Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Guadalupe Island Airport
Carlos Fiesta
Junior Nomad

Mood: Fiesty

[*] posted on 11-12-2009 at 11:41 PM
Guadalupe Island Airport

Fellow Pilots!
Looking for an amazing flying adventure? Isla Guadalupe is about 150 miles southwest of Ensenada (over open ocean the whole way!) and like stepping back in time. The barren island is the most westerly piece of real estate in all of Mexico and a true adventure. The CH-22 Baja map does not show an airport but there is one in the center of the island on top of a hill. It is about 2,500' long, 35 ' wide and the surface of the runway is firm dirt with some small loose rocks. It is a bit like Catalina Airport in that the runway comes to an abrupt end (especially at the east end) and there is no room for error. There is no official ramp parking, but there is an area on the south east end where a bulldozer has cleared away enough dirt for a couple of planes to park off of the runway. Since the airport gets very little traffic most planes just park up against the dirt berm on the south east end. There is nothing at the airport itself, so if you want a ride to town (Punta Oeste - population 80) just buzz the village before landing. Senor Guadalupe (yes...that is his real name!) will come pick you up in a truck that you swear will not make it another mile. The folks in town will put you up in a house if you want to spend the night. I spent a week at the island on a boat with National Geographic filming a series on the migration of the Great White sharks, who hang out at the north eat end of the island. A small navy base at the very far south of the island likes to keep track of visitors. An unbellievable experience!
Carlos
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 05:25 AM

Sounds awesome Carlos! Do you have photos to show us here, or a link to your site with photos?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 10:55 AM

wow, but i'd hate to do the 300 miles RT in one leg because there was a RW problem once i got there.

we should do isla Natividad and Cedros since you surf . we can use baja airventure's stored boards. just call Kevin and ask.
and go stay at Shari's too.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Carlos Fiesta
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 08:56 PM
Isla Guadalupe photos?

David K and Mike;

1) Yes I did take some amazing pictures (including sharks!)and I will make it a point to share them soon.

2) Regarding range, it is a bit scary because the airstrip is often covered with clouds and then it can be a wasted trip.
We snuck in under a solid 3,000 foot ceiling...barely!

Carlos
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 11:38 PM

Carlos, what were you guys flying?
You're right, it is just like Catalina. I did the sneak under the clouds trick there once. When I got to the terminal I found out the airport was closed. It was IFR and they don't have an instrument approach.
But no one saw me do it.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Carlos Fiesta
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 10:46 PM
Landing at Guadalupe Island

Fishbuck!

Are you sure you were at the same Guadalupe Island? The one 150 miles south east of Ensenada has no terminal...just a short abanonded looking rough strip in the middle of friggin nowhere! I'd like to say I was in my A-19 Beechcraft, but on that trip I was in my friend's Experiemental Epic Turboprop. It's a fast bird with an extreme appitite for Jet-A!!!

Where is it you landed where the terminal was closed?
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 08:00 AM

Carlos,

If my memory is correct Catalina's elevation is about 1600 msl...what is it at G.I. ?

[Edited on 11-15-2009 by karenintx]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 08:07 AM

Carlos - you have a friend with an EPIC??
that is about the coolest plane around. like a PC 12 but sporty, almost like a TBM 850.

will he take it into dirt? several turbine props go into serenidad all the time.
that flight to GI is fast in the Epic. no landing avail?? no sweat - 30 minutes back to land.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-16-2009 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos Fiesta
Fishbuck!

Are you sure you were at the same Guadalupe Island? The one 150 miles south east of Ensenada has no terminal...just a short abanonded looking rough strip in the middle of friggin nowhere! I'd like to say I was in my A-19 Beechcraft, but on that trip I was in my friend's Experiemental Epic Turboprop. It's a fast bird with an extreme appitite for Jet-A!!!

Where is it you landed where the terminal was closed?

No Carlos. I was just agreeing with your comparison of Catalina.
But I'd go to GI is I had the right plane. I hear the fishing is good there.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-16-2009 at 11:19 PM

"Where is it you landed where the terminal was closed?"

