Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Bahia de Los Angeles airport closed
airmech
Nomad

Mood: Expeditionary

[*] posted on 11-27-2009 at 08:11 PM
Bahia de Los Angeles airport closed

The officials at San Felipe advised today that Bahia de Los Angeles is closed because the permit expired. Whoever was in charge of renewal for the airport forgot. No info on when it will be allowed open. Some aircraft have been in and out but there is no guarantee of non federal action with pilots.

[Edited on 11-28-2009 by airmech]

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute.

— George Bernard Shaw
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2009 at 08:15 PM

I think Larry the Cable Guy would say "Thats funny, I don't care who ya are"! Typical Mexico. Forgot to renew the airport permit hahahaha.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-28-2009 at 07:06 AM

go easy on the guy. i forgot to renew a dig permit last month.

we kept digging!

[Edited on 11-28-2009 by woody in ob]

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-28-2009 at 09:06 AM

it's all about the $$. a renewal comes with a fee so the municipality or if private an individual must fork it over to the feds.
this is why the San Juanico strip closed forever in the late 80s - Gloria the mayor didn't have the dough and town couldn't raise it. So the flying sams had to move down the peninsula to Las Barrancas.
then we cracked up one piper there and they wouldn't keep the strip safe so we startred landing at the private strip on the hill by San Ysidro and bus over till they started to forget to send the bus!

the strip is called Purisima and is owned by the Ca. doc that has his own clinic there. I have CRS and forgot the name only that 2 leetle towns are like a mile apart. La Purisima and San Ysidero. the baja mill went roght by there one year. both towns were jazzed. i walked from one to the other in Jan following the race. i think it was 2000 when it went to Cabo.

we said enough and started to build a new clinic at Lopez Mateo.

[Edited on 12-1-2009 by capt. mike]

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Carlos Fiesta
Junior Nomad

Mood: Fiesty

[*] posted on 11-28-2009 at 10:34 PM
Airport Permits in Baja

Same deal for the Cadeje airport. The folks in these villages do not have a lot of money and keeping the airports open is not a big priority for them. As much as we all hate landing fees its probably not a bad idea for these small strips to charge pilots a few bucks to they can save up towards the next airport permit fee. But by the time the new permit would be due I am sure they would have spent the money on something else! God I love Baja!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 07:38 AM

Carlos - are Aeromedicos from Santa Barabara paying the Cadaje permit?
i'd gladly pay a landing fee plus overnight tie down for access to any good strip that is as close to a town and the ocean as the old SJ strip was in the mid 80s!
but - there aren't any on the pacific side except maybe campo Lorenzo in SQ.

"where have all the old strips gone...?? Long time passing.."

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2009 at 10:31 AM

Anyone know when the government started collecting fees from the villages or campos for the airstrips? Another example of government hurting the people just to line their pockets... since he government doesn't maintain the dirt strips.

Bahia de los Angeles airport (the paved strips) were built by the government, so how is it the local town needs to pay a fee... or was the airport 'given' to the ejido after it was built?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

airmech
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 06:22 PM

Just got some more info on the airport closure.
Apparently, the license for Bahia de Los Angeles expired a few years ago and, like half of the airports in Baja, the expired license status was simply ignored because, in most cases, the license renewal was "in process"

Apparently, there is a unique issue with the airport at Bahia de Los Angeles in that there is a disagreement between the Ejido and the Government and neither party will agree to take responsibility for the airport and keep the license status current.

There is a possibility, if the license status is not brought current in the next 60 days, the runway will be "entrenched" so nobody can land there.

Jack from the Baja Bush Pilots is in the process of updating the BBP web page to put out he information.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute.

— George Bernard Shaw
airmech
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 06:31 PM

I don't know how the fee thing works at most dirt strips. I do know that the dirt strip owner must pay a permit fee for so many years and I think it might be pricey.
It's mostly the towered airports that hit you up with all the fees. landing fees, wing tax fees, etc and they change from year to year and airport to airport. Not really consistent. But still cheaper then landing at say John Wayne airport in the US where they charge you a $50 landing fee.

The newest fee when I checked out of Mexicali last was the "exit fee" They are now charging 5 dollars a person to leave the country. I don't know if they are doing this at other AOE's like San Felipe or Loreto yet.

— George Bernard Shaw
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 07:32 PM

There is no requirement to check out at an AOE.

Quote:
Originally posted by airmech
I don't know how the fee thing works at most dirt strips. I do know that the dirt strip owner must pay a permit fee for so many years and I think it might be pricey.
It's mostly the towered airports that hit you up with all the fees. landing fees, wing tax fees, etc and they change from year to year and airport to airport. Not really consistent. But still cheaper then landing at say John Wayne airport in the US where they charge you a $50 landing fee.

