Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Latest San Ysidro crossing info
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 08:00 AM
Latest San Ysidro crossing info

Leaving for our annual 6 month trip the day after Thanksgiving. What new changes are at the border? We always cross at 7 AM, going into "Declare" lane, stop, get FMTs (usually walk down to the main office), pay at the bank, and we're on our way. Any recent changes to that?

How about the US side? New checks?

Thanks!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 08:01 AM

Early October that was the drill. No change that I could see northbound.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 08:15 AM

You will be fine Jack. Excellent time to cross and no changes other than NICE aduana employees.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 08:19 AM

The Mexicans are progressing in their goal of more stringent southbound inspections. Last week the swinging arm gates were working and there were officals stopping all cars momentarily prior to reaching the gate while the car ahead was going through. They still are not yet questioning all drivers. After leaving the gate the cars were funneled into two lanes with more inspectors watching as you drove by. They've also added speed bump like things to the pavement after you leave the gate to slow things down.

The result, a moderate backup at a non rush hour time. Forget about crossing south on weekday afternoons unless you have to or like to wait in lines.
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 08:33 AM

Crossed on Saturday the 7th of November, at roughly 2 p.m.

No wait, waved thru, nothing unusual.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 09:38 AM

Crossed Sat. the 7th also at 0645, got waved in for inspection (Camper on back), took all of about 1.5 minutes and I was on my way. Crossed at SY last night 34 minute wait :o that's a record for me, was prepared for the worst.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 09:45 AM

Seems it's no longer the dreaded red light that travelers fear, it's the waving arm of the inspectors motioning you to the side for a look.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 09:51 AM

do they choke down 5 lanes into 2 during rush hour?

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-14-2009 at 09:53 AM

Southbound: Pulling into the Secondary parking ('Something to Declare' lane) last July, for FM-Ts what was different than the last time we did this:

Electronic gate arm, that automatically opens when you get to it (otherwise looks like the lane is closed for construction).

After getting our FM-Ts (no change, same procedure as before), we expected to drive on out of the covered secondary area, with the punch of the button for the red/ green light...

Oh, no... the officials said for us to get into the line of people who were declaring and paying tariff (even though I told him we were only gettng tourist cards and have nothing to declare), all so the officer could search our truck...

THEN he had me walk over to the button... got a green light... we left... This was on a Saturday, late morning... added maybe 45 minutes. I wondered what he would have done if I got a red light... since he already searched my truck?

So, if you guys are crossing when it is busy... maybe park past the border and walk back to INM... or just play the game in Secondary? Things may be different now... they were in a state of construction.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 08:52 AM

You didn't see him grabbing a pair of latex gloves did you?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 02:03 PM

Our experience was sismilar to David's. After getting FM-Ts, I drove toward the exit and was stopped by an officer who asked me to get in line behind other vehicles they were searching. I waived the FM-Ts at him, and he motioned us through. I'm thinking they may believe that people consciencious enogh to stop for the visas are way less likely to be carrying contraband.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I'm thinking they may believe that people consciencious enogh to stop for the visas are way less likely to be carrying contraband.

I'm thinking there's no rhyme or reason for most anything that happens in that place. Just when you think you have it figuered out, they do something different. Usually, all of it will defy logic. That's where they getcha.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 04:11 PM

I went down a few weeks ago, got the green light, got waved in anyway. The inspector made small talk as he opened all 20 or so boxes in the bed of my truck. He saw the new oak bed frame, and all the household goods I had. He saw the 12 gallons of paint I had and said "that's a nice color for a house". I don't know what he was hoping to find, but he just was not interested in what I had.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
He saw the 12 gallons of paint I had and said "that's a nice color for a house".

That's what I mean when I say, "Defying logic." Did you get his name? I want to request his attention.

"That's a nice color for a house?".....I don't know what to say.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 04:30 PM

I dunno, but since there's a Home Depot and a WalMart in Ensenada, I just don't understand the need to haul 12 gallons of paint across the border.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I dunno, but since there's a Home Depot and a WalMart in Ensenada, I just don't understand the need to haul 12 gallons of paint across the border.

Mostly it is so we can load the truck and drive to where I am going. Not stop and shop on the first day of a vacation. I cross the border early.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Mostly it is so we can load the truck and drive to where I am going. Not stop and shop on the first day of a vacation. I cross the border early.

Good luck, Steve. Hope you pass well.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 05:52 PM

just like at the military checkpoints, they are more concerned with ALL THE STUFF YOU CARRY!!!!

they're like tweekers, they just wanna dive in like it was a overflowing dumpster...........

i'm just saying!

[Edited on 11-16-2009 by woody in ob]

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 06:04 PM

I forgot to mention, after opening every box in the bed of the truck, he never even looked inside the crew cab. Where all the booze rides.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-15-2009 at 08:27 PM

Crossed a couple weeks ago in my Yukon XL loaded with "stuff" nothing illegal. Got a red light (I think) and it was too crowded to easily pull over so just kept going real slow. Went right past the guy who normally waves you over, he didn't do a thing so I kept on going and here I am in Loreto.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.