My story was from Catalina. Sometimes when you get there is has a cloud layer at about 2000 feet and the runway elevation is 1600.
I landed there Visual Flight Rules when the airport was closed because it was Instrument meteorological conditions. I didn't know so I landed there.

[Edited on 11-17-2009 by fishbuck]

Carlos Fiesta
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2009 at 11:52 PM
Aircraft carrier landings at Catalina and Guadalupe Island;

Fishbuck;

You are right...Catalina airport can get a nice layer of clouds right over the airstrip and I came very close to getting stuck there about a month ago after the clouds came in when I finished my Buffalo Burger. But a quick 180 after departure that kept me free of clouds!!!

Capt'n Mike;

Yes...the plane I spend most of my time in (after my Beech) is my buddies Epic (serial #11). It's a fast bird for sure, but I'm glad he picks up the fuel costs!!! Guadalupe Island is the first and last non-paved strip I could talk him into. Last month when I flew to Punta San Francisquito I couldn't talk him into following along because of the dirt strip. But I might be able to talk him into the Senenidad later this year.

Carlos
Carlos Fiesta
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 12:02 AM
Guadalupe Airport Elevation

Karenintx~

I'm guessing here but I would say the elevation of the airport is about 1,000 feel above sea level, no more than 1,500. So in that respect it is also like Catalina. There is higher terrain both north and south of the airport but it is not a difficult airstrip to land on. The clouds were the main problem for us. But luckily the area directly over the runway was clear. The texture of the airstrip is a little bit wierd, kind of a combimation of dirt and crushed asphalt. I walked the strip after we landed and there were not too many rocks.

The island is very amazing. The geology is very different, mostly of volcanic origin. If you Google Earth it you can see some very distinct volcanic cones.

I'll try to get some photos online soon...

Carlos
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 12:25 AM

"But a quick 180 after departure that kept me free of clouds!!!"

I was sitting there after a day at the beach. Clouds had closed in. I was wondering what to do and I watched a couple guys ahead of me.
No climb out and then dive into the canyon a little. R/H downwind departure recommended. There is a good chunk of Cumulogranite to the left! Not recommended.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 08:15 AM

"Last month when I flew to Punta San Francisquito I couldn't talk him into following along because of the dirt strip. But I might be able to talk him into the Senenidad later this year."

whaaaat???!! you went to PSFO and didn't invite me?
shame... :lol:
seriously - if he didn't want to use PSFO he'll get no improvement from GLL.
just tell him king airs, pilatus PC 12 and Aero Commander 680 series, Malibu Meridians, Jetprop DXL and a few BOs w/ the conversion go into Serenidad all the time.
the worse he'll get is paint dings. but i understand how that alone keeps people away. it's all about how you want to get the most fun out of your steed.

arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 11-17-2009 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
"But a quick 180 after departure that kept me free of clouds!!!"

Fishbuck and Carlos:

I just noticed this thread about Catalina. First off, Fishbuck, Catalina does have an IFR approach, it actually has two approaches. MDA is about 2200 MSL, going from memory. Secondly, there are two legal ways to get out of Catalina when it is overcast, without scud running. Catalina is uncontrolled airspace up to 700 AGL. So, if the status layer is low you can just take off straight out, as long as you are above it before 2300MSL, assuming you are IFR rated. No ATC clearance is needed.

The other way is to contact Approach Control via radio while on the ground at Catalina and file for a pop up IFR and get a squawk code. Then you can takeoff.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
Carlos Fiesta
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 12:27 AM

Capt'n Mike:

Any chance you can give me a quick lesson on how to post some of my photos of Guadalupe Island on this page? Once I learn the process I will be good to go, but my brain is tired and I aint that smart to begin with...thanks!

Carlos
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 07:46 AM

1st - don't use the quick reply box at bottom. use the post reply shaded button at the right bottom of any individual post.
then write your subject matter and posting title.
at the lower section of the dialog box click on browse and find your pictures on your computer. the max file size here is 50 KB so check properties on any pic you want to up load for size - if higher than 50 KB you have to reduce the pic size in one of the free programs avail.
then up load and post.
easy right??:lol::lol::lol:
here - i'll do one from your PSFO trip. in the next post this thread.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 07:48 AM
pic of PSFO from Carlos Fiesta air raid

here's the steeds parked.
man i want to be there!
Chuck - i'll post some more too.

