Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: FISHING IN ZANE GREY'S SHADOW - OREGON-MONTANA
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I am not sure if 'Huck Finn' is now banned reading at the California school system, but it certainly is not recommended.

It was 10th grade required reading when I grew up. It was considered the best truly American novel ever written. But now, because of the "n" word kids are discouraged from reading it.

I had my kid read it anyway.

Tell me about it, Igor. My nephews, nieces, plus the sons & daughters of my friends all are faced with the same dilemna. Thank God they have the moral fiber and strength to overcome our bungled school systems.

Today's schoolbook blacklist reminds one of pre-WWII Germany and the bookburnings. Or the movie Fahrenheit 451. I am amazed by the craziness that started this trend and sheild my family from it at all costs.

Fortunately most of us here had parents who parented...like you are doing with your son. Thanks be to God, I have most of the books that I grew up with and collected in college..some have become gifts to the kids to pass on to thiers.. as they all will be passed on some day.

Here's a sobering thought for you. I wonder how many of these works I list below are now considered 'off limits' to our children...and why? '1984' seems to be now.

_________ Beowulf
Achebe, Chinua -Things Fall Apart
Agee, James -A Death in the Family
Austen, Jane -Pride and Prejudice
Baldwin, James -Go Tell It on the Mountain
Beckett, Samuel -Waiting for Godot
Bellow, Saul -The Adventures of Augie March
Brontė, Charlotte -Jane Eyre
Brontė, Emily -Wuthering Heights
Camus, Albert -The Stranger
Cather, Willa -Death Comes for the Archbishop
Chaucer, Geoffrey -The Canterbury Tales
Chekhov, Anton -The Cherry Orchard
Chopin, Kate -The Awakening
Conrad, Joseph -Heart of Darkness
Cooper, James Fenimore -The Last of the Mohicans
Crane, Stephen -The Red Badge of Courage
Dante -Inferno
de Cervantes, Miguel -Don Quixote
Defoe, Daniel -Robinson Crusoe
Dickens, Charles -A Tale of Two Cities
Dostoyevsky, Fyodor -Crime and Punishment
Douglass, Frederick -Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
Dreiser, Theodore -An American Tragedy
Dumas, Alexandre -The Three Musketeers
Eliot, George -The Mill on the Floss
Ellison, Ralph -Invisible Man
Emerson, Ralph Waldo -Selected Essays
Faulkner, William -As I Lay Dying
Faulkner, William -The Sound and the Fury
Fielding, Henry -Tom Jones
Fitzgerald, F. Scott -The Great Gatsby
Flaubert, Gustave -Madame Bovary
Ford, Ford Madox -The Good Soldier
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von -Faust
Golding, William -Lord of the Flies
Hardy, Thomas -Tess of the d'Urbervilles
Hawthorne, Nathaniel -The Scarlet Letter
Heller, Joseph -Catch 22
Hemingway, Ernest -A Farewell to Arms
Homer -The Iliad
Homer -The Odyssey
Hugo, Victor -The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hurston, Zora Neale -Their Eyes Were Watching God
Huxley, Aldous -Brave New World
Ibsen, Henrik -A Doll's House
James, Henry -The Portrait of a Lady
James, Henry -The Turn of the Screw
Joyce, James -A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Kafka, Franz -The Metamorphosis
Kingston, Maxine Hong -The Woman Warrior
Lee, Harper -To Kill a Mockingbird
Lewis, Sinclair -Babbitt
London, Jack -The Call of the Wild
Mann, Thomas -The Magic Mountain
Marquez, Gabriel Garcķa -One Hundred Years of Solitude
Melville, Herman -Bartleby the Scrivener
Melville, Herman -Moby Dick
Miller, Arthur -The Crucible
Morrison, Toni -Beloved
O'Connor, Flannery -A Good Man is Hard to Find
O'Neill, Eugene -Long Day's Journey into Night
Orwell, George -Animal Farm
Pasternak, Boris -Doctor Zhivago
Plath, Sylvia -The Bell Jar
Poe, Edgar Allan -Selected Tales
Proust, Marcel -Swann's Way
Pynchon, Thomas -The Crying of Lot 49
Remarque, Erich Maria -All Quiet on the Western Front
Rostand, Edmond -Cyrano de Bergerac
Roth, Henry -Call It Sleep
Salinger, J.D. -The Catcher in the Rye
Shakespeare, William -Hamlet
Shakespeare, William -Macbeth
Shakespeare, William -A Midsummer Night's Dream
Shakespeare, William -Romeo and Juliet
Shaw, George Bernard -Pygmalion
Shelley, Mary -Frankenstein
Silko, Leslie Marmon -Ceremony
Solzhenitsyn, Alexander -One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Sophocles -Antigone
Sophocles -Oedipus Rex
Steinbeck, John -The Grapes of Wrath
Stevenson, Robert Louis -Treasure Island
Stowe, Harriet Beecher -Uncle Tom's Cabin
Swift, Jonathan -Gulliver's Travels
Thackeray, William -Vanity Fair
Thoreau, Henry David -Walden
Tolstoy, Leo -War and Peace
Turgenev, Ivan -Fathers and Sons
Twain, Mark -The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Voltaire -Candide
Vonnegut, Kurt Jr. -Slaughterhouse-Five
Walker, Alice -The Color Purple
Wharton, Edith -The House of Mirth
Welty, Eudora -Collected Stories
Whitman, Walt -Leaves of Grass
Wilde, Oscar -The Picture of Dorian Gray
Williams, Tennessee -The Glass Menagerie
Woolf, Virginia -To the Lighthouse
Wright, Richard -Native Son

