Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jose Amate
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2004 at 12:48 PM
Jose Amate

Whatever happened to Jose Amate from Ensenada? I used to enjoy his articles and point of view in "Money Matters".

He had alot of enemies in Ensenada and San Felipe, the rumor was they were trying to do him in.

He was originally from Oakland, CA. We met him once and I spoke on the phone to him once.

You either loved him, or you hated him.

Anyway, he's tight with the in crowd of prosecutors and attorneys and politicos from Ensenada - miss his writing and perspectives.

[Edited on 6-30-2004 by Margie]

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2004 at 02:46 PM
I don't know the man.......

Nor has he ever done anything to me, but apparently the people at this website have had problems,

http://www.mexicaland.com/

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2004 at 03:34 PM

I don't know the story - the whole story of what went down there, so I can't say.

I do know that parts of the story were inaccurate. Forinstance, Jose Amate did own a home out on the Spit and sold it before the big disaster out there. He also is/was part owner of that newer motel on the left just before La Joya.

Regarding Immigration in Ensenada - wow, that's a story. It was incredibly corrupt, only about four years ago, our friend Marcos set up the computer system there. But people were so frustrated with how Immigration worked, prior to the new appointment of the chief, noone, or a majority of people would hire outside help to do their FM3's. It was cheaper than doing it yourself at Immigration.

I hope Jose really isn't a crook - I did find a site at http://www.mexicomatters.com/

The picture of him giving the guy the bird is great.

And, the Gazeete wouldn't have anything to do with him if he was a bad guy.

Jose, Jose, where are you ? Give us your side of the story, and liven up this place a little with your political insights.

xxxooo

Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 7-2-2004 at 09:58 PM
Jose is okay !

Jose Amate is okay, recovering from big court battle which he won.

He will be speaking at the Real Estate Conference at the Rosarito Beach Hotel on July the 8th and 9th.

Yea ! Jose ! We aways knew you were a good guy !!

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2004 at 11:32 PM

Think he's OK?;)
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 7-4-2004 at 06:44 PM

FrankO - what's the deal, you know something we don't?

According to him via e-mail, half of these charges against him were dropped, the other he won.

I know alot of people hated him, mostly Americans who couldn't stand his point of view and connections.

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2004 at 06:49 PM

NO. I was just responding to your "he's OK" post in triplicate. It was funny to me( I'm pretty easily amused) but since your triplicate posts have been deleted it's just not the same.:no:
And, yes, I might know something you don't but it doesn't have anything to do with this topic;).
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 7-4-2004 at 07:11 PM

Okay FrankO. I know - this computer is drivin g me crazy. I try to post, and then the post doesn't show up, so I do it again and again, then all of them show up. then, I try to delete them, and they don't delete.

I don't know if it's the Board or my connection. As long as you're here, is Off-Topic Closed?

Thanks Frank O.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2004 at 08:24 PM

My information, which comes from some of the organizers, says that Mr Amate will not be speaking at the conference. No way, no how.

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2004 at 09:00 PM

This is wierd. I went to edit my message and it allowed me to go into edit mode on other people's posts. Imagine, being able to make other people look as foolish as myself. :lol:
P.S. What I know you could stick in a thimble.:cool:
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 7-4-2004 at 09:08 PM

Really, Dave ? Well, nothing surprises me anymore down here. Anyway, I'm too busy to go check it out on those days.

And here's another strange thing. Finally, I got on board here, but only by hitting the refresh button four times.

FrankO, you wield great power, whoa !

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-5-2004 at 10:19 AM

Something is very fishy when a guy has 10+ aliases. The site really paints him as a thug.
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 7-5-2004 at 12:07 PM

Well, yea, but that is just according to that guy who lost the court case and the Mexican Court dropped the other charges.

A fishing expedition and scurilous accusations with no merit ????

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-6-2004 at 12:33 PM

Kind of like the MM 911 movie.....
Lots of one sided 1/2 truths can make anyone look bad :yes:
whodat54321
Nomad

Mood: trying new stuf

[*] posted on 7-6-2004 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Kind of like the MM 911 movie.....
Lots of one sided 1/2 truths can make anyone look bad :yes:

I saw that flic a few days ago. His final point was there is a ruling class in the USA. So? The founding fathers weren't a bunch of poor dirtbags. Someone has to run things, and someone has to put out the trash at night.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-8-2004 at 12:53 PM

I have known Amate for about 15 years and will make no comment. Except those cigars ar unusual.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2004 at 06:38 PM

I gave him a phone call after seeing his ad in the Gringo Gazette. He seemed like a decent enough person over the phone. After going through the allegations on the web site listed though, I think I'll pass on hooking up with him when I go to Ensenada. At the mexicaland website, there's a recording of his voice on an answering machine with a very nasty message, it's definitely his voice. By the way, I've heard the Gringo Gazette (south) is not above reproach. I was told a story about them threatening to smear a large developer who wouldn't advertise with them. There's a lot of bad people in this world that will take the money of those who don't do their homework.

[Edited on 7-10-2004 by rogerj1]
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2004 at 08:46 PM
Aside from Jose Amate

The Gringo Gazzette is the most opinionated puppy training tool I have ever seen.
Just check out all the page #5's. They don't respect the Mexicans or even the gringos reading their trash.
The good part for them is, the gringos soak it up like a bible. Brilliant folks!:lol:
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 7-11-2004 at 08:29 PM

I haven't listened to the recording, but I can imagine, he's a real street fightin' man.

I think the Gazette is getting a bad rap here, granted, it is for the gringos, and the real estate ads drive you crazy. But, they came to bat for the Animal Sanctuary when it was getting run out of town, exposed the Red Cross here and in San Felipe, good coverage of the Ejido dispute in Bahia de Los Angeles, good current Baja state news, impressive coverage of the battle in Rosarito against LNG facilitiy,good fishing reports, good art and book reviews.

So give us an example of how it is opinionated and disrespectful towards Mexican people .

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2004 at 04:21 PM
Well Margie,

I am not interested in going back through all the articles. Especially for someone like you who has knowledge of everything.
The gringo was famous for disrespecting the locals as well as almost everyone. They were famous for it.
They have gotten a little better since she was deported and the girls split but, those that do know Baja realize that a good portion of the dung that comes out of that paper is like listening to you.
Why bother?:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.