Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Antonio to San Juan de los Planes & area roads
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 02:36 PM
San Antonio to San Juan de los Planes & area roads

Hello Nomads,

I tried to do my due diligence and search for conditions on these roads, but couldn't find anything more recent than 2004.

I have heard that the road along the coast from Cabo to Los Barriles is pretty bad and would not be a good idea in a rental car.

Would the same be true for trying to cut over to San Juan de los Planes from Mex 1 at San Antonio, as this map suggests might be possible?

http://www.mexfish.com/ecap/ecap/ecapamp/ecapamp.htm

Or would it be much more sane and practical to drive up to La Paz and fish hook back south via BC286?

My main goal is to get from the airport at San Jose de los Cabos and onto the beach at La Ventana or Los Frailes as quickly as possible, in order to start fishing as quickly as possible ;D
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 02:38 PM

The road from San Antonio to Los Planes is paved now and should be in good condition....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 03:48 PM

Perhaps next time you could fly to La Paz. I know there are way less fights. Anyway, as posted above, no need to go all the way up to La Paz to get where you're going.
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 04:13 PM

Thanks very much Nomads, that is great news.

I have been down as far as Mag Bay a few times before, but always in my own truck, which takes a licking but keeps on ticking. With the rental car, I'll try to be super duper careful any time I go off the pavement . . .
akbear
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 04:13 PM

The road from San Antonio to Los Planes is in good shape. You have to watch for some of the low spots after the local rains, but it was new a few years ago. I run that way to go to La Paz from Los Barriles. The road going up & down the hill from La Ventana is full of pot holes as of last week. A friend had to wait 1/2 hour to let the water to go down before crossing the San Antonnio arroyo last Wed.

akbear
YARDSAIL
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2009 at 06:59 PM

I was over that road today, it has some spots that have to be crossed carefully, water brought sand and rock across the road in many spots. In one spot the sand has built up about a foot deep and on the San Antonio side it drops off like a curb....Pitty the person that hits it from the San Antonio end....I was glad I was paying attention.... The green is beautiful!!!
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2009 at 11:52 AM

If your rental car does get scratched...use a little toothpaste to buff it out.
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 10-7-2009 at 12:24 PM

I was told by the agents at Budget... that the insurance purchased through them is NOT VALID if you are traveling on a dirt road.... check... be careful and note the small print.... if you do have a problem get towed back to pavement then call for help............
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the good input folks. Appreciate it!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 07:04 PM

the car needs to be on a road "normally" used for vehicle traffic. if you air down to get across a beach and get stuck until the tide comes in, your not covered. otherwise, any road is okay!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.