I will not be giving up the ability to enjoy any of these up very quickly...believe me.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I wonder how many of these works I list below are now considered 'off limits' to our children...and why? '1984' seems to be now.

So far, none are banned in Montana high schools, many are highly recommended and some are required. Some classes assigned Twain and I believe all students were assigned assigned To Kill A Mockingbird and watched the movie. And, being Montana, A River Runs Through It got the same treatment.

But schools are getting hacked with social/political/religious axes from all sides.

But the animal lovers are all over Hemingway now. Not a fashionable writer these days. Probably same goes for Grey.

So I won't repeat the first-hand stories an old time Rogue River angler told me about Zane. We'll leave him on his pedestal.:biggrin:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 06:05 PM
Hi Don

Having gone to a country grade school in Montana, I can attest to that fact also. We would read whatever was available...including a North Dakota newspaper. I only wish for the sake of our schoolchildren that other states were the same.

Pedastals are precarious places for anyone and notable for fatal accidents. I have heard stories of how certain fishermen of Baja yesteryear would s t r e t c h the truth a bit when writing thier acconts. Can you say Ray Cannon? One also hears the rumormill controversies concerning Lee Wulff in certain circles...but agan, circles are just that..circles. I can say with certainty that reading Zane Grey, Hemminway, Samuel Clemens, Thoreau, Whitman, and so many of those authors as a child gave me immense pleasure. 'Tis the reading and what you bring out of it that counts. As to the man...I like this quote:

"A cathedral, a wave of a storm, a dancer's leap, never turn out to be as high as we had hoped."

In the end, it is up to you to pick the wheat from the chaff. Thank Odin those classics are here for us to harvest.

[Edited on 10-2-2009 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 06:09 PM
Hemmingway 'fishing' in Havana

With a Tommy gun. ;)

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
With a Tommy gun. ;)

Looks like he's at least waiting for the fish to jump.:lol:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 10:19 PM

He was leveling on flying fish. :lol:

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2009 at 10:51 PM
On Grey and Hemingway

I had read somewhere that Grey admired Hemingway's prose and came up with the idea that they would travel together, Grey fishing and Hemingway writing an account of each adventure. Can you imagine such a proposal? Needless to say Ernest didn't find it very appealing.

One other thing:
There are some things, though, I think the schools got right. For example, kids from my generation were introduced to Steinbeck through "The Pearl", "The Red Pony", and "Tortilla Flat". I wondered why "Cannery Row" was off the list until we read it recently. The characters of "Flo" and the house she ran in Pacific Grove was deemed inappropriate to our young minds. We no longer get squeemish about that. And "Cannery Row" was way better than the rest of those books.

[Edited on 10-2-2009 by Skipjack Joe]
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 08:08 AM

Ahhhhh. Speaking of Montana reminds me of discovering Tiber Res. north of Great Falls just east of Shelby, Montana back in the mid 50's. while stationed at Malmstrom AFB. (you know "join the AF and see the world".) yeah, right. 3 years in Great Falls Montana.???????? Not much to do on weekends, but go fishing!!!!!! Roger. You fish this lake in the old days? Another memory. Fishing downstream of "Giant Springs", just below a slaughter house, where it did it's emptying into the river. Fat fish hung out around that fishing spot. I didn't find the little creeks in those days. Imagine the slaughter house is gone by now.
Phil S
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 02:49 PM