The newest fee when I checked out of Mexicali last was the "exit fee" They are now charging 5 dollars a person to leave the country. I don't know if they are doing this at other AOE's like San Felipe or Loreto yet.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

airmech
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 09:09 PM

The last info today is that if the Ejido and the Feds (whoever that is) don't settle it in the next two months the runway may be ditched.
And I just moved down my motorhome for the winter use.
ARRRGH.

— George Bernard Shaw
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2009 at 10:24 PM

Quote:
The last info today is that if the Ejido and the Feds (whoever that is) don't settle it in the next two months the runway may be ditched.
And I just moved down my motorhome for the winter use.
ARRRGH.

No problems, last time down I noticed that Beach Bob had just drug a bunch of tires back and forth on the road into his place - must be 1/2 mile of flat, straight dirt. Just north of Gecko, can't miss it, look for the pirates flag - will work as sort of a wind sock. Arrivals and departures before 8:00am and after dark are not suggested.:cool:
airmech
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 08:17 AM

The old Munoz strip near Beach Bob's is technically closed too I think, but not ditched. If I have to I'll go in there when they ditch Bahia's airport.

— George Bernard Shaw
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Another example of government hurting the people just to line their pockets... since he government doesn't maintain the dirt strips.

Quote:

Apparently, there is a unique issue with the airport at Bahia de Los Angeles in that there is a disagreement between the Ejido and the Government and neither party will agree to take responsibility for the airport and keep the license status current.

There is a possibility, if the license status is not brought current in the next 60 days, the runway will be "entrenched" so nobody can land there.

David, since neither the locals or the federal government want the expense of running the airport, looks like it may be another example of smaller government and budget cutting hurting the people.:biggrin:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 08:40 AM
because this was all started by the USA

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Anyone know when the government started collecting fees from the villages or campos for the airstrips? Another example of government hurting the people just to line their pockets... since he government doesn't maintain the dirt strips.

Bahia de los Angeles airport (the paved strips) were built by the government, so how is it the local town needs to pay a fee... or was the airport 'given' to the ejido after it was built?

DEA putting pressure on Mexico to close or control all un regulated strips as part of drug interdiction. so - you can thank uncle Sam for sticking its nose AGAIN where it don't belong!! and since you asked.....this began in mid 1980s

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 08:47 AM
yes there is.

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
There is no requirement to check out at an AOE.

Quote:

fishbuck - beg to differ but you are not up to speed on eAPIS apparantly. and the mexican regulation is not one of DGAC but of IMMS and is still an enforeable offense.
plus now with eAPIS in effect it is impossible to activate in returning without an origination at a mex AOE that has an identifier that the system will accept.
i used to sneak out all the time - even in (to baja) a few times if i had my multi authorization for the year and didn't need a gas stop once here - gotta love 90 gals and 7 hour range!.
those days are all gone.... thx a lot DHS. i feel SO much safer now.....NOT!!!!!!!!!!

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 08:55 AM

"The newest fee when I checked out of Mexicali last was the "exit fee" They are now charging 5 dollars a person to leave the country. I don't know if they are doing this at other AOE's like San Felipe or Loreto yet."

yes - the $5 pax dep tax is being charged at all SEANAM towered airports if you file to exit the country. and most of the newly privatized airports like MMCL are doing the same thing.

who says private flying was expensive?..... $5 here...$5 there soon you're talking real pesos.........:O

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 04:46 PM

"fishbuck -beg to differ but you are not up to speed on eAPIS apparantly. and the mexican regulation is not one of DGAC but of IMMS and is still an enforeable offense.
plus now with eAPIS in effect it is impossible to activate in returning without an origination at a mex AOE that has an identifier that the system will accept."

You are correct Cap. I never heard of it. eApis...Electronic Advance Passenger Information System.
I looked it up but didn't register so I don't know what's in there.
So I just enter in an AOE. Doesn't mean I will leave from one. Although I probably would because I might need fuel.
Can you tell me the regulation in IMMS so I can look it up?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

airmech
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 08:30 PM

At the moment there is no cross check to see if you really left from the airport you said you did. As long as you give epee an AOE for your last aiport you are good. Kinda like when we leave the US it won't take our actual departure airport.

— George Bernard Shaw
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2009 at 08:54 PM

they just closed it by NOTAM officially, BOLA muni.
if you land there they can confiscate your plane and detain the pilot. expect it to be ditched/trenched. bad news for a town that needs the biz.

Fishbuck - you need to talk to Tom at 1st Flight re the new procedures.
you have to have electronic permission now to leave the country by plane and return thru customs via DHS and CBP registration and email access.
if you don't it is a $5000 fine and they mean biz amigo.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.