Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: GRAND CANYON and THE ONE-ARMED MAJOR
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-26-2009 at 10:13 AM

Crusoe,
Over two decades ago I was cataloging the books of Dennis Casebier - see http://www.mdhca.org/ - and noted a "thank you" in Colin Fletcher's book "The Man From the Cave". The inside cover had a 30 mile to the inch map of where the cave was near the Colorado river NE of Boulder City and in my naivete of the topology there, I announced I could find anything. A friend and I took a Jeep road to within a mile of where we thought the cave was.

Uh Oh! We were 1000 feet above the river and every direction was vertical. Hiking down a side canyon, we finally found it!

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2009 at 11:36 AM
Neal - a little explaining might help!

Neal is a little modest, but when you've been roaming the desert for nearly 110 years as he has, there isn't much you haven't seen.

Keep on exploring Neal, my friend.

Those were some awesome photos of the Grand Canyon - so properly named!

John M
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2009 at 11:55 AM
First Through The Canyon!

Papano wrote: "On their historic exploration of the Grand Canyon of the Colorado, Powell and his men traveled through tumultuous river rapids and tranquil calms, mountainous canyons and majestic plains in their journey, where no man had journeyed before."

One of the several "great controversies" of the Grand Canyon is whether J.W. Powell was, in fact, the first through the Grand Canyon. There are many, myself included, who subscribe to the belief that James White actually preceded Powell. White's journey was the result of a series of events that put him alone on a small raft he had constructed. And after days of a frightening, and life-threatening "ride," James White arrived at the Mormon settlement of Callville, south of the Canyon in an emaciated and near death condition on 8 September 1867. He was almost two years prior to Powell.

Of course, Powell supporters have dismissed White's claims and there is plenty of ammunition on both sides of the issue.

White was interviewed in early January 1868 by a man named Charles Christopher Parry, a geologist with the Union Pacific Railroad, Eastern Division Survey, at Hardyville, Arizona on the Colorado regarding his adventure.

It is my belief that WHITE WAS FIRST.

John M.

[Edited on 10-26-2009 by John M]
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2009 at 01:44 PM

Neal....The Cave is on one of my hiking "wish lists". I have not been there yet.But often read about it. Always so much to see when we are there and never enough time to see it all.Some of the most facinating desert country there is to see. Thanx ++C++
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2009 at 01:57 PM
Vertigo

Stay away from the edge, Roger.

There are forces beyond your control.

Detalle_peinado_Kim_Novak_filme_Vertigo_1958_Alfred_Hitchc-ck.jpg - 22kB
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2009 at 06:22 AM

Great post that brings back so many memories...

One of my roommates in the USAF was a grandson of one of the members of the Powell exploration.

Later in my USAF career I was stationed at Luke AFB in Phoenix. During that time I made two hikes to the bottom to Phantom Ranch, and camped out under the stars. The first tip down was in March and other one in November on the Bright Angel and the Kaibab trails. When we began the top was snow covered and cold, however about 1/2 way down the weather became comfortable and by the time we reached the Ranch it was very warm.

The canyon demonstrates seven (7) temperature zones - From the upper Huronian to the lower Sonoran. Therefore if any one has at this late date in life plan on hiking the canyon do it in the late fall or early winter and avoid the blistering heat.

As you recall that your former neighbor at Burro, Bob Jacobs, was also my cousin. We are some what distantly related to the former owners of Jacobs lake on the North side of the Canyon..It was not named after Bob but as I recall Jacob Hamlin, an early settler of the area.

Then of course there is Lee's Ferry at Marble Canyon-- both related to Bob and I
sdm
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-27-2009 at 11:42 AM

Roger where are you :?:

We're waiting.:(:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
Great post that brings back so many memories...

One of my roommates in the USAF was a grandson of one of the members of the Powell exploration.

Later in my USAF career I was stationed at Luke AFB in Phoenix. During that time I made two hikes to the bottom to Phantom Ranch, and camped out under the stars. The first tip down was in March and other one in November on the Bright Angel and the Kaibab trails. When we began the top was snow covered and cold, however about 1/2 way down the weather became comfortable and by the time we reached the Ranch it was very warm.

The canyon demonstrates seven (7) temperature zones - From the upper Huronian to the lower Sonoran. Therefore if any one has at this late date in life plan on hiking the canyon do it in the late fall or early winter and avoid the blistering heat.

As you recall that your former neighbor at Burro, Bob Jacobs, was also my cousin. We are some what distantly related to the former owners of Jacobs lake on the North side of the Canyon..It was not named after Bob but as I recall Jacob Hamlin, an early settler of the area.

Then of course there is Lee's Ferry at Marble Canyon-- both related to Bob and I
sdm

Hi Sam, nice to hear from you again.

Many years ago, when limbs were limber, I hiked down and camped barebones at the same place with my brothers. We experienced those unreal changes of climate, the sense of nature's grandeur, and a great time in our lives. Another trip, we rode mules down and ascended via helicopter. I'll take walking anytime.