1197.jpg - 24kB

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 07:51 AM
palapa hanging.....

who caught fish and who caught a buzz???

1194.jpg - 30kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 08:18 AM

Carlos, if the photos are posted on another web site like BajaExpo.com or a phototobucket.com you do not have to reduce the size to under 50 kb and you can post multiple photos in one post/ one reply. Use the photo posting icon or the code [IMG] before the photo's URL and [/IMG] after it.

I posted instructions in greater detail on the Nomad photos forum... here it is again:

A review of three methods from an older thread... for the new Nomads or the PC challenged Nomads... Note: there are many methods, and I suggest you go to the older thread where 'everyone' provided their favorite... the following are MY prefered methods, and I want to keep it as easy as possible to help folks who are photo posting challenged.

A) ADDING A PHOTO THAT IS IN YOUR PC PICTURES FOLDER:

A photo that is in your computer file can be displayed on Nomad pages in certain forums where it is allowed...

The photo's file size must be BELOW 50 kbs to post here. Open your photo file ('My Pictures' or ?) find the photo you want to share and move your mouse arrow onto the photo thumbnail... a pop up will tell you how big it is in kbs or mbs (1000 kb=1 mb).

TO POST A PHOTO:

Simply click the button labled 'Browse' just below where you type a message, and your pc will pop up a window of your photo files... simply click on the photo you wish to post (if it is under 50 kbs). The post must have a subject or some text with the photo to post.

IF your photo is over 50 kbs, then here is one method to reduce the size, and make it a duplicate (so the original full size photo is preserved). I thank Neal Johns for showing me.

(If the photo you want to post is already on another web site, then you may 'hot link' it to Nomad, and the size doesn't matter... unless it isn't too big and distorts the screen. Hot linking will be described below.)

PHOTOS IN YOUR PC OVER 50 KB, click on each step:

If 'paint' isn't on your deck top, do this (click on):

a) Start

b) All Programs

c) Accesories
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Paint (start here if 'paint' is on your desk top)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) File

3) Open...

3a) then click on the photo to get reduced (double click).

4) Image

5) Stretch/Skew... then change the % down from 100 in both boxes in sketch to a lesser number.... (if over 700 kb try 25%, if 400 kb try 35%, if 120 kb try 70%, if 60 kb try 90%)

Continue to Click on:

6) OK

7) File

8) Save As

8a) now type in a new name for the reduced photo or add -r to it to indicate it is the 'reduced' one... this is a copy so you don't mess with the original.

9) Save

THAT'S IT!

Now, click on file and open again, move your mouse arrow over the reduced photo and see if it is between 25 and 50 kb.

When you move the mouse over the reduced photo in the files, the kb size will show and let you know if you didn't get it low enough, or too low! In either case, repeat the steps above... working with the original, large photo.

After you do a couple it gets pretty easy.

=====================================================

B) HOT LINKING FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE:

If the photo you want to show on Nomad is already on another web site, and it is your photo or you have permission to use it, then get the url of the photo... and click on
which is right above where you type a message. A pop up will give you a place to paste the url of the photo.

To get the url (begins with http:// ), move your mouse over that photo and right click on it, then left click 'properties' in the new pop up. Copy the address/ url with your mouse to paste on Nomad in

Here is a hot link from my web site:

If you have your photos on a photo album web site, there may be a direct link option that will have the html tags ([img]) already included... see Photobucket.com instructions below...

======================================================

C) PHOTOBUCKET.COM

Photos can be copied onto your (free) photobucket.com album from your PC files... just pre select the size reduction setting as 15" screen or smaller... not 17" and not 1 mg. so the Nomad board doesn't get streched wide requiring awkward right scrolling to read messages.

To show any photos on Nomad, put your mouse on your photobucket photo, and a drop down menu will appear with these four choices and a url or 'code' next to each... for that photo:

Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code

Copy the last one (IMG Code), and paste that right on the Nomad page where you type a message... where ever you want the photo to appear in your thread.

===================================================

[Edited on 11-18-2009 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.