Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kayaking to Espiritu Santo
galumphix

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 03:23 PM
Kayaking to Espiritu Santo

Hi all -

We'd like to sea kayak to Espiritu Santo during our Christmas trip. Some questions for y'all:

- Where's the best place to rent a sea kayak? I found two places online (Sea & Adventures, BOA), and I'm wondering if there are more out there without a web presence. Do we need to reserve in advance, or can we wing it?

- We both have a couple of overnight sea kayak trips under our belts (most were in lakes and rivers) but are by no means experts (we have many years of whitewater rafting experience, FWIW). Rental kayak places ask that we be 'experienced,' which we are--but I'm just wondering: how daunting is the return trip from the island to the mainland? I anticipate we'll have the shuttle take us out to the island and paddle back. I just wonder if the companies are asking that renters be experienced to encourage us to take a guided trip.

Thanks, everyone!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 04:54 PM

http://www.kayakbaja.com/rentals.html

$100 each way for the shuttle is well worth it; unless you're the type that likes to jog for fun. :rolleyes:
It will allow you to spend your time exploring the island.
DO prepare for an extra night or 2 in case you have to wait out the wind.

Also consider taking a portable VHF radio.

[Edited on 11-24-2009 by Diver]
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 06:42 PM

We recommend Espiritu Baja Tours, in La Paz on the Malecon. Say Barry & Vanda sent you.

You need a Federal permit to spend the night on the island. Might be difficult to obtain. They patrol rather thoroughly.

Have fun!

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 10:42 PM

Sounds like you want some adventure.

I kayaked Espiritu Santo for 10 days in 1989 and spent all that time on the west side of that island system. We hired a fisherman to take us to and from the south end of the main island ....we departed from just north of Pichilingui...

At that time, no permits were needed and it was far less-frequented than it seems to be presently (Que lastima).

We packed in all our water and food.

I would never suggest to anyone that I cared for to try to paddle to or from the island from the mainland....the winds are too treacherous as are the currents there....and it sounds like your ocean kayaking experience is very limited.

Go with a tour group.

Don't believe everything you think....
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 11:35 PM

Get a guide. Lots of traffic on that area, currents, etc

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2009 at 08:02 AM

That is still something on my list of things to do but I do know they rent kayaks and run you over to the island from Tecolote.

In Memory of E-57
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2009 at 08:35 AM

I was out there yesterday, and I have kayaked between tecolote and espiritu santo, it takes a good hour to make across the channel which is very dynamic due to its shallow shelf versus the channel and the layout of both espiritu santo and cerralvo, so you would need to be aware of many factors for the sprint across, such as wind, tides, currents, traffic, it is a critical passage. Wind yesterday in the afternoon was 15knots.

You may check with bajaex.com too.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2009 at 12:42 PM

What gnukid said. And when he says "sprint" - that's what you need to do. If the weather if favorable - at first light - and the time of the current is favorable - then go for it without stopping. A steady paddle. There is ship traffic which you must yield to, so stay out of any other boat's way. You should be able to surf down moderate swells, and have the stamina to paddle continuously through chop and a headwind.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-26-2009 at 07:44 AM

like this! stolen from another thread. i figured you'd better see this. know the weather before you launch. there's no ome to save you from yourselves....

Thanks, Pompano for the foto!

[Edited on 11-26-2009 by woody in ob]

200911-25-26WIND2.jpg - 43kB

galumphix

[*] posted on 11-28-2009 at 01:18 PM

Okay, so how about getting dropped off on the island and hiking from there? Anyone done/recommend that?

Thanks!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-28-2009 at 01:46 PM

Kayaking the west side of Espiritu is a delightful experience with proper preparation (NO water on island) and no macho attitude about surfing the rollers....if the whitecaps are out there, stay on the beach!!!!

As for hiking....for a day, maybe two....okay....water, snakes, and injuries would be your main concerns

Don't believe everything you think....
SunnyDay

[*] posted on 11-28-2009 at 02:16 PM
Kayak to Islands

I'd advise going with the outfitters -- both BOA and Mar y Adventura are long-time business operators with excellent guides and reputations. I have had overnight trips with both. The solo trip is such a pain, getting to Tecolate with kayaks to launch for starters. It's pretty far to kayak in less that perfect weather to get to the island, better to be transported over and kayak around vs. to the islands, they have all the set up and gear. You can bring or rent tents/etc. They do the food and it's excellent. You won't feel as if you're on a "if it's Tuesday it must be London" type trip at all.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 09:55 AM

Getting dropped off at an island would be fine, but be sure you have plenty of water and snorkle gear. Also, it can get VERY windy - so be sure your tent has a good rain fly to keep the sand out, and tie downs to keep it from blowing away.
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 12:40 PM
Between El Tecolote and Espiritu Santo

Kayaking with some wind and waves off El Tecolote but not headed for Espiritu Santo!

The kids enjoying surf kicked up by the wind.

Between El Tecolote and Espiritu Santo.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 05:50 PM

Not an attitude - but necessary skills. It is very likely that the return trip would have swells - a following sea - and would require the expertise to handle them so as not to get broadside and roll or nose dive. A sit-on-top is NOT the way to go. Again, scope it out at daybreak, before the wind and boat traffic. A sprint of 3 miles should take an hour.
galumphix

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 10:15 AM

Thanks, all! We may stick to day trips and buzz over there in a panga for some hiking.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 10:41 AM

Nearby, Loba La surfiesta and friends

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.