I've also camped on the north rim, and am pleased to hear of my old friend's connection to the Grand Canyon. What can I say about Jake? One-of-a-kind and a Baja character from Way Back would be just a poor start. We had some times. A prized possession is the conch shell trumpet he made for me back in the day. Before I get kicked by a horse or dragged down by a giant Humboldt, I'm gonna fine-tune a coffee-table Baja journal I keep for the grandkids when they visit. Jake has a chapter to himself. I looked forward to seeing your classic brother for so many decades. A friend well met. RIP old gringo.

===================================================================

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Roger where are you :?:

We're waiting.:(:biggrin:

HEY, BACK NOW, ED...been busy.... :rolleyes:

"GETTING OUR KICKS..ON ROUTE 66!"

The Road To Baja.

Ah...out of the depths at last! After a sheer ascent up the south rim from the Colorado River far below.. ;) .. we made our goodbyes to spectacular Grand Canyon.

..and turn our attention to the Road to San Diego across Arizona and Southern California.

But...What route?..and what will be our ETA?

With all the forks in the road on this historical-minded expedition, route choices require deep thought and shrewd comtemplation. "Never rush in when you can crawl" serves for our travel motto. Therefore and thereof, while performing a ritual Cold Case Pacifico ceremony, which we adopted at Four Corners while marrooned overnight with Navajo spirits....we got down to discussing just how quick and direct a trail to follow..or should we just BLAZE a new one? We sacrificed many Pacificos and discussed the topic at lenthg...many, many sacrifices..into a beautiful sunset..and.late into the night.. which always follows a sunset...late, late into...the night.

The night resembled nothing so much as the nose of a giant Labrador in excellent health: cold, black, and wet.

and then towards dawn. Still perusing that question.."Which route to take?"

Sucking down the last of her ballena, and looking me square in the knee, my co-pilot murmured, "ASK THOSE COWS OUT THERE...hic.."

I levered my eyelids open enough to see what she was talking about..."What cows??"

"Oh..THOSE. Uh. sweetie..those are Longhorns..and they ain't cows."

But hey, just to humor my co-pilot I asked them.."Okay then, you longhorned vacas.. which way to San Diego?"

I swear those cattle had a slight Texas drawl as they said in unison, "If you just want to get to California, take the Interstate Freeways; if you want to get to the heart of the American century, take Route 66."

As soon as this sunk in, I stopped and stood staring in awe at those ganado for a few moments. Then, carefully stepping over my co-pilot to get to the last iced Pacifico, I thought, "What a great idea. Damned if they're not right! I would've never thought of that!"

Co-pilot snickered into the dust from ground level..."You could have just Googled it, too. Cows don't know everything."

sigh..."U. S. Highway "Route" 66 was commissioned in 1926, the year U. S. numbered highways came into existence. It consisted of a 'collection" of two-lane concrete or asphalt paved roads extending from Chicago to Santa Monica, running through the states of Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California. Route 66 is considered the "Mother Road" of American highways. The old "Main Street of America" was deactivated in 1984 and the U. S. 66 highway shields taken down, after being replaced by the modern interstate highway system."

Later that day...in our high desert camp.

I heard a hoarse mumble from below, "We're burning daylight, Pilgrim."

Okay, up and at 'em..no time to be laying about.

I broke camp at dawn. Then got up to make some coffee and greet the day while the co-pilot checks the day's provision supply.

(Breaking camp is an old cowboy expression for making wind.)

"What's this..ugh.. Bud Lite doing in here..yucko."

After readying the day's trek supplies, I send my trusty co-pilot up on the roof to deal with the pack rat who has taken up residence under the toilet vent. I was hit square on the noggin with a pine nut yesterday while calming reading Outdoor Life.

She readily accomplished that mission with a solid 'bang', then energetically signals we are now ready to head out on the trail....that is, IF I am ready?

I hate people who never get hangovers....

TRAIL GRUB.

She says, "You saddle up while I get some sandwiches for the Road."

"She walked toward him, her dress billowing in the wind -not a calm and predictable billows like the sea, but more like the billowing of a mildewed shower curtain in a cheap motel where one has to dance around to avoid touching it while trying to rinse off soap."

Okay..here we go.

Get Your Kicks..On Route 66!

TO BE CONTINUED ON ANOTHER THREAD.

- GETTING OUR KICKS ON ROUTE 66.-

[Edited on 10-28-2009 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 03:20 PM

Good gosh!

So Jake taught you how to "honk your conch."

I first visited San Carlos on the mainland about 1955 after the first and only international Mexican/American Spearfishing meet organized by Ernest Zarazota. My visit was to camp, explore and spearfish. And I wasn't disappointed.

I discovered that the ocean floor at that time was covered with conchs. So I harvested a 10 year supply --like I would never return and there would be no tomorrow.

I returned to civilization and began making conch horns...and began "honking my conch." Some where along the line I I gave one to Jake...So therefore it can be concluded that your conch horn is a grand son of my original.

Your route will take you through (Bill) Williams --Rod's Steak house is great! They marinate the steak in a sugar solution so it is sweet and tasty.. Oatman--watch out for the burroes, they have the right a way. Kingman...Andy Divine's home town. My son was in a medical residency there for four years...Lived on John Wayne street...All the streets in his sub division were named after cowboy movie stars...It is worth the drive to check out the names of those who were our Saturday matinee heroes when we were pre-teens.

via con dios,
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.