 10:40 AM
EngineerMike -

Spoke to Jimmy this morning and he said there were some folks at your place, looked like Gringos and looked like they were cleaning up for you. Quito told him about it this morning because he thought you were in town already.

Anyway, have a safe trip.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kp_martin

But I also remember some of the same BS after Juan when I said we were going to provide Mosquito equip.

Someone gave you grief over the idea of providing Mosquito equip???? Gees, that is incredible. Mosquito control seems like something that is high on the priority list.

Glad the equipment you donated before is OK
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 11:13 AM

Yea, it was one of those detractors that rarely have anything positive to say. Made several posts about us Rotarians not doing what we said we would. I guess they thought we were going to pull together that kind of money overnight! Besides getting approval from MX dept of Health etc. It took a year but we got er done!

kevin

-----
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 11:31 AM

I don't know whose idea it was to buy the fogger equipment (Yours Kevin?) but we feel very luck to have it, especially right now. I think there is still standing water all over the place.
I asked Quito to run the wheels off that truck. Engineer Mike is delivering cash to buy fuel....will be there tomorrow.
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 07:51 PM
Article in todays El Sudcaliforniano

I'll post the article in Spanish below for those who read it. It's some good news. It says the Mexican government has put 100's of locals to work on a Temporary Employment Program to clean the streets of Mulege. So that means a faster cleanup and money in peoples pockets.

Quote:

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n1321474.htm

Comenzó limpieza con cientos de empleados del PET

SANTA ROSALÍA, BCS.- Después de que fueron retirados de la vía pública miles de toneladas de fango, tierra, piedras y basura que deja la creciente de arroyo de Cachanía con su paso del huracán "Jimena" por el municipio de Mulegé, desde ayer dio comienzo una campaña de limpieza a mano con cientos de trabajadores del Programa de Empleo Temporal -PET- para retirar de las calles la tierra que ocasiona las polvaredas y que pone en riesgo la salud de los cachanías.

Ayer brigadas de personas iniciaron con las calles del centro y avenida Sarabia escoba a mano, mientras que los cuerpos de rescate con las bomberas regaban a chorro de agua para terminar de limpiar, todos ellos debidamente coordinados y supervisados por personal al mando del alcalde de Mulegé, José Manuel Murillo Peralta, quien encabeza esta actividad.

Hay que recordar que con el paso de "Jimena" por cachanía después de la gran inundación de las colonias afectas y la zona centro, miles de toneladas de lodo, tierra, piedras, carros enterrados, basura y objetos varios quedaron por todos lados que durante estos días han sido retirados con apoyo de maquinaria que llegaron de todas las instituciones oficiales, empresas y particulares para sumarse a las tareas de reconstrucción del puerto.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 9-13-2009 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Soulpatch & Howodd-

It is easy to understand the complainers if you know the code.

The following situation plays out daily in America as we speak:
Two brothers argue over what to do about mom, now that she is losing her marbles. Bother A says, "I'll pack up her stuff & she can live w/me." Brother B protests, "You can't do that. You'll be giving up your freedom, your time, and all. Lets split the cost of a care home."

Complaining that the cost to A is too high is really code, meaning, "You will be doing a lot of work, and I won't."

Now re-read the whining. You'll see many creative arguments why you and I shouldn't lend a hand, spending our own time & money. Decode it and voila!

Perfect Mike, just perfectly said.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-14-2009 at 10:01 PM

See my post of this evening on the Jimena thread for full update on Mulege from the ground. Too long to repost here. Mike

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 06:14 AM

Quote:
I don't know whose idea it was to buy the fogger equipment (Yours Kevin?) but we feel very luck to have it, especially right now. I think there is still standing water all over the place.
I asked Quito to run the wheels off that truck. Engineer Mike is delivering cash to buy fuel....will be there tomorrow.

It was Rtn. Paul Heidtke's (Bend Mt. Batchelor) idea. He is/was a Terminex dealer and certified bug nut. He had done the same thing in Los Barilles several years ago. We're hoping to do another sometime.

-----
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 08:17 AM
Paul

He is headed down this coming thursday or friday with 250+ tarps. If you read Mike's report, he says they are sorely needed.......so Paul hits it outa the park....AGAIN.:yes:
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
He is headed down this coming thursday or friday with 250+ tarps. If you read Mike's report, he says they are sorely needed.......so Paul hits it outa the park....AGAIN.:yes:

I have about 8k' of rope (pull tape) donated by our local telco that I can hopefully hook up with Paul - workin on that. Can have a bunch more by the end of the week.

I also have a line on some water purification kits from Samaritan's Purse/MAF. Any idea where those could be needed?

-----
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 11:39 AM

Still haven't seen any pictures of Don Chano's? Right across the river from the Oasis. Have seen umpteen pictures of the Oasis. Is Don Chano's a restricted zone? No photo's?
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 11:52 AM

does Paul still live in Bend?
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Still haven't seen any pictures of Don Chano's? Right across the river from the Oasis. Have seen umpteen pictures of the Oasis. Is Don Chano's a restricted zone? No photo's?

There is one photo on Ecomujeres' site taken from across the river. Appears that all four of the front houses are gone as reported. Manuel's new house on the hillside appears ok.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 05:52 PM

KurtG, Thanks for the reply. Will try to find the picture.
kp_martin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja Steve
does Paul still live in Bend?

Yes, he lives in Bend thrugh the summer and in Los
Barilles in the winter.

-----
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 06:56 PM

any contact info for Paul? I live in Bend also.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 10:30 PM

taken from daily report on Mulege by Carlos Milan:

"According to the report from CONAGUA, Jimena surpassed all previous storm records and established the following record: 311 millimenters (12.24 inches) of rain and a runoff of 1,200 cubic meters (1312 cubic feet) per second."

12.24 inches of rain per second
1312 ft.cubed of runoff per second
ecomujeres
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2009 at 10:50 PM

Mulegena:

That's 12.24 inches of rain (total, not per second) AND 1312 cubic feet of runoff per second

Debra

http://www.lasecomujeres.org (Bilingual environmental education about Baja California)

Check out: http://www.meloncoyote.org (project of Journalism to Raise Environmental Awareness; a quarterly news bulletin for the Gulf of California Region).
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.