Roger. Thanks for the photo shoot. Haven't been back to Montana since I left in '58 It's on my "to do" list. Plus stopping at Missoula Mt. and visiting the Bourquin family. (hope I spelled that right) There was an Orville B. that was in my squadron at G.F.'s. He was one of the unfortunate enlistees.
Join the A.F. and see the world. He enlisted in Missoula, went to basic training, then Scott AFB in Illinois, then Great Falls for the rest of his tour!!!!
Looking forward to doing the "Going to the Sun highway" at Glacier. So much to see up there, and so little time (75 & aging quickly) Will you be in Coyote around the middle of November? Will be passing through to Loreto/Nopolo & Cabo for the month. Have a safe trip, and save some of those birds for the "locals"!!!!
Phil S
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 03:09 PM

Roger. What the heck happened to your pic's & reply to my 10-3 response? You have a gremlin in here??????
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Roger. What the heck happened to your pic's & reply to my 10-3 response? You have a gremlin in here??????

Phil..I had some size problems with my photos in that post, making it WAY too big for an average pc screen size. So I am editing it and will post again. But I am going to post it as a separate thread so as not to make this one so dang long.

Stay tuned and it shall appear titlled:

Oregon Coast - Columbia Gorge - Montana - Nodak or something like that. Your query and my reply will be in there.

Shouldn't be too much longer..I hope. However, it's cold up here and somebody just opened a bottle of Jack Daniels.

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 01:08 PM

Another American sportsman,my father who prowled the Okanogan drainage and BC from the west to his favorvite Clark Fork river to the east and everything in between,at our place on Pend Oreille. lake Ida.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 01:38 PM

Hi baitcast...nice post with great photos of your father and his catch. He fished some of the same waters I prowl. Fraser Valley, Pitt River, lots of smaller streams and just plain fished all the way to the Clark Fork, also. We probably stood in some of the same eddies. I had a riverside home on the Clark Fork near Missoula in the early 70's. Small towns of Huson and Frenchtown were a bit closer, but nobody has heard of those.

If I EVER get my sizing problems fixed, I am going to post some stuff about Montana and the Clark Fork. Maybe here if it doesn't get too long and windy.

Thanks again for the great photos of your Dad.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 02:06 PM

The Clark's Fork looked too big for dry fly fishing. But it's 'headwaters' around Warm Springs are real nice. In the summertime there's a real good caddis hatch in the evenings. I fished it a fair amount on top with an elk hair caddis with decent results. Then I read Fontaine's book and started to swing a pupae in the current (just like the Missouri below Holter dam) and it was incredible.

On rainy days the PMD's come off real well in midday. Otherwise things are pretty dead until the evening.

I had heard that there are great Trico hatches on the Clark around Missoula but I never saw them. You probably need to drift it to get in on that.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 05:37 PM

Some of my earlyest memories was trolling the mouth of the Clark Fork where it emptyed in the Pend Oreille and stream fishing,the Pack river was also a favorite being it was so close to home in those days was full of trout,dad and his buddies caught some big ass brutes, no C&R in those days we just ate them all........:lol:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2009 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I had read somewhere that Grey admired Hemingway's prose and came up with the idea that they would travel together, Grey fishing and Hemingway writing an account of each adventure. Can you imagine such a proposal? Needless to say Ernest didn't find it very appealing.

One other thing:
There are some things, though, I think the schools got right. For example, kids from my generation were introduced to Steinbeck through "The Pearl", "The Red Pony", and "Tortilla Flat". I wondered why "Cannery Row" was off the list until we read it recently. The characters of "Flo" and the house she ran in Pacific Grove was deemed inappropriate to our young minds. We no longer get squeemish about that. And "Cannery Row" was way better than the rest of those books.

[Edited on 10-2-2009 by Skipjack Joe]

Igor,

Your mention of Steinbeck's novel, 'Cannery Row' was coincidental to a sight I saw recently on the Baja Road.

I came upon these tanks and it immediately reminded me of the movie version, where the Debra Winger character built her make-shift home in the boiler tank.

I loved John Huston's narration of the wild birthday party. A pretty good movie... ...Cannery Row.
Condos, anyone?
[.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2009 at 10:47 PM

Yeah!

Mack and the boys lived in something like that.

Remember the parade? All the townfolks got excited with the festivities while Mack sat on that pipe in a row with the other bums facing the other way. They were above those 'common' middle class pleasures.

An inverted pyramid, Steinbeck had the social losers on top and the 'successful' people leading useless lives. Actually, a lot of the early baja travelers saw things that way. Perhaps even you, Roger?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.