Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Buying meat in Baja
amelia

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 02:00 PM
Buying meat in Baja

Where is a good place to stop and load up the cooler with some steaks, chicken, ribs etc... heading south towards BoLa
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 02:05 PM

Ribs, buy stateside. Everything else, Costco in Ensenada would be one stop and good quality.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 02:23 PM

Commercial & WalMart in Ensenada are also good places

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 02:29 PM

The Costco, Wal-Mart and Comercial Mexicano are all near each other South of downtown on Highway One. Please note, if you are not a Costco member, Costco of Mexico is majority owned by Comercial Mexicano, which is just across the street, and likely has a larger selection of smaller quantity packages.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 02:40 PM

Just bar-b-qued a rib eye I bought at Costco in Ensenada last night and it was one of the best steaks I ever had!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Just bar-b-qued a rib eye I bought at Costco in Ensenada last night and it was one of the best steaks I ever had!

That is because it was one of Shari's Burros.:lol::lol:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 03:21 PM

Taking beef to Baja is like taking fish on a hunting trip.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 04:59 PM

Costco's beef is good, but nothing spectacular. One of the few good things about this recession, is that top quality Mexican beef from Sonora is staying home, and if you invest some time tasting steaks from a few producers, you can find amazing beef at half the price of Costco. Remember, Sonora doesn't automatically mean great quality, theres good and bad producers everywhere. Costco's ribeye steaks are about $270 pesos x kilo, to give you an idea on how expensive is that. We manage to buy top quality beef directly from one of the top producers in Sonora, we fly it in twice a week, and its still 20% cheaper and the quality much better.

We also used to buy American Lamb from a distributor of US foods, but we found a local producer who sells exclusively to good restaurants and hotels in southern Baja. His Lamb is not only much better tasting and fresh, but about 30% cheaper.

Theres plenty of great things around, just do a little homework and you will find them.

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 05:02 PM

Dennis:

"Taking beef to Baja is like taking fish on a hunting trip" :lol::lol:

Good one!

Iflyfish
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 05:11 PM

Thanks for the education, Jesse. But let's remember, this thread was sterted by someone looking to pack a cooler or two with meat to hang out in BOLA. My guess is that the quality and price are going to be trumped by Dos Equis.:P
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 06:34 PM

Want Cheap Filet Migon "El Florido" north Rosarito off the free road from TJ to Rosarito 86 pesos a kilo. Make sure they cut up for you there is a butcher on duty 9-6. They sell it in Shrink wraped two filets per package. If you only want only one just tell the butcher also it gives you a chance for the sniff test. I've found the prices at Costco are for dumb gringos also wallymart a total gringo rip off 130 plus pesos per kilo.
PS BONEHEADS the costco meat is from the US duh...
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 06:50 PM

Jessie, You above anyone know your cuts of meat, heck, you own the best restaurant in La Paz. The rib eye steak I had last night was expensive but as I said it was A+ in quality. I have bought meat at Costco that wasn't that good but this one was far and away the best. Each time I go to Hermosillo I eat at the same steak house and have never been disappointed with Sonoran beef. It has a taste all it's own.
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
Want Cheap Filet Migon "El Florido" north Rosarito off the free road from TJ to Rosarito 86 pesos a kilo. Make sure they cut up for you there is a butcher on duty 9-6. They sell it in Shrink wraped two filets per package. If you only want only one just tell the butcher also it gives you a chance for the sniff test. I've found the prices at Costco are for dumb gringos also wallymart a total gringo rip off 130 plus pesos per kilo.
PS BONEHEADS the costco meat is from the US duh...

Do you have a landmark or Km for El Florido?

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

We also used to buy American Lamb from a distributor of US foods, but we found a local producer who sells exclusively to good restaurants and hotels in southern Baja. His Lamb is not only much better tasting and fresh, but about 30% cheaper.

Jesse
we'll be in La Paz in a few weeks. Is it possible for us to buy lamb from this producer while we are there? If so, could you give me a clue as where to find them?
Had "LAMB" thread here a while ago, but never got any definitive answer.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 07:16 PM

Jesse, you own a restaurant in La Paz...with good steaks? Please, tell me where it is and what is its name? I have been going to the Kiwi restaurant on the Malecon for steaks and I am satisfied, but I could use a good alternative as well.

Sorry to other Nomads as I suspect this is one of those things that everybody else knows except me.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Jesse, you own a restaurant in La Paz...with good steaks? Please, tell me where it is and what is its name? I have been going to the Kiwi restaurant on the Malecon for steaks and I am satisfied, but I could use a good alternative as well.

Sorry to other Nomads as I suspect this is one of those things that everybody else knows except me.

From the Kiwi, go two blocks up the street(away from the malecon) hang a left and it's about in the second block on your right. It's called "Tres Virgines" and compared to Kiwi it's like Tavern on the Green. Well, almost.:biggrin::biggrin:

And now.....waiting comments on how far off I am.:biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 10-29-2009 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 07:48 PM

If you look for the c-ck fights you can find great buys on chicken the next day, it's already been tenderized!

Live Indubiously!
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 07:49 PM

El Florido comming from TJ to rosarito on the free road once you start to hit the stop lights its on the north side of the street. It's a big grocery store you really cant miss it if you've gone all the way to the toll road you have gone too far. Also for those of you in Ensenada try "La Canasta" for good beef it's a few blocks from KFC ask any of the locals all the beef is from Sonora. The Butchers will help you but expect to pay 120 pesos per kilo, none the less good filet. Thats all we buy in Mexico. Dont mess with the Rib eyes or New Yorks go right for the Filet it's super cheap in comparison to US beef and great quality. Also "Los Globos" the Flea Market in Ensenada has a lot of good fresh meat and great quesos and super fresh produce. They have a freshly slaughtered hog there every Saturday. It's important to speak spanish in Mexico other wise your shopping at walmart for beef like a dumb burro. Most Mexican dont eat Filet to expensive and thier used to that paper thin cut beef they use for carne asada. Just Check it out next time your at the meat counter its a trip. My buds and are going to buy a suckling pig.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 08:30 PM
Mexicorn, Thanks for the Info on El Florido

I have noticed that big, attractive store and wondered about it.

It's a bit far off my regular shopping track, but if it is worth a special visit, I am definitely going there.

[Edited on 10-29-2009 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 10-28-2009 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Jesse
we'll be in La Paz in a few weeks. Is it possible for us to buy lamb from this producer while we are there? If so, could you give me a clue as where to find them?
Had "LAMB" thread here a while ago, but never got any definitive answer.

vandenberg,
I would never presume to speak for Jesse or any other person,

but as a person familiar with restaurants, etc....here's a couple pennies worth...for what it's worth....

Depending on who and where the lamb producers are, they may only sell to wholesale outlets. They don't want to deal with individual customers who want one roast, "and can you trim that bit of fat off the roast before you weigh it....and that bit of grisle needs to come off also and ...and...and..." or two lamb chops......or.....you know what I mean.

It also might be a licensing issue but on this I have no accurate knowledge about how that whole retail vs wholesale issue works in MX. All I know is that NOB there are different licensing/inspection/tax requirements depending on how you are licensed.

But perhaps Jesse could order in a case of a cut you would like and pass it on to you with a little mark up.

I have asked my local restaurants and grocery stores to order items for me on occasion and most are more than willing to help as long as they get their cut.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.