Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: looking for a few adventure minded
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 09:33 AM

Barry, I passed you and the other mohos in your caravan south of El Rosario waving and honking... then I pulled right in front of you with all my stickers for you to see... You never saw me either!

We call that 'Baja Blind'... all you see is that beautiul destination in your mind! :rolleyes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 10:38 AM

Wow DK - has it been that long?

Ken - minors are anyone who haven't reached the age of majority. So you are included as a major!

What's your favorite destination?? - easy - Mulege.
Is a a weekender @ Gonzaga Bay too tame for you? - heck no. easy trip. depends on tides, that's all.

nope....didn't see you at BOLA. haven't been back there in a long time.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 06:47 PM

Mike, check out my new plane!
http://www.daystarair.net/index.php?option=com_content&t...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 08:54 AM

sweet. looks just like Mike Bidwell's personal 421 (owner of AZ Cardinals and Flying Sams pilot) which he flew with us to Lopez on many trips.

i see they don't quote the rates on the website. 421s are maintenance hogs so owners are well heeled. i'd rather have a 414 though - no gear reduction drive on the engines. one less thing to break.

but yeah....still traveling in style.:tumble:

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 12:25 PM

David K, let's give Mike a little bump here. Do you still have that video of you and Mike on a Baja trip in his plane? If you can find it, run the part where both of you are holding up the wing while some Mexcanic tries to patch the landing gear piston which was leaking gas. Did you ever get that fixed Mike? Last we heard you had to have it patched over and over because a new one was just too costly.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 03:01 PM

that video you saw was shot by Greg Joder in Hermosillo returning from Loreto and a turtle conservation exposition he attended. We took on some nitrogen courtesy of my good friend of 24 years and trusted mechanic Enrique Garcia, to get us to Tucson where Greg and his brother were dropped off.

yes, i had that strut upper housing replaced shortly thereafter due to a stress crack that wouldn't seal up - got tired of fighting it. And last April we replaced the same part on the other side. Both were OEM from 1961 so i'd say they got their useful lives service.
and yes they were spendy as are all AC parts these days - but not necessarily a safety critical component. At over a $grand for each part alone plus labor to change out - one can justify airing up a slow leaking strut every other week or so. And - large temperature changes can cause a strut to leak a little too. It's part of a thorough walk around pre flight inspection.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 03:09 PM
do you know Chuck and Vickie

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertsurfergal
Hey we are in Havasu....pick us up too.

from Havascrew?

they are realtors. Had a place 5 miles north of Puertacitos for a good many years, one of the rock style houses. they flew into the strip there in a Hawk XP 195 HP Cessna. Used to see them a lot at Serenidad when they went further down.
i heard they sold but have not seen them in a while.

i was in Havasu in July looking at that BK Holiday Inn on the Island which got stopped at slab. Took a broker over from Phx who is trying to re fi it out of BK. I'd love to finish that project for someone.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 03:21 PM

I've never had to add nitrogen to the gear on my 180.....should I be checking it?....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 04:26 PM

another reason the 180 is such a great baja aeroplane dt.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 04:37 PM

A rubber trim piece that fills the gap between the gear leg and fusilage had split and was hanging out so I put a piece of duct tape over it to keep it from flapping in the breeze. My daughter was about to go flying with me when she saw it and said DUCT TAPE!!!! the landing gear is held on with DUCT TAPE!!!? "What's wrong with that" I replied, they don't call it 100 mph tape for nothing. OK then, she replied, just be sure to keep it under 100 mph.....(true story)...dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2009 at 11:39 PM

Mike, I've been wanting to do a trip like this for a long time. Maybe it's time. What time of the year are you thinking?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2009 at 08:49 AM

i dunno.

depends on what work comes up. come up with a plan and try to fill 3 seats then email me.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2009 at 04:48 PM

I'm definitely interested. Would hope that the trip is longer than 3 days to make the flight expense worthwhile. I promise to be on good behavior!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2009 at 02:43 PM

yur always on good behavior wilderone.
put some ideas together.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.