BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The rental car cost/benefit analysis
galumphix

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 11:45 PM
The rental car cost/benefit analysis

First off, I gotta say how fantastic you nomads are, and how generous you all are with information. On behalf of us newbies, many thanks.

I'm plotting our two-week Baja vacation next month and am wondering when/where to rent a car.

We'll be flying into/out of Cabo. We're heading to Baja for adventure, not for the party scene (not that we're against parties, of course), and will be looking to spend several days sea kayaking and beach camping. We're down for checking out historical areas, too, and love hiking and exploring.

I'm guessing that busing it and staying in hotels is more expensive than renting a car and camping...? True?

I'm wondering if it makes sense to bus it to La Paz, kayak a few days, then rent a car and beach camp it from then on.

Thanks!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2009 at 07:21 AM

A couple of question pop up immediately....how will you get your camping gear here and how do you plan to transport your kayaks?

BUT no matter the answer to those questions, I say rent a car!

galumphix

[*] posted on 11-25-2009 at 09:02 AM

We'll pack a backpacking tent, bags and pads in our stuff (we have plenty of backpacking/car camping gear). I'm geussing we might have to spring for a third bag. We'll probably have to rent/buy a cooler and possibly chairs. I'm hoping that wherever we rent the kayaks, they'll help us transport them.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2009 at 09:41 AM

Busses and cheap hotel will be nearly equivalent to the +/-$60 day car rental fee. You gain mobility with the car to go to more out of the way places though. I would take an inflatable double kayak that fits in an a backpack (Innova Helios).
Rental kayaks won't be found at out of the way camping places only hotels.
Sounds like an adventure which is the most important thing.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2009 at 09:43 AM

When I have done that sort of thing I have packed my backpack with all the gear just like I was trekking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. You can't bring camp stove fuel on the plane, but propane and white gas is easy to find. I usually buy a stryrofoam ice chest. It seems like the kayak companies that charge over 1,000 dollars a week for a tour have all of the trekking kayaks, and the regular daily rental kayaks are the sit on top variety for 35 dollars per day. I haven't seen any transportation offered for the daily rentals. No matter what you do, you're going to spend plenty of money. Remember that you'll need insurance with the car rental. You can stop and camp a bit at the surf camps between Cabo San Lucas and Todos Santos. You can also hire a guide with pack animal in the Sierra Laguna hills. If I had the money, that's what I'd be doing this winter. I'd rent right from Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo - whichever is cheaper. Take pictures of your car before departure to document any prior damage so you don't get dinged for that. It should be a great adventure if you keep an open mind.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2009 at 10:05 AM

Kayaking 2-3 days on the islands there would work out fine then don't count on much kayaking after that. There are a lot of places you might enjoy before La Paz, so you might want to rent your car in Cabo. Santiago hotsprings, Sierra La Laguna, Cabo Pulmo, other places of interest to visit 1-3 hours, and then move on. A side trip to Todos Santos. You can easily bring all your car camping stuff, and with a propane stove, likely find the fuel you need on the cape somewhere, but later, when the towns and stores are smaller, less likely. the store in Las Barillas (sp?) has a pricey, yet decent, selection of such stuff. You can buy a styrofoam ice chest somewhere. Ice is available fairly readily, and you'll be able to replenish as needed. I would suggest you bring clothing and gear for COLD weather. It can be freezing overnight. If you have room, bring snorkle and mask. If you have room too, bring dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds, nutrition bars, powdered soups. You won't find these items everywhere in Baja, and they'll be much appreciated when you're happily off road and there isn't a store around for 75 miles. (Please leave no trace. )

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.