Printable Version  
Author: Subject: THE MOTHER ROAD - "GET YOUR KICKS ON ROUTE 66"
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 10:02 AM

Cool... nice hat, too!

We drove 66 through Arizona last year... was great fun.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 10:18 AM

Have driven a large part of 66. Makes for great adventure.

Main memory from Williams AZ was getting snowed in some time in March/April a stretch of time ago.:biggrin:

Great report Roger, thanks for those trips back in time.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 12:47 PM

Great Post, Roger. It reminded me of a number of trips I took along that route. When the interstate highway system was started, one of the important aspects of the legislation was to provide ample time for many of the towns along the way to prepare for the loss of traffic and tourism. Thus, as the interstates along old 66 were being paved, they completed virtually all of the intercity rural roads first, detouring travelers through the towns. Of course, we all know that the giant oil companies, fast food chains and motel chains grabbed up the land around what was to become the bypass routes. Most towns eventually suffered. Some virtually disappeared (like along 66 in the California Mojave). Some, like Williams AZ reinvented themselves. There are many restored buildings, neat restaurants, Etc. They were also able to get that train thing to the Canyon going full steam.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 01:30 PM

sister lived in williams for years - 55 min flight from phx to their little airport - great summer heat escape; wish you could have detoured 30 min to Valle airport, there is a helluva warbird museum there and a ford trimotor that gives rides., did Oatman on the harley during the Laughlin river run for years.

great stuff roger.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 01:34 PM

Pompano, Thanks. :D Ready for the next edition.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 03:22 PM

Great stuff Pompano! Thanks for letting us travel via the internets with you and yours!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 04:55 PM

Maharis and Milner before fame with 'Route 66':

rt66.jpg - 49kB
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

You sure that's not Edgar Bergin and Charlie McCarthy?
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 05:12 PM

A late almost forgotten post

Good gosh!

So cousin Jake taught you how to "honk your conch."

I first visited San Carlos on the mainland about 1955 after the first and only international Mexican/American Spearfishing meet organized by Ernest Zarazota. My visit was to camp, explore and spearfish. And I wasn't disappointed.

I discovered that the ocean floor at that time was covered with conchs. So I harvested a 10 year supply --like I would never return and there would be no tomorrow.

I returned to civilization and began making conch horns...and began "honking my conch." Some where along the line I I gave one to Jake...So therefore it can be concluded that your conch horn is a grand son of my original.

Your route will take you through (Bill) Williams --Rod's Steak house is great! They marinate the steak in a sugar solution so it is sweet and tasty..

Oatman--watch out for the burroes, they have the right a way.

Kingman...Andy Divine's home town. My son was in a medical residency there for four years...Lived on John Wayne street...All the streets in his sub division were named after cowboy movie stars...It is worth the drive to check out the names of those who were our Saturday matinee heroes when we were pre-teens.

via con dios,
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2009 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

You sure that's not Edgar Bergin and Charlie McCarthy?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You mean Candice Bergen's dad and his puppet?

:lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-1-2009 at 09:24 AM

The animated movie CARS did a great job teaching the value of preserving the memory of The Mother Road, Route 66. Baja Racer (holds the record for fastest time to La Paz on the original main road/ 1000 route) and artist Dave Deal created most of the Car characters in the movie.

A sample of Dave Deal art:

Steekers, Dave Deal, David K...

[Edited on 11-1-2009 by David K]

IMG_1604-r.JPG - 26kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 08:59 AM

WONDERFUL!!!

Thank you so much Roger... You do an excellent travel log... Thank you!

schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 10:02 AM

Wow, Pompano!

Thanks for this thread and the great pictures...

Talk about memory lane... Made that trip in the early 70's from Chicago all the way to the Santa Monica Pier.... Time of year was April... and the weather was wierd... everything from torrential downpours, tornadoes, to blizzards dumping two feet of snow in 12 hours between Amarillo, TX and Tucumcari, NM...

Glad I made the trip... Maybe again one day!

Thanks again!
Linda
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 04:44 PM

Roger, thanks for the great report on Route 66 - as an aside regarding Bobby Troup - I had the pleasure for many years to enjoy hearing his trio out at Whittinghill's on Ventura Boulevard in the San Vernando Valley and later at the China Trader in the Toluca Lake area. Just a great person and talent. He moved on to television with the Emergency program and I missed seeing him live quite a bit. In addition to Route 66 he wrote several other songs and co-wote many others.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 04:57 PM

A Nash Metropolitan?:?:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.