Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip to the mainland
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2009 at 04:48 PM
Trip to the mainland

In May we went for a drive along the mainland Pacific coast.

Sonora, Sinaloa, Nayarit, Jalisco, Colima, Michoacan, and back.

slideshow

I uploaded these at 1600 pixel width, I hope they're not too large.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2009 at 05:12 PM

I think your photography is excellent. What I like a lot about so many of your shots is the lack of people which leaves the composition to speak for itself.
You have a good eye.

1600 seems a good size.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2009 at 05:25 PM

Thanks, I've never owned a camera until recently and I'm thinking that I'm taking way too many scenery shots. I bought a mid-range Kodak with a 10x optical zoom, 14x with software zoom on top of the optical. I always use the "general picture" setting. I need to learn more about using the the other settings and manual setting mode, and I need to get a tripod.

But, I'm not sure I like looking at the world through a camera lens. I've traveled a lot of places without a camera and I'm thinking that was more fun.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-29-2009 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
But, I'm not sure I like looking at the world through a camera lens. I've traveled a lot of places without a camera and I'm thinking that was more fun.

That maybe true now, but years from now, when you look back at those photos, it brings back memories you would otherwise forget. Believe me. I wish that the digital world would have got here a lot sooner, so I would have all those memory pictures from all over to look at. Now lots are in the garage in boxes and too hard to get to.
Besides, it will be something later on to show friends/family and especially kids what your past was like.
And it sure beats Buffalo.:biggrin::biggrin:
Had to throw that in.:P

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 9-29-2009 at 05:47 PM

k-rico

I absolutely LOVED those photos. Spectacular set of images. Thank you so much.

++Ken++

carpe diem!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2009 at 05:49 PM

Quote:

Just think of the camera as a memory aid.

OOOPS....I forgot to read Ed's post first.

[Edited on 9-30-2009 by DENNIS]
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 04:58 AM

What a great trip. Did you have it planned out, or did you just find places to camp as you went along?

Traveling down the Mainland is on my "someday" list.

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 05:36 AM

I had nightly spots picked out before I left. Plans changed as I talked with people along the way. Sonora is a pain. Taking the ferry from La Paz to Mazatlan would be a better, but more expensive plan. I think you can to that. If not take the ferry to Guaymas.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 06:19 AM

Thanks for sharing, must have been a great trip... liked the herd of cattle on the beach, Old Mexico still

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 06:40 AM
Correct

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:

That maybe true now, but years from now, when you look back at those photos, it brings back memories you would otherwise forget. Believe me. I wish that the digital world would have got here a lot sooner, so I would have all those memory pictures from all over to look at. Now lots are in the garage in boxes and too hard to get to.
Besides, it will be something later on to show friends/family and especially kids what your past was like.
And it sure beats Buffalo.:biggrin::biggrin:
Had to throw that in.:P

Your really right on this one... the folks that share the older pic's of what the Baja looled like are priceless, you can't go back, unless you have a photograph.. :)

jls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 07:05 AM

Wonderful...we also plan to travel on the mainland someday. There seemed to be a lack of tourist or were you finding out of the way paradises? What was the problem with Sonora?
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 07:29 AM

Great pictures thanks for sharing=
Mexicorn here to stay!!!!!!
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 07:55 AM

I picked late April and May for the trip to avoid the winter tourist months and the summer heat. We stayed at some really nice RV parks right on the ocean that were essentially empty. The weather was perfect.

We spent two weeks at a tiny beach (Chamela) in Jalisco well south of PV that had no hook-ups. Small protected bay with great swimming and a local fish co-op where you can hire pangas to take you fishing. There is a small restaurant with bathrooms and showers for the beachgoers that shut down at sunset. No electricity. The place is popular with the locals and I met several folks who had driven down from Guadalajara and from Colima to camp. Vendors would come by everyday in pickups selling fresh bread, vegetables, purified water, and ice. The restaurant always had beer and soft drinks and served fresh fish caught by the local fisherman.

Michoacan is undeveloped and there are a couple of spots popular with surfers, Ticla and Nexpa. We spent several nights in each place going south and returning north.

Melaque and Navidad are small interesting towns on the Jalisco coast with full service RV parks and plenty of nightlife - restaurants, bars, etc.

Playa Amor south of San Blas in Nayarit is also a beautiful little RV park on the beach.

All of these places are packed during the winter with snowbirds and hot and muggy during the summer.

Sonora required long days of driving and nights spent boondocking in PEMEX gas stations. No fun. Since I live in Tijuana heading south to La Paz and then taking a ferry would have been a good idea. However, San Carlos in Sonora is a good place to stay.

On the way back we went from Caborca to Rocky Point to San Luis to Tijuana. I'd recommend that route through northern Sonora but cross into the US in Arizona after Rocky Point if you're going to the US.

[Edited on 9-30-2009 by k-rico]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Playa Amor south of San Blas in Nayarit is also a beautiful little RV park on the beach.

And the bugs and alligators? Anything like San Blas?
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 08:18 AM

Not as bad as San Blas. Insect repellent is required and there were more than a few times that I almost tossed the barking schnauzer, Rockefeller (Rocky), to the crocs. Smiley the Keeshond was very mellow, most of the time. Travelling with two noisey dogs is another reason I went off-season.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2009 at 11:42 AM

I'm surprised you ran into folks from Colima while camping in Jalisco. A few years ago, we flew into Manzanillo, rented a van and spent two weeks camping and surfing South of there. There are some great spots along that part of the coast. We made it as far South as Zihua and on the way back made a side trip to Colima city.

Great pix, rico.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.