Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: New rules for FM-2?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 10:46 AM
New rules for FM-2?

Someone over here in the boating community just got back from the immigration office in Guaymas. He was there to renew his FM-3. The official he talked to pointed out that you DON'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE FM-3 PROCESS TO GET AN FM-2!!!! Basically he explained that FM-3s are now for long term tourists who are staying more than 180 days but the FM-2 is for residents and/or people working their way towards citizenship.

Anybody else heard anything about this???? Is this new or have a number of us been operating on the assumption that you must have an FM-3 for x number of years before you can qualify for an FM-2?

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 11:27 AM

It has been my experience here in SF they cannot seem to make up their minds?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 11:54 AM

Yes its true generally. I just met with INM to ask and spoke to both the abogado and agent. I can not confirm if there is a required time period with fm-3 or not as there was before. But yes everyone should be on the fm-2 track who who wants to stay and with 2 years on FM-2 you can go permanent migratorio or naturalized using the DNN form. A FM-2 costs about 2600 a year versus 2200 for FM-3 and the book fee is about 400 pesos for fm-3 and 650 for fm-2. So you pay more up front but hopefully complete the process in a few years and never pay again.

Also, I asked about independent workers visa-they said that yes individuals can get a work visa without a sponsor company, they apply for persona fisica in the hacienda and begin their process as a permited worker with personal RFC # with hacienda. Your skill should be identified clearly as one skill and you should have a cetification and an apostile in order to start off on the right track with specific visa, such as gla s cutter or carpenter but not both.

Anyway, I have done this before as have others and it's a fairly clear process but as you can see by the above you are going to paying about $300 yr at the minimum and likely more as you earn more since you must pay taxes on income etc...

Sometimes appointments are required but generally you may visit the INM or Hacienda or call and get some answers to get started. I bet if you pursue it you could finish the entire process in about 1 week or maybe 2.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 12:02 PM

gnukid, can you get an FM-2 lucrativo as you can with an FM-3? My wife works down here (yes, as an independent with no sponsorship) on an FM-3 lucrativo but we are wondering if there is an FM-2 equivalent.

Just wondering..........we will be going by INM next week.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 12:05 PM

Yes of course, and once FM-2 I seem to gather a little more wiggley room. The time requirement thing is not an issue unless you are trying to demonstrate and establish residency- it's just a guideline not a requirement for FM-2.
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 12:32 PM

I got this from the person we use for our.

YES, THE LAW IS CHANGE THIS YEAR BUT LET ME EXPLAIN.
THE CHANGE IS:
ONLY YOU NEED 3 YEARS WITH FM-3 AND YOU CAN START WITH FM-2. (IF YOU HAVE BANK TRUST)

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 01:10 PM

gnukid,

Thanks for link in the other thread to

http://www.thepaperchase.com.mx/

I'm going to switch from FM-3 to FM-2 and may use their services.

http://www.thepaperchase.com.mx/services.php#Immigration

BTW, I'm reading a book by Peter Dale Scott, "The Road to 9/11". I thought of you while reading. You may like his books, if you haven't already read them.

Thanks again for the link.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
But yes everyone should be on the fm-2 track who who wants to stay and with 2 years on FM-2 you can go permanent migratorio

How does that differ from Inmigrado?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 01:17 PM

actually this is a couple of years old

there is no wait to get an FM2
you can go directly there

you can also get the work attachment with the FM2

the benifit is
after 5 years no more renewals

there is a limit how long you can be out of the country in the five years

it does cost a little more but after 5 years you'll be way better off

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 01:17 PM

Whatever else, I just paid $395 bucks for an agent to renew my FM2. I'll be glad when All this nonsense is behind me.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 01:21 PM

i agree...

our website is:
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 01:57 PM

Now, for where this is all leading..................

IF you get through the FM-2 process and achieve the exalted inmigrado status, has anyone ever been able to dissolve their trust and own their property free and clear?

Does anyone know anyone who has done this?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Now, for where this is all leading..................

IF you get through the FM-2 process and achieve the exalted inmigrado status, has anyone ever been able to dissolve their trust and own their property free and clear?

Does anyone know anyone who has done this?

No, Hook...Haven't heard but, it seems logical one could, for a price of course. Maybe you could just sell your house to yourself.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 02:14 PM

cant do it

you're still a foreigner

our website is:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
cant do it

you're still a foreigner

Come to think of it, that's right. Can't vote either. I know that'll break your heart.
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 03:21 PM

For those with land leases, the wait is still the 5 years according to the guy we use anyway...

squid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 07:31 PM

O.K., this is discussed over.. and over... and over again.
(but don't you worry, there are always some guys here who know everything better than the INM. Those i.e. who purchased land holding an FMT)
FM-T : You have no rights at all other than entering the country. You have to leave within 180 days. You are not allowed to sign contracts whats-o-ever !!!
Any contract you sign without an FM-3/2 is illegal and you might loose whatever you purchased on an FMT. Cars. Homes. Bankaccounts. everything. We had this discussion before.
FM-3 : you have very limited rights i.e. you can stay for one year. You can open a bankaccount. Sign legal and other contracts. etc. etc. Renewal before 12 month required.
FM-2 : after holding an FM-3 for 5 years you can apply ( ! - no guarante that you get it ) for an FM-2. If you 'own' land on a Fido (Banktrust) you can shorten that time by 2 years. Owning land free and clear on any FM is out of discussion. Mexico belongs to the Mexicans-and we want to keep it this way. Period
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by squid
Mexico belongs to the Mexicans-and we want to keep it this way. Period

Who's "we"?
Ricardo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 08:03 PM

Just checking so are you saying all those Thousands of absentee landowners don't even own thier property even though it was signed at a consulate, and mexico city approved and signed all the title type documents.
plus they have been paying taxes and fees all along but haven't had the opportunity to go to mexico lately thus don't need a visa of any sort.
Rick
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2009 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo
Just checking so are you saying all those Thousands of absentee landowners don't even own thier property even though it was signed at a consulate, and mexico city approved and signed all the title type documents.
plus they have been paying taxes and fees all along but haven't had the opportunity to go to mexico lately thus don't need a visa of any sort.
Rick

WOW....That was a mouthful, Rick. Can you break that down into small portions